shape
carat
color
clarity

getting lost in stupid stuff

4ever

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1326066348|3098161 said:
are there really no shoes locally? :( you guys need a zappos!

We need ANYTHING. Seriously. Shoe shopping is mega pathetic over here. :nono:

At least those clutches of yours are gorgeous! I can just tell it's one of those colours that would go with everything, great gifts!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I can see the 2 month mark fast approaching so I am obsessing over wedding music so I feel productive.

What have you ladies chosen for you "significant" songs? eg; Bridal procession, First dance etc.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
4ever|1327467788|3111155 said:
I can see the 2 month mark fast approaching so I am obsessing over wedding music so I feel productive.

What have you ladies chosen for you "significant" songs? eg; Bridal procession, First dance etc.

I thought I would revive this thread! how is everyone's planning going?

4ever...I have not chosen any songs yet...that is what we need to do soon! I did get my jewelry though...pics here

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pearl-drop-jackets.152355/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pearl-drop-jackets.152355/[/URL]

4ever

Ideal_Rock
:appl: Woo, great jewellery slg, and very easy pieces to wear post wedding also.

I am in the middle of having our wedding bands made at work, just got my ring from the jeweller today (unset) and ordered the diamonds... and I think I have kinda blown the budget quite epically. Haven't told FI yet. Poop.

I MAY have a processional song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLZKFDxQpO0 (opinions welcome) but am still pondering a fun/upbeat recessional song....and a first dance song.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
I just thought I'd pop into this thread and say hello to all the brides to be!
slg47 your drop earrings are beautiful! :appl:
4ever nice song! very romantic! :love:

I am trying to figure out what to do about ceremony music. I'm having an outdoor wedding with not a very good plan B for if it rains. I wanted to have a harpist, but if it rains that's not going to be a viable option. ;( Soooo I may decide on a keyboardist instead. I'm also considering just playing an iPod, but I don't want to pay someone to press buttons. Oh myyyy! What to do?

I'm less than 5 months away and I feel like I haven't barely done anything for the wedding!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
4ever|1327467788|3111155 said:

I had such a hard time with music! I picked Train Marry Me for the procession- DH picked "I would walk 500 miles- proclaimers" for the recessional HHAHA< first dance was Ben Harper "Forever". My SIL had the beatles "Here comes the sun" for her processional

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm very traditional... And the church I am getting married in will not allow secular music. Sooo..

The mom's will walk in to "Ode to Joy"
Bridesmaids will walk in to "Air from Water Music" by Handel
I will walk in to "Canon in D"
And the recessional is "Allegro from Water Music" by Handel.

People have started receiving our invitations. I'm half excited and STRESSED to the max! I talk to my mom 15 times a day. We have had major drama with the band for the last 2 weeks. We're looking at other options for the second time since we got engaged. Our invitations had a huge SNAFU, so they went out a little later than we had planned, but oh well.

In the end, I'm getting married to my best bud in 50 days, and that's all that matters!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
gem, check and see if there are classical guitarists in your area! They don't need much space, can play indoors and outdoors, and are quite lovely! It's what I had wanted for our wedding...until we booked a 1200-seat chapel with an organ. So we just went with classic organ music:

Bridesmaids: Trumpet Voluntary
Moi: Canon in D
Signing of our Marriage Contract: Air from Water Music
Recessional: Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring

I had wanted to recess to "Here Comes the Sun" but I'm pretty sure the organist was a grandmother already by the time the Beatles were popular, LOL...so I just went with something classic!

Our first dance was to "Marry Me" by Train...until that song came out I had wanted "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton, which then became our last dance.

FutureGirl, OU, it's coming up so quickly!!! Hooray!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I love "marry me" - so pretty - so it's on our background music track for the reception. Fi is not so keen so I don't think I could convince him to have it for a first dance or anything.

We still don't have a first dance or recessional song- Fi and I have quite different take in music so it's a bit of a struggle. My mum thinks Bruno Mars Marry You for the recessional and Fi wants "I luv U" the ordinary boys for the first dance.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
I have been thinking a lot about music, too. I love the suggestion of "Here Comes the Sun" and "Marry Me." We may or may not be getting married in a church (yes, we still don't know, but we have a room reserved at the reception hall just in case), so we really don't know whether we will be going traditional or not with our music choices. The only thing I know for sure is that I don't want to process in to "Canon in D." It's a lovely song, but it was the song my mom used to play every night to help her sleep for all of my childhood and adolescence. I got so sick of it I wanted to scream every time I heard it. Also, I'm afraid my mom might fall asleep as I walk down the aisle! So I know I want something else, but I'm not sure what. I might even go with the traditional Wedding March. I have an operatic recording (with the original German vocals) and it's actually kind of pretty. Super traditional and totally overdone, but I kind of like it anyway. On the other end of the spectrum, we are definitely walking out to ACDC's "For Those About to Rock" at the reception. That was probably the first thing we decided. At least we agree on that!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
For Classical, for the recessional I love Ode to Joy. It can work as a processional, but only if you have a live musician playing it well... with less gusto than the score calls for.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so according to my Mum "I believe in a thing called love" for a recessional is "indecent" :lol:

She is pushing for "Marry you" by Bruno Mars.

