shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA and AGS color grading

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

roy

Rough_Rock
I recently ordered a diamond that had both GIA and AGS certificates. Both certs list the diamond as a G color. However, when I took the diamond to two independent gemologists, they both confirmed that the diamond is actually an H. How can this be so? I sent the diamond back to the vendor and he and his people confirmed the same thing. Can GIA and AGS be wrong on this diamond? Does this happen often?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
That's really weird. Of course theoretically it is possible (GIA and AGS gradings are done by humans).

Did you show the grading reports to the apprisers? What was their reaction?

Is it possible they tried to kill the sale?

roy

Rough_Rock
No, I did not show the gemologists the certs until they finished grading the diamond. Everything else matched perfectly. Both gemologists did not try to sell me anything. Both suggested that I try to get a better price.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
So what was their reaction when you shown them the grading reports?

roy

Rough_Rock
They were quite surprised that both certs graded the diamond a G. They said they would have to defer to the certs but in their opinion, the stone was not a G quality.

Another question: Why is the price per carat on the same cut, clarity, color, symmetry, and polish be as much as $1000 on pricescope? It can't just be different cutters. Doesn't it have to be the stone?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
Another question: Why is the price per carat on the same cut, clarity, color, symmetry, and polish be as much as $1000 on pricescope? It can't just be different cutters. Doesn't it have to be the stone?
----------------

If this these are the prices for different stones, yes it can depends on different wholesalers or cutters. Different wholesallers can price similar diamonds differently (up to 20%). So you can find a better deal for the similar stone.

If it is exactly the same stone, it means different internet brokers list it with the different markups.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results