shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting rather impatient ..... setting dilema''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ring a ring

Rough_Rock
I''m rather picky but the settings are between;

1. a six prong brilliant with dainty .015 bead set rounds on the shoulders with matching wedding band

or;

2. a 4 prong princess cut solitaire with a wedding band with channel set princess cuts.

My fiance really likes the first but without being able to see them side by side in the same shop it''s difficult to decide - opinions wanted please (I''ve always wanted something elegant and timeless). We got the prices for the first and the e-ring without the centre stone is $1200 AUS more than the wedding band - can this be right???? I feel I''m being a bit ripped off here
40.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Both rings have the potential to be quite beautiful, but in my opinion the first one would be more classic and timeless. I think it really boils down to whether you prefer round or princess cut diamonds. Going to some different jewelers and checking some online vendors might give you an idea if the pricing is reasonable or not.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2006 2:50:38 AM
Author:Ring a ring
I''m rather picky but the settings are between;

1. a six prong brilliant with dainty .015 bead set rounds on the shoulders with matching wedding band

or;

2. a 4 prong princess cut solitaire with a wedding band with channel set princess cuts.

My fiance really likes the first but without being able to see them side by side in the same shop it''s difficult to decide - opinions wanted please (I''ve always wanted something elegant and timeless). We got the prices for the first and the e-ring without the centre stone is $1200 AUS more than the wedding band - can this be right???? I feel I''m being a bit ripped off here
40.gif
Just my 2 cents here...go for #1...rounds are classic, truly beautiful and if in a few years you want to change it up, rounds are pretty versatile. I have a princess cut but I recently upgraded to a cushion and am very happy. My first diamond e-ring was a round and I would still have it if it had not got lost.
emsad.gif

singer

Brilliant_Rock
First of all, what do YOU like more in a stone? A round diamond is very traditional and the most common shape that people buy. It is also very, very sparkly. I have a .90 carat RB and love it, but the shape is kind of boring for me, so I put it in a cushion-shaped halo setting to give it some squareness. Now I have the best of both worlds. From a distance it looks like a princess or cushion, but it sparkles like a round.

A princess is more stylish, in my opinion. Square-shaped stones always catch my eye more, just because of the straight edges. It is more modern looking I believe and they don''t sparkle quite as much, but they are still very beautiful! I say go for whatever shape catches your eye more. Either will be very beautiful, it''s just whatever you think is best for YOU!
emwink.gif

Just a thought, have you ever considered a radiant cut diamond? They kind of look like cracked glass and give off lots of tiny little sparkles. They are very pretty as well, IMO.
21.gif
Good luck and have fun choosing! Keep us posted on what you decide!

singer

Brilliant_Rock
One more thing to answer your question about the price of the first setting...

I am not familiar with AUS money, but $1200 more for the engagement setting (compared to the wedding band) does seem like a lot! Are the bands similar, with about the same carat weight of diamonds? If so, that seems ridiculous considering the only major difference would be the head on the engagement ring part, which would actually mean there would be less diamonds on it (if it is a perfectly matching set where the diamonds line up on the sides. Let me know some more information about the set and I will be able to tell you more. I''m not a pro or anything but I have changed my setting three times already and have looked at MANY settings. That price difference just seems like a lot to me.
40.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
It really boils down to whether you like RBs or princess cuts. I like RBs, so you know what my answer is
2.gif
...although I LOVE LOVE LOVE a Tiffany replica knife edge solitaire ring with a RB too
30.gif
(Demelza''s ring is an excellent example of what I''m drooling over).

Ring a ring

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. I absolutely loved the princess set when I tried it on but the stone was alot bigger than we could afford and when I went smaller it didn''t have the same appeal and I''m not sure how much smaller the bands can go to make the stone look bigger - probably not much. The brilliant ser on the other hand is similar to this (don''t know if this has worked. So yes, singer the e-ring will have less diamonds and will be US $900 more than the w-ring and the only differences will be the basket and that the centre stone has to be set
20.gif

HPIM0640.gif

singer

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a doozy
emotion-41.gif
Seems like a rip-off to me. Personally, I wouldn''t buy that setting. There is no reason whatsoever that the mounting should be $900 more than the wedding band. It''s like they know that if a person absolutely loves the set, they will HAVE to fork out the dollars for both, which I just wouldn''t be willing to spend. It doesn''t make sense at all!
face5.gif
Don''t get too stressed or rushed with your decision. You will regret it down the road when you find one you REALLY love at a price that is much more reasonable

Mrsgardener

Rough_Rock
35.gif
--- Listen to a married woman in her 50s. Get what you want! You are the person wearing the ring.-- You would have earned it through housework, public work , childbirth, childraising etc.---My 2 cents!
35.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2006 7:28:51 PM
Author: Mrsgardener
35.gif
--- Listen to a married woman in her 50s. Get what you want! You are the person wearing the ring.-- You would have earned it through housework, public work , childbirth, childraising etc.---My 2 cents!
35.gif
I am seconding this motion!!! As an experienced mom of 9 kids and married 25 years this Feb., get what YOU want...and get it NOW...its your ring...If you compromise on this now, you''ll be kicking yourself in a few years for not doing what your heart intended...my 02 cents...
emthup.gif

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Ring a ring''s first setting is very common and I just think she could find it somewhere for a better price. Doesn''t anyone agree with me that the price difference of the engagement ring mounting and the wedding band is a lot????
emdgust.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2006 3:30:48 PM
Author: singer
Ring a ring''s first setting is very common and I just think she could find it somewhere for a better price. Doesn''t anyone agree with me that the price difference of the engagement ring mounting and the wedding band is a lot????
emdgust.gif

I need more info but it very well could be. When I had a custom job quoted the 3-ring was about $500 more for the e-ring with less diamonds, but it had to do with the labor involed in the project...so without a little more info, I just don''t know...If she feels it''s too much, definitely keep looking. The setting posted is becoming very popular right now and it would be worth it to keep looking for a better price IMO.

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Just a thought...
www.gottlieb-sons.com has many gorgeous wedding sets...and the prices are very reasonable. I just got one and I love it
30.gif
There are multiple rings on their site that look like the one you posted. Hope this helps. I think it would be much more reasonable and the jewelry is very high quality.
2.gif

Ring a ring

Rough_Rock
The setting costs ~US $1400 in WG - probably doesn''t sound like much but that''s AUS $1800 and I''d prefer
2.gif
if the set (not including the centre stone) cost only a little bit more than that amount. So I am shopping around but many of the jewellers I''ve visited here in Oz appear to be more upmarket. Am I dreamin''? I wouldn''t mind a $500 difference in price b/w the w-ring and the e-ring but a $1200 difference or more - maybe the w-ring has been marked down
40.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results