We might settle for "I'm a believer" by the Monkees or "Let my love open the door" by Pete Townshend.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
4ever did you get your dress yet?

My bridal shower is this weekend!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
4ever said:
Ok, so according to my Mum "I believe in a thing called love" for a recessional is "indecent" :lol:

She is pushing for "Marry you" by Bruno Mars.

We might settle for "I'm a believer" by the Monkees or "Let my love open the door" by Pete Townshend.
I like your indecent song choice ;-)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47 said:

enjoy your shower!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh have a great shower! That's so exciting! I gather your shower was not a surprise? I'm pretty sure (okay, I know for a fact) that my bridesmaids are planning a surprise shower for me, and while that's really wonderful of them, I'm having a hard time letting go of my control freak tendencies. Were you involved in planning the shower, slg?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
blacksand|1331563545|3146825 said:
Ooooh have a great shower! That's so exciting! I gather your shower was not a surprise? I'm pretty sure (okay, I know for a fact) that my bridesmaids are planning a surprise shower for me, and while that's really wonderful of them, I'm having a hard time letting go of my control freak tendencies. Were you involved in planning the shower, slg?

no, not a surprise---it would be hard to have a cross-country surprise! 7 of FI's mom's friends are planning the shower. I have no idea what to expect...but I know I won't know too many people there. My mom is flying out and I know FSIL will be there too.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1331527863|3146668 said:

Exciting!

My Hens night if next Friday - it is a surprise so I'm not too sure what we're doing.

Dress is in progress, next fitting is mid next week and then the last one should be the week after. I'm hoping to snap a pic next time but we'll see.

I do however have my accessories!

accesories.jpg

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock

Can I just say...wow! Those are just incredible! I can't wait to see how it all comes together.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
blacksand said:

Can I just say...wow! Those are just incredible! I can't wait to see how it all comes together.

:bigsmile: Thanks!

I am still thinking about weather or not to do a veil. I love this one, but wonder if it would be a bit much with the big necklace?

amazing veil.jpg

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think the veil would be too much. It's pretty! And you'd only wear it during the ceremony, right?

Ladies, I need help getting motivated. I don't know what's up with me lately, but I'm just not excited about wedding planning. FI and I have so many stressors in our life right now that every time I think about the wedding my brain just shuts down. I had this lovely vision of happy planning with my loving friends and relatives who were all just so happy for me...and that's so just not happening. I actually feel like planning is a very lonely process, not really much fun, and it's totally stressing me out so I tend to just push it out of my brain and focus on other things. Don't get me wrong...I'm super excited to marry my FI, I dream of dancing with him at the wedding and of our married life together, I definitely want to do this, I just don't want to pick out favors or interview photographers or even go dress shopping. Like at all. I read the threads here, and I feel excited for all of you and the progress you are making. It's fun to watch you plan your weddings. But I'm just not motivated to plan my own. Anybody want to plan mine for me? :)

I have to go dress shopping really soon, and I still haven't made any appointments. I really hate shopping and trying on clothes. I hate calling strangers on the phone to make appointments (I do it at work every day, I just...hate it). Tell me it's going to be fun? Lie if you have to.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
blacksand|1331649733|3147586 said:
I don't think the veil would be too much. It's pretty! And you'd only wear it during the ceremony, right?

Ladies, I need help getting motivated. I don't know what's up with me lately, but I'm just not excited about wedding planning. FI and I have so many stressors in our life right now that every time I think about the wedding my brain just shuts down. I had this lovely vision of happy planning with my loving friends and relatives who were all just so happy for me...and that's so just not happening. I actually feel like planning is a very lonely process, not really much fun, and it's totally stressing me out so I tend to just push it out of my brain and focus on other things. Don't get me wrong...I'm super excited to marry my FI, I dream of dancing with him at the wedding and of our married life together, I definitely want to do this, I just don't want to pick out favors or interview photographers or even go dress shopping. Like at all. I read the threads here, and I feel excited for all of you and the progress you are making. It's fun to watch you plan your weddings. But I'm just not motivated to plan my own. Anybody want to plan mine for me? :)

I have to go dress shopping really soon, and I still haven't made any appointments. I really hate shopping and trying on clothes. I hate calling strangers on the phone to make appointments (I do it at work every day, I just...hate it). Tell me it's going to be fun? Lie if you have to.

blacksand-what sorts of dress stores are you going to? I had fun but that's probably because I found something :razz: Maybe read reviews and see if there are less 'fussy' stores that you could go to? I also hate calling to make appts but you gotta do it unless your dress store does appts by e-mail (you could always check!) are you going by yourself or with friends/relatives? I liked going by myself because I didn't feel pressured to pick what other people liked.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
SLg- I think the veil would look lovely during the ceremony!

