shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting My Diamond Certified, need info.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daisyma02

Rough_Rock
I need some info. I am Thrilled to say that I got a new Diamond for Valentines Day (it''s 1.72) . But the Diamond is not Certified and I want to get it Certified and do not know how to go about getting it done or were I would need to send it? I am going to be re setting it soon so it will be loose and I thought that would be a perfect time to get it certified. Do I need to take it to a Jewelers or can I send it on my own. Any help or links to how to go about this is Greatly apreciated. Thanks Daisy

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
It would be a good idea to try getting a GIA cert for your new stone.

I would imagine there would be a lab you could have it sent to near your location, or you can take it yourself.

Maybe if you contact, www.gia.org they might be able to provide you with a location or someone on this forum will lead you to the right direction.

You may even consider using the services of some of the experts on this forum to grade your stone...

Congrats! on your new sparkler!

kirk

justme

Shiny_Rock
I was looking at getting my 'former' stone certed as it is not. I called GIA california and was told I could send it in directly to them without a vendor middleman.

I don't recall the price now - this was before xmas. Give them a call the phone numbers are listed on the GIA website. They were very nice and helpful over the phone.

Justme

Daisyma02

Rough_Rock
Great I will give them a call and look into it. I sure wish I didn't have to mail it off. Seem like that will be hard. It's alot of $ i'm putting trust into. Ive heard GIA certs cost $300. Thanks

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Daisyma,

Justme is correct. You can send it U.S.Registered Mail to GIA-GTL for certification. Call them first and find out all the details and cost. Also, you will have to send the diamond only, no ring. They don't grade mounted diamonds and they will not take it out of your mounting for you.
When I was a grader at the Santa Monica lab, years ago, we had a lady come to the window to get her diamond graded and she handed us her ring. The person taking in the diamond handed it back through the window and said "We only take unmounted diamonds". The lady argued and finally pulled out a nail clipper and snipped off the ends of the prongs. We could not believe it but she got her diamond graded.
As you can see, I like to tell stories. When I was a colored stone/gem ident instructor at GIA Santa Monica, I would begin the morning teaching with "Once upon a time...

justme

Shiny_Rock
Daisy -

You may want to find a local goldsmith that would be willing to remove your stone and then ship your diamond to GIA for you.

I suggest this because although you can send the stone registered mail - it's a slow process. I had my goldsmith remove my old stone - and then ship it out for appraisal for me, he has insurance and could fedex it overnight. This was more reassuring to me than to have it going by US Postal - although I'm sure it would have gotten there I didn't like the days involved.

Of course I had to pay $45 dollars to have him do this but it was well worth it to me. Also you'll get it there and back faster.

Justme

Daisyma02

Rough_Rock
Great! I will look into this and make a call to my Jewelers and then get my Finger nail Clippers out and clip out my Diamond. (Just Kidding!) I really don't want to give up my diamond for too long as I would miss having it. Believe this.. my first and original Diamond was a .12 carat that I got when I was 18 years old now 20 years later WOW! I get one that is over 1.50carats bigger talk about being surprised. That is why I do not want it off my hand long. I am also calling GIA and will update what I find out. Thanks

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
GIA usually runs 2-3 weeks turn around time. Registered Mail is the safest. The Hope Diamond was sent Registered Mail once, after a big police procession was set up as a decoy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results