shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA 1.57 - Is this a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

khiroshima

Rough_Rock
November 25, 2002
Shape: round brilliant
Measurements: 7.52 x 7.58 x 4.58mm (not exactly sure on these stats)
Weight: 1.57 carat

Depth: 60.7%
Table: 60%
Girdle: thin, faceted
Culet: None

Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent

Clarity: VS1
Color: D
Fluorescence: None

Never really looked much at this type of purchase and looking to see if $14,000 OTD is a good price for such a stone. I will obviously have to mount it, but by far that will be the least of my worries after dropping the dough for the rock. Thank you for your opinions and replies. Kevin

adiamond4sale

Rough_Rock
what cert gia egl

adiamond4sale

Rough_Rock
for gia you are a good price

khiroshima

Rough_Rock
Thanks, yes. It is GIA. Appreciate the feedback, like I said, I have no idea what's good and not good. Seems to be a lot of experts here . . . Kevin

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get more information, such as Sarin results, crown and pav angle, etc. The specs are not ideal (e.g. 60 depth and 60 table), but the stone could still be beautiful. I personally think you may be overpaying. Do you want a D color or will something that is colorless suffice, such as F? If so, you can get a 1.5 F VS1/VS2 for around $13-15k with an exceptional cut. You may like this stone that you are looking at--and not care about the cut, but for that amount of $$, make sure you are not overpaying for an average cut stone. The trade will discount non well-cut stones and you should make sure they do.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are a few examples for you to view. Even if you buy offline, its good to know what an excellently cut stone will cost you.

http://www.niceice.com/certcopies/gia12356016/index.htm ($11890k pscope pricing 1.48 F VS1 H&A AGS0 1.3HCA)

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=427169 ($14687 pscope pricing 1.55 F VS2 ACA H&A AGS0 0.9HCA)

If you decide you want to consider a G, which should still face up white esp with an excellent cut:

http://www.niceice.com/certcopies/gia12392212/index.htm ( $12800 1.56 G VS2 AGS0 1.4HCA)

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=353544 ($14537 1.56 G VS2 H&A AGS0 ACA 1.7HCA)

I also ran a quick search on 60/60 D VS1 stones in your carat range and found that they are priced at $13-14.5k. So the price you are being quouted IS inline with other stones...BUT in my opinion, you are paying extra for the D color and sacrificing cut. Get more info from a Sarin if you want to still consider this stone.

What are your priorities, is it excellent cut (aka fire, sparkle, brilliance) or colorlessness?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I love nice 60/60 stones... When well made they can be extremely beautiful (and will look slightly larger than an ideal cut stone weighing about the same)!!!
I'd ask the seller for a Sarin report (preferably a full one, with the topdown graph and eveything else)... As soon as you get this data, be sure to post it and we'll tell you if this stone is nice and worth its price...
1.gif

khiroshima

Rough_Rock
All,

Thank you for the feedback, I had never heard of this Sarin report, so I will go and ask for it now.

Mara: Do I want D color? Yes, but it's not critical to me. Essentially I feel that color can easily be seen by the naked eye and I wanted something high on that scale. For the clarity, I don't even own a loop, so if I need 10x magnification to see a spot or two, I feel I can live with that.
1.gif
I also thought that the specs were pretty close to ideal (60 depth and 60 table), what should the proportions be?

Another item I am misunderstanding is in the second link you gave me, you are talking $12,800, but when I click on the link, it quotes $15,460. What am I missing here?

My priorities? 1) Cut 2) Color 3) Clarity

Like I mentioned, I thought a 60/60 stone was a good thing. Thank you for the effort and the links. I appreciate that you are willing to share your knowledge with a new comer. Especially a newcomer asking all the same questions everyone else asks! Thanks again, Kevin

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well 'ideal' as a term is overutilized, and everyone will have their own two cents on what specs you should look for. A table of 60% is a little large, I would look for a stone with a table no higher than 58%. The depth would be fine if you had a smaller table (or COULD be fine is more apt...as it depends on more than just the table and depth to determine cut). However as Giangi said, some 60/60 stones may be beautiful. My stone is a 61/57 stone (meaning 61% table, 57% depth) which some might think it backwards but its very pretty. However AGS grades it as a 7 on a scale of 0-10. If you are looking for a great cut, focus on AGS 0 or AGS 1 stones as it will most likely weed out some of the chaff.

All of the stones I listed have what many could consider 'ideal' specs, which really just translates to: those should all be very excellent cut stones. NiceIce is pretty discriminating on their stone selection, and WhiteFlash also has many positive marks to its name. The A Cut Above stones have excellent light return, which is another mark of a well cut stone. Check out the IdealScope images (red and black hearts/arrows).

I don't get which stone you are confused on? My second link is the WhiteFlash stone for $14687k. If you see it says $15k on their site, its because the price I posted is special for Pricescope customers. Make sure you mention this if you call or email them. Some vendors give discounts if you use the Pscope engine to find their stones--WF is one of those vendors. The THIRD stone I posted is $12800 and that is from NI.

Again--definitely get the Sarin results on your stone. It could be a very well cut 60/60. Or it may not be!

On your D/colorless comments, you may be like Lugus, who can easily see a difference between an E and an F stone. I would suggest that if you are interested in colorless, stay within D/E/F. Those grades are technically all still colorless and 99.99% of the general public will never see a difference in them WHILE MOUNTED. But don't overpay for the D grading if you don't need it.

As a little dose of my reality, my stone is a G and it faces up just as white as my coworkers E stone. I had them side by side the other day and there was no difference at all. Everyone comments on how white my stone is. Both are mounted in platinum. I have also seen mounted I stones which look like E's to me and my fiance (who has better eyes than me!). People's eyes can be good but not THAT good. Also no one stares at your stone long enough to recognize color, unless of course its a K/L/M/N/O etc. Just my opinion of course...
1.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The price is reasonable if the stone is a Class 2 Cut or better (see http://www.gemappraisers.com/chrt1.htm).

It would be nice to know the crown/pavilion height/angles. They're probably pretty good, considering the rest of the stats, but it's always nice to know for sure when shelling out 14 grand.

Make the sale contigent upon appraising out to your satisfaction with an independent appraiser and you can't lose.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
For all you people out there that think a 60/60 is a great diamond.

Once upon a time, I worked for a guy that thought that a 60/60 diamond was the perfect diamond. He also thought that the 60/60 was close enough to be an ideal cut.

Of course, he did not know that one of those 60's was a combination of three numbers that had to be divided up just right to make the 60 work. He was also completely unaware of what an AGS Ideal really was.

This man is a very successful jeweler and going strong. He sells a better than average product and at a lower than average price. He could never understand why anyone would buy a smaller but prettier diamond when they could have a larger and "just as pretty" diamond for the same price.

Thank goodness there are people out there that want the most beautiful diamond that they can afford for the one they love, because they think they are worth it. Also thank goodness there is a small pool of dealers here on pricescope that cater to those peoples needs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results