4ever

Ideal_Rock

Pre engagement I think we all are given the impression that wedding planning is all sunshine and rainbows and immense amounts of happy fun time for all with cake tastings, jewellery buying, pretty frocks and bonding. And for some people perhaps it is, but I am not one of those people, and neither are you. Planning for me was a real PITA for the most part but unless you want to hire a wedding planner, you just have to suck it up and haul ass because it has to be done.

I worked to a checklist and self imposed deadline to get myself to do stuff. I hired a venue right away then went through my list of other vendors and gave myself a timeline to complete that list. I did pretty much everything via internet and email because I hate the phone. Hate. You will find this is really not as bad as it seams, this was by far the easiest and most satisfying part of wedding planning for me.

Then I moved onto the next list of smaller things to do and gave myself a deadline. I found crossing things off the list was a good mental boost and made me feel really productive, even if it was just something little like "Find cake photos I like".

A couple of times I just didn't do anything for a months because I didn't want to - I felt pretty on track and just wanted a break.

I never went and tried on dresses because I hate clothes shopping, I hate that salons charge so much to try things on over here, I hate how everything in my price range (which isn't small) is probably made in china with cheap fabrics and is only expensive because people know they can get away with charging ridiculous amounts of money because its a wedding dress. So eventually I just found a dress maker and booked her in - far less painful.

I don't consider wedding planning a great bonding experience between me and FI or anyone else. Although he is involved in all the big decisions I spend a huge amount of time alone working through small details making budgets and times lines, communicating with vendors and researching ideas...really it is quite an anti social activity and FI does get disgruntled and resentful that I'm not spending the time with him. My MOH is not involved except when I finally dragged her out to buy her a dress. I let my mum know whats going on but she's not involved except in suggesting good readings for the ceremony.

Anyway, my suggestion is to make a list of things you need to do and make a date which you want that list finished by.Then assign time which you can starting accomplishing those tasks. and then just do it. Once all the big stuff is done you will feel a lot more in control and can spend the time doing more fun stuff.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock

I know how you feel. I go in spurts of planning. I'll plan for a week or two and then take a week off. It seems like it's sort of an alone process. I don't feel like annoying my friends with wedding talk all the time and I'm sure they are sick of hearing it too, so I've been making a lot of decisions on my own. Although my FI is somewhat helpful, I do feel like I am the only one on top of stuff and it's exhausting. The one task I gave him was getting the STD's made...well he took forever on it.... They went out a month later than I wanted :rolleyes:

I gotta advise.... even though it sucks doing stuff sometimes it's better to stay on top of it. I have had issues with everything so far it seems like. That is probably not what you wanted to hear. :loopy: Good luck with planning! Like 4ever I also did the big stuff first (guest list, venues, dress, vendors, bridesmaids dresses, tuxes - in that order). Somewhere in there I got my wedding ring of DB. I'm glad I snagged it when I did because I haven't seen another one I liked since. Hopefully we'll be ordering the flower girl dresses in the next couple of weeks. And my FI really needs to look at rings, but again, he's taking forever... ;-)

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ladies. I think "suck it up and get to work" is probably the best advice I've received! I'd read these boards, so I wasn't so delusional as to think that everything would be sunshine and roses, but I did think that at least I would enjoy the process. And I'm really not, at the moment. I haven't even been dress shopping yet. I just don't want to. We do have our venue booked and got the Save the Dates out. That's basically it so far. I just feel like there's so much related stress I don't want to deal with it. I hate talking on the phone and hate trying clothes on. I originally wanted to go dress shopping with my mom, FI's mom, and FI's sister. Well FI's sister is going through post-partum depression right now which is manifesting as paranoia and pure venom toward all those who are trying to help her. Not getting into that, but... suffice it to say I am not inviting her dress shopping. FI still wants me to invite his mom, but I know if I do, FSIL is going to freak out and feel like I am trying to replace her as favorite daughter, or something (that's just the mindset she's in right now, it makes no sense but it is what it is). So I guess it's just me and my mom. The whole thing depresses me so I just don't want to do it at all. The same goes for invitations, seating arrangements, even asking one of my cousins to be in the wedding party. There's so much family drama surrounding these events that I just don't want to do them. I just want all of this to be fun. I know I just have to suck it up and change my own mindset, because I can't change anyone else's.

I appreciate all your advice. I'll get working on a checklist and just start getting stuff done, fun or not. Hopefully it will all be worthwhile in the end.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you have a game plan.

Also, if you want to post as you go I know I used this thread as a little pat on the back for myself for getting something done, like if I decided on a cake I'd come and tell you guys all about it which made me feel like I'd accomplished something and kept me going. Also I like living vicariously though other peoples weddings :bigsmile:

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I love reading about other people's weddings! That's what I come here for! Thank goodness for you ladies.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I am a DIY bandeau veil making ninja!

No pictures because it's nothing fancy, nice and simple but looks great on and is not too OTT with my necklace. Best of all, hair combs (pack of 6), russian netting (enough for 2 veils), thread and needles = $20. I also got a 3m x.5m piece of tule to play with like the veil pictured above but it's a little bit much with the necklace. However it will be perfect for a hens night veil :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results