shape
carat
color
clarity

getting stone into setting both bought on internet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dschmid

Rough_Rock
just a few logistical questions.

How does one go about getting a stone and a setting bought from different online vendors together to make a ring?

ie who sets the diamond in a setting if you buy from different vendors?

Would I have the diamond sent to the place setting it without seeing it first?

Once it is together who gives you a warranty?

If the person setting the diamond were to damage it would they still pay for the problem even thought you didnt buy it from them?

Do most places have a moneyback guarentee if the fiancee doesnt like their component (ie the diamond or the setting)?

Thanks, getting closer to the purchase!

DS

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
From what I''ve read...a conservative approach is to have the place where you''re getting the setting...do the setting. And, if they won''t insure the setting work, including the stone (probably not), have both pieces insured first before setting...using either JM to do this, or possibly Touchstone reached at the WF site.

Since you''re dong this a la carte...if you want full service protection...you''ll probably have to roll up your sleeves to get it done. Search here to confirm for yourself.

Regards,

well, usually if you buy a diamond from someone online they are willing to set the diamond into a setting for your at their risk (if they chip the diamond you bought from them they will replace it), provided they agree that there is no unusual risk due to your particular setting. I would also talk to them about the possibility that they damage the ring wihle in their possession, such as break a prong, etc, and make sure that they are ready to cover that cost. Because the risk of such is minimal it would not be worth them losing a sale over and so most places i have spoken with are willing to absorb that risk for the sake of the purchase. Sometimes there might be a small setting fee, but I think if you talk to them about it before you purchase the diamond they will probably waive it for you, but they may not. Then you just mail them the setting, it is insured while being set, and get the final product insured ASAP.

From my experience the people you bought the setting from will usually set it for you as well, but that will generally involve a setting fee and it won't be insured while they are setting it, though some places offer setting insurance with it for an additional fee.

obviously as far as warranties on the craftsmanship of the merch, if a business other than the one that made the setting is doing work on it that would nullify any craftsmanship warranties you have. But if you buy from reputable vendor and inspect the craftsmanship before hand and quickly thereafter get an appraisal and insurance there isn't much risk involved.

just don't let your mice get at it.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How does one go about getting a stone and a setting bought from different online vendors together to make a ring?

It depends on your ring and your diamond. Sometimes it’s easy and sometimes there’s a bit of retrofitting required to make them work together. Occasionally it’s impossible. That’s why the recommendations to get them from the same place. It’s a bummer to buy a bunch of non-returnable components only to find out later that they won’t fit together in the way you want. Work this out in advance, before you commit to the parts.

There are 3 choices. The diamond dealer, the setting supplier or a 3rd party entirely. If you can’t get them from the same place, I usually like to use the setting supplier, followed by the diamond supplier (although most won’t do it) and lastly a 3rd party setter.

Would I have the diamond sent to the place setting it without seeing it first?

The act of setting usually voids your return privileges on the diamond so make sure you’re happy with the stone before you have it set. It’s up to you to decide if you can do this without seeing it but most people prefer a personal inspection and possibly a professional evaluation first.

Once it is together who gives you a warranty?

No one. Most of the setting manufacturers will warrant against inherent defects in the mounting but, for the most part, it’s on you. Insurance is available that covers everything you would expect in an excellent warranty and then some. I recommend it even if you do have a warranty from the jeweler.

If the person setting the diamond were to damage it would they still pay for the problem even thought you didnt buy it from them?

It will depend on the policies of the setter. Some will and some won’t. Ask.

Do most places have a moneyback guarentee if the fiancee doesnt like their component (ie the diamond or the setting)?

No.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best (least hassle) thing to do is to purchase both the stone and setting at the same place, and have that place do the setting. They most usually will set for free, and have a motivation for doing a good job. Second most conservative is to have where you purchased the stone do the setting. Most places you purchase a setting from are going to reluctantly if at all set your stone; they are not going to want to incur the potential cost of insuring/paying for possibly broken stone that you did not buy from them, just for the small profit they got from selling you a setting. They will typically charge you for the setting.

And of course get someone who knows what they are doing to set your stone.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I have had a stone and setting bought from different places online. I took them to a very high end jeweler (but not Tiffany or anyone stuffy like that) and they charged $70 to set the stone. They also said that both the stone and the setting were 100% guaranteed while in their posession (in case of chipping or damage while they were setting it) and that they would be happy to check prongs, etc., later on. Mind you, they are the long-time jeweler of my gazillionaire cousin, and her mother before her, so they may have been extra nice for that reason?

