carat
color
clarity

GIA 1132046437 @ $7,600 vs. GIA 2126471841 @ $8,600

mattydelorean

Rough_Rock
1.23 ct GIA 1132046437 @ $7,600 vs. 1.30 ct GIA 2126471841 @ $8,600

Which is the better value ?

I am shying away from the 1.30 ct because of (1) the cloud in the table (2) the measurements are almost identical to the 1.23ct and (3) the 1.23 looks better in person. (4) its $1,000 more.

What I can't get over through is that the 1.30 is obviously a larger ct weight and it is a VS2. I keep telling myself though that I am buying a diamond and not a certification. What do you guys think ?

Thanks!
Matt

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
If the 1.23 ct looks better in most lighting in person and is eye clean to my standards I would pick that over the 1.30 ct. I doubt the size difference will be noticeable once set.

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
As far as numbers and proportions, they both have potential. Can you get an IS image for these stones, or look at it through and Idealscope? I don't think you would have anything to worry about with a cloud in a VS stone, but you could ask the vendor or better yet, get it appraised to make sure. So, I'm assuming you've seen these stones in person since you said the 1.23 looked better, was the 1.23 eyeclean to your liking?

mattydelorean

Rough_Rock
Surprisingly the 1.23 SI1 looked clearer to m and had more fire and sparkle.

I think I'm going with the 1.23. If anyone wants the 1.30 I have until Monday to release it so let me know.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
thbmok|1315604333|3013919 said:
If the 1.23 ct looks better in most lighting in person and is eye clean to my standards I would pick that over the 1.30 ct. I doubt the size difference will be noticeable once set.

Agreed. Between the lower price, and the fact it looked better to you - you should opt for that one.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
where are these for sale? Online or locally?

mattydelorean

Rough_Rock
locally it took m a long time to haggle these down. Still not sure if I'm getting a good deal.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
what's the return policy? Can you take it back for a full refund if you change your mind?

Id go with the 1.23 over the 1.3 if you don't care for the inclusion or the price. But are you completely ruling out the online route?

mattydelorean

Rough_Rock
couldn't find it cheaper online.....if you can let m know. 30 day money back guarantee on both.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
The 1.23 scores a 1.6 on HCA (anything under 2 is good) and 1A on the cut class tool. From the numbers it looks like a great diamond and if you have seen it in person and you like it then it sounds like a great choice! Definitely try to look at it in different lighting to make sure that it is eye-clean to your standards.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you post the information here in the thread? I'd like to help you but you are making me work too hard ;))

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.85 - 6.89 x 4.24 mm

Carat Weight: 1.23 carat
Color Grade: I
Clarity Grade: SI1
Cut Grade: Excellent

Proportions:
Depth: 61.7%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 35.0°
Crown Height: 15.0%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium, Faceted
Culet: None

Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Comments: Additional clouds are not shown. Surface graining is not shown.

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.99 - 7.00 x 4.31 mm

Carat Weight: 1.30 carat
Color Grade: I
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent

Proportions:
Depth: 61.6%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.5°
Crown Height: 15.0%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None

Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Both stones score under 2 on the HCA which means they are worth further investigation. It does not mean they are 'good'. The next step would be an IS image of both stones. The 1.23 has a 35 CA and could be fine or may have some leakage due to GIA rounding as it is a borderline steep/deep.

Quoted by Stone:
"If in an ideal world and all the facets are 35/40.8, the stone would be a good performer. But the number is in fact an average of 8 different crown and pavilion facets and then rounded so leakage might be possible, an IS will tell more..."
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thoughts-on-this-3-ex-gia-diamond-steep-and-deep.121220/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thoughts-on-this-3-ex-gia-diamond-steep-and-deep.121220/[/URL]

mattydelorean

Rough_Rock
Hey, thanks for the advice. I asked the jeweler to show me the diamond through an idealscope. I will let you know how that turns our when he responds.

I was pretty content and happy based on the look of the diamond in person so I am hoping the IS image confirms my choice rather than discredits it.

Curious though of how a diamond could have varying crown angles on each facet and still get an excellent symmetry rating....

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Symmetry refers to how the facets are aligned to each other. When the facets meet perfectly they receive the top grade. Symmetry is not graded based on the proportions of the facets.

mattydelorean

Rough_Rock
The jeweler said that the 1.23's ideal scope was perfect and he wants to show me in person on Monday.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is sounding quite promising. I look very forward to hearing what you think when you see in person again.

mattydelorean

Rough_Rock
Took a look at it through the Ideal Scope and it looked good to me - the diamond was already mounted. I did see SOME white but overall it was mostly pink/red - I am guessing its within the Ideal/Very Good region. I didn't get a picture though.

How does the fact that the diamond was in the setting effect the results of the IS ?

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on the quality of the backlighting. Leakage is harder to see if the light is blocked (i.e. by a setting) from entering the pavilion. Did you also look at the IS image of the other stone? If not, I highly encourage you to do so.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_mounted_diamonds.asp

mattydelorean

Rough_Rock
I paid for the 1.23 and took it this afternoon.

I didn't look at the other diamond through the ideal scope. I don't think it would have told me much - it clearly didn't have the same POP as the 1.23 carat stone in any lighting.

I have a 30 day money back guarantee so I will definitely get it appraised and go from there.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY! Cannot wait to see pics of the finished ring!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who was the jeweler? I am surprised to hear of a B&M jeweler familiar with ideal scopes. Are you sure he was not just using an arrow viewer? It also looks red, but it is not the same thing.

mattydelorean

Rough_Rock
Im sure it was an Idealscope - looked exactly like the pictures I see online. He even said something like "No one on the block will have one of these things".

The email he sent me when I asked about the IS was this - "The diamond is set and ready and looks great. I did check the diamond under the idealscope before I had it sent out to be set. The diamond has great light return and the idealscope was perfect. I will show you tomorrow."

The next day he showed me the IS with the stone set as well as loose stones with the same cut angles for me to benchmark it against.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cannot wait to see this thing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results