shape
carat
color
clarity

getting ring re-sized: avoiding diamond switching?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

enibas

Rough_Rock
i mean, i'm not *truly* worried about this, esp since i'm going to the same place that he bought the ring, and their reputation would be on the line, yada yada yada, but i wanted to know what precautions i should be taking in case i were not to be so lucky.

i was planning on going to the place and (regardless of what my cert says) have them look WITH me through a scope of sorts and mark the imperfections (if any, lol!! ), give me a copy, and then hand it in. and then do the same when i pick it up and they better freakin' match...

is that right? or am i just getting all hyped over nothing? :errrr: will they just have something for me and them to sign saying, "we promise not to switch your diamond",a ndis that enough? :confused:

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the stone has an inslcusion that you can see under a loupe or microscope make certain you see it before you leave it and when you return to pick it back up. You ought to be able to recognize your diamond.

Maybe you could measure the diameter and match up the color? Is it fluorescent to UV? Those are some of the points you can use to be more sure of the stone's ID.

barry

Shiny_Rock
Have the in-store gemologist map the nature, configuration,
size, and location of the inclusion(s) and both of you
look at the stone under the microscope.
Re-check after the job has been done.

Even better if they have a Gemprint machine.

Barry
superbcert.com

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In 26 years selling jewleery in Australia I have never once had a customer ask to do this.
Either Aussies are naive, or really honest. There was a jeweller here who swapped someones diamond many years ago who was closed down over it.
Do you guys in the States really have a problem with stone switching? Or is it an irrational fear? Surely if it was ever found to happen the publicity would wipe the offender out in a few days? Has this been known to happen?

wingwalker

Rough_Rock
A few years back a major TV broadcasting channel did a special regarding this issue. They hired one gemologist to survey and map the diamonds. Then these rings, each going to a separate well-known reputable jewelry store, were sent in to be resized. Diamonds were switched, due to the high quality of them. So sorry to say, yes it happens here, and probably more than people know.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I'd be interested in hearing the documentation for that story as well.

From my experience, knowledge & database regarding this, diamond switching is in actuality very rare. At least on the part of the jeweler. The vast majority of diamond switching cases involve the public. The following scenarios are pretty common:

Husband (or boyfriend) going to dump wife (or girlfriend). Somehow gets mate to let him have the ring (for cleaning, appraising, etc). Has the stone switched.

Girlfriend dumps boyfriend, but switches diamond first because she knows he's going to insist on getting it back. Claims a jeweler must have done it after the deed is discovered.

Druggie son or daughter switches mother's diamond.

Nursing home aid switches diamond of unknowing elderly resident.

This one's very common as well- Boyfriend gives fiancee a CZ ring, telling her it is a diamond. Fiancee believes him, and cherishes the ring. A year or two later she leaves it for repair (or cleaning, etc,) at a non-professional jewelry store where they didn't check to see if it was a CZ before taking it in.

The ring makes it back to the jeweler, who tells the manager it's a CZ. Manager calls customer, who then accuses them of switching it, because she KNEW it was a diamond. After all, her loved one told her it was!

The list goes on and on...

In twenty three years of business, only one time in the cases I'm personally aware of was a diamond switched by a jeweler. Every other time it was done by a private individual. The one jeweler was arrested, with his picture on the front page of the newspaper. Now he's selling cars...

Rich, Independent GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

soda

Rough_Rock
Would it be harder to switch a laser inscribed diamond? I mean you can if you look really hard read the girdle for the branding and gia inscription (if your diamond has one) with a loupe.

Would a jeweler ever go to the trouble of cloning a branding in the attempt to switch a diamond?

wingwalker

Rough_Rock
I am looking for the story, It was run on either ABC NBC or CBS. I will work on retrieving a transcript. This may take a while, but it was very fascinating and worth knowing. I am interested in responses to Soda's question about engraving on the girdle.

enibas

Rough_Rock
thanks so much, everyone!! EXTREMELY helpful (and i will be looking out for the transcipt as well!)

happy as a clam,
enibas

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Well erasing that laser girdle inscription is easy;and putting
one on any diamond is also possible.
You should better map your stone (fairly easy with a 10x loupe),
obtain it's weight, diameter, and total depth (very easy to do at
any jewelry store), say to the jeweler that you "mapped" the stone
just to be sure nothing ever happens to it. Then when you'll
get it back, you'll be 100% sure it is your stone. Just have a look
at it under 10x to be sure.

And voila,

Also, remember that an extremely fine diamond will ALWAYS be at risk
to me swapped.

Best regards,
Trichrome.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sure all those thngs can be done.

But they are not easy, they involve concerted effort and conspiracy between staff and those with the laser equipment.

I doubt that many seriously bad people would be working a jewellery store just to switch peoples diamonds. It would be too much hard work for the type thaat is so evil.

DB

Rough_Rock
Hi there, I''ve read through some of the strings here and still have one question on the issue of switching... hoping maybe someone can shed some light.

I have the engagement ring that I plan to give to my girlfriend already chosen, she loves it. It is 16 K gold ring with an almost fully enclosed cone shaped bezel setting - expect for a small hole on the bottom for cleaning purposes. I plan to but a loose diamond, quite likely from diamonds on web - with GIA cert. I plan to take it to an appraiser first, and then send it to the jewerly design artisan (in a different state) to set the stone. I then would like to be able to return to the same appraiser and have them look at the stone again, to verify it is the same one.

Given that the setting is gold, bezel, and almost fully enclosed, will it be possible for the appraiser to verify that it is indeed the same stone? What type of tests, or "gemprint" or "plotting" or whatever, can the appraiser do the first time around, that will allow them to confirm that it the same stone when I return with it in its setting? One appraiser that i spoke to on the phone implied that it might be difficult given the setting. I sure hope there''s a way!!

Any ideas? I appreciate any guidance!!

Dan

DB

Rough_Rock

Hi there, I''ve read through some of the strings here and still have one question on the issue of switching... hoping maybe someone can shed some light.

I have the engagement ring that I plan to give to my girlfriend already chosen, she loves it. It is 16 K gold ring with an almost fully enclosed cone shaped bezel setting - except for a small hole on the bottom for cleaning purposes. I plan to buy a loose diamond, quite likely from diamonds on web - with GIA cert. I plan to take it to an appraiser first, and then send it to the jewerly design artisan (in a different state) to set the stone. I then would like to be able to return to the same appraiser and have them look at the stone again, to verify it is the same one.

Given that the setting is gold, bezel, and almost fully enclosed, will it be possible for the appraiser to verify that it is indeed the same stone? What type of tests, or "gemprint" or "plotting" or whatever, can the appraiser do the first time around, that will allow them to confirm that it the same stone when I return with it in its setting? One appraiser that i spoke to on the phone implied that it might be difficult given the setting. However, I wonder if they use something like a 20x or 40x magnification or more during the appraisals, will that allow them confirm with certainty? I sure hope there''s a way!!

Any ideas? I appreciate any guidance!!

Dan

PS - sorry for sending this twice - i''m somewhat technically challenged!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had to take my e-ring back to the jeweler because a melee fell out of the setting. I honestly never thought or worried about diamond switching. The B&M place has a good rep, mom and pop that is privately owned, and honestly I doubt they would risk their business to switch my stone. People must ask thought because when he gave it back to me he used the diamond tester in front of me to show my stone was a diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results