But it''s worth asking!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/11/2007 11:57:59 AM
Author: part gypsy
The best (least hassle) thing to do is to purchase both the stone and setting at the same place, and have that place do the setting. They most usually will set for free, and have a motivation for doing a good job. Second most conservative is to have where you purchased the stone do the setting. Most places you purchase a setting from are going to reluctantly if at all set your stone; they are not going to want to incur the potential cost of insuring/paying for possibly broken stone that you did not buy from them, just for the small profit they got from selling you a setting. They will typically charge you for the setting.

And of course get someone who knows what they are doing to set your stone.

Setters get paid, and good ones actually get paid pretty well. What you want is a good one. It’s correct that the diamond dealer is probably making more profit on the deal than the setting manufacturer and they may be a little more willing to absorb this cost but I wouldn’t bet on it and if they feel pinched they may be inclined to choose a less than excellent craftsman. It depends on the dealer you chose. That said, this is a bad place to try to save a $100 on a $10,000 purchase. Finding someone who can do the job properly is far more important than whether they will do it for ‘free’.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2007 8:07:12 AM
Author: denverappraiser

There are 3 choices. The diamond dealer, the setting supplier or a 3rd party entirely. If you can’t get them from the same place, I usually like to use the setting supplier, followed by the diamond supplier (although most won’t do it) and lastly a 3rd party setter.
Neil,

I wonder if this particular scenario modifies your usual suggestion on this.

Don''t you say to have the vendor who sells you the ring do the setting, because they could refuse the sale if it looks to them like the diamond won''t properly fit into the piece? But, in this case, based on the info given, both pieces are purchased already. Would this turn the order of operations back to the one where the risk, if assumed by the diamond seller to do the setting, would leave the customer safer?

Maybe your comment that "most won''t do it" anyway is the main practical point. But, I don''t know. I think WF does do it. They''re pretty big here.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2007 4:45:16 PM
Author: Regular Guy

Neil,

I wonder if this particular scenario modifies your usual suggestion on this.

Don't you say to have the vendor who sells you the ring do the setting, because they could refuse the sale if it looks to them like the diamond won't properly fit into the piece? But, in this case, based on the info given, both pieces are purchased already. Would this turn the order of operations back to the one where the risk, if assumed by the diamond seller to do the setting, would leave the customer safer?

Maybe your comment that 'most won't do it' anyway is the main practical point. But, I don't know. I think WF does do it. They're pretty big here.
Good points. In the business world many places don't want to be financially responsible for setting risks. The PS sellers who offer loose diamonds (and have setting services) are a breath of fresh air, as I'm fairly certain we all cover diamonds we sell during the setting process if set on our own premises.

In cases where we're setting an outside stone we counsel with the client; it's prudent for them to have insurance since ours won't cover outside diamonds. This is fairly common, if not well-understood. In fact, some of the best setting designers insist on mounting diamonds into their settings but won't assume liability for breakage. It's true that the risk is low when dealing with reputable/skilled professionals - but so is the risk of fire in your house. If no one else is assuming liability your own insurance isn't a bad idea.

Date: 10/11/2007 8:07:12 AM
Author: denverappraiser

It will depend on the policies of the setter. Some will and some won’t. Ask.
Definitely. Leave no 'stone' unturned.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Hey, JQ, sorry to be dense, thanks for stopping in...but...I don''t think you confirmed, did you? Or...did you just say WF should be asked in each instance?

This is not option a) where both diamond & ring are bought from you, nor b) ring is bought from you but not diamond. You did address those.

The question is if the diamond is bought from you but ring is not...1) will you set it, and b) is the diamond still covered.

I think that''s right, if I''m following this.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2007 7:08:10 PM
Author: Regular Guy

The question is if the diamond is bought from you but ring is not...1) will you set it, and b) is the diamond still covered.
Yes, our policy is to cover any diamond purchased here when mounting it on our premises, whether the setting was purchased from us or sent in (provided the setting is of an acceptable standard). If it's sent in a setting charge will apply. Hope that answers fully.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ira,

I hadn’t really clicked that both purchases were already a done deal. I agree, craftsmanship of setting and willingness to accept the liability are the primary issues at this point. If the mounting is already purchased from some source where price was the primary incentive, I would probably not use them as a setter unless you have some good reason to believe that they are capable. Within reason, I would not suggest having the setting fee be a deciding factor.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results