shape
carat
color
clarity

getting lost in stupid stuff

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
4ever, I just want to say again how BEAUTIFUL your venue is! You will have an amazing wedding, FOR SURE. And I am SO glad you ended up going for the rustic-chic theme. The mason jars and twine accents with lavender are just going to be STUNNING there! :love:

4ever

Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1304449382|2911375 said:
4ever, I just want to say again how BEAUTIFUL your venue is! You will have an amazing wedding, FOR SURE. And I am SO glad you ended up going for the rustic-chic theme. The mason jars and twine accents with lavender are just going to be STUNNING there! :love:

I really hope so! I am having serious self-doubt about my ability to make everything look amazing and co-ordinated. For example, I don't want flowers on the tables because I just want a row of mason jars and candles (and flowers=expensive) and I feel like adding another element will kill the beautiful simplicity of the jars and candles. In my mind this looks beautiful and dramatic enough but I'm worried about a lack of colour. And then I see stuff like this wedding and the table flowers look really good.....drat.

I have to point out tho that the style me pretty reception is in the main restaurant where as mine will be in the potager bistro, an old celler room, so lower celling, a bit more intimate feeling (fairy lights on the roof!) and not as open feeling as the main restaurant is. I am going to cram that little room full of candles! I love the main restaurant but it does have a very different feel and a much larger price tag than the smaller room.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
4ever|1304491777|2911864 said:

I really hope so! I am having serious self-doubt about my ability to make everything look amazing and co-ordinated. For example, I don't want flowers on the tables because I just want a row of mason jars and candles (and flowers=expensive) and I feel like adding another element will kill the beautiful simplicity of the jars and candles. In my mind this looks beautiful and dramatic enough but I'm worried about a lack of colour. And then I see stuff like this wedding and the table flowers look really good.....drat.

I have to point out tho that the style me pretty reception is in the main restaurant where as mine will be in the potager bistro, an old celler room, so lower celling, a bit more intimate feeling (fairy lights on the roof!) and not as open feeling as the main restaurant is. I am going to cram that little room full of candles! I love the main restaurant but it does have a very different feel and a much larger price tag than the smaller room.

DON'T BE! I LOOOOOVE the monochromatic look. And if you're REALLY concerned, 1) check with your venue about coloured napkins, 2) order table runners off etsy or make your own in a pale lavender color, 3) add colour accents with table numbers, menu cards, etc. (PS: Don't forget there's a lot of colour in your favors!!!)

I think your aesthetic is SPOT ON and you will NOT regret going with your current vision.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
We started putting a guest list together to get an approximate headcount. I spent hours working on this. Asked FI for his side repeatedly, finally decided to just write up his side myself and then run it by him to see if he wanted to add anyone. We came to an agreement, eventually. Then his mom decided to add a few more people, including FI's sister's in-laws, who I'm not crazy about and don't see any real reason to invite (they are neither my family nor his, and we only met them once), and also decided everyone over 18 or so on the groom's side should get to bring a guest. Sigh. Okay, this upsets me a little because I can't extend the same courtesy to my side of the list. But at the end of the day, his side is much smaller than mine, even with the extra people, so I can't complain too much. So fine. Again, we were all in agreement. Then my mom gets back to me. I'm expecting her to want to add a bunch of people, too. Instead, she want to cut all but two of her friends that I had put on the list. I thought I was being a thoughtful daughter, remembering her friends. Mom's like "nope, I don't want to see those people." The two that she left on the list will almost certainly not come, as they are a couple, and the wife suffers from agoraphobia. So...okay. None of mom's friends. Then she cut an entire family from church. Then she said flat-out that we should not invite any kids to the reception. Ummmmmm....what? My mom is a nursery school teacher and the biggest lover of children you'll ever meet. And all of a sudden she's anti-kid. I love kids and I want them there. More importantly, we want to leave it up to the parents. We've explained to all of our friends with kids that the wee ones are most welcome, and we'll provide some games and toys, but if they prefer to come without the kids, that's perfectly fine, too. A few of our friends have already said they plan to get a babysitter so they can come out and have a few drinks. That's fine! Others, like my bridesmaid from Virginia, will definitely bring the whole family. That's great, too! Her kids are adorable!

I can't believe I'm fighting with my mom because she wants to cut my guest list.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
blacksand - I think it's difficult in general when you have an idea in your head and someone else comes around and tries to change it.

So after my super productive planning week last week (booked the venue, ordered my ring, and ordered my dress), I can't bring myself to do anything this week! There's not too much major stuff left, but I definitely need to find an officiant so that we can get a time finalized. My motivation is definitely slipping.

We've decided to do engagement pictures in June, though! We had kind of decided to skip on that, but I'm really happy with the decision to do them.

VC - what incredible surprises! You are so lucky!!!

4ever - your venue looks amazing. Wowee! So rustic and romantic. I'm sure you cannot fail when it comes to simple decor.

Update from me - grandpa is losing weight. Only 2 weeks left of treatment. Hopefully the cancer's all gone when he's done. I am meeting with the owner of the restaurant where we will have our rehearsal dinner tonight to set that up. And, bridesmaid dresses are in! Going with my best friend for her fitting on Friday, and maybe I might try my dress on, too, just to see if it fits any better since I have been working out like a madwoman. Only missed one day out of the last 10. Haven't really lost any weight, but I'm hoping I have lost an inch or two.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1304508966|2911907 said:
4ever|1304491777|2911864 said:

DON'T BE! I LOOOOOVE the monochromatic look. And if you're REALLY concerned, 1) check with your venue about coloured napkins, 2) order table runners off etsy or make your own in a pale lavender color, 3) add colour accents with table numbers, menu cards, etc. (PS: Don't forget there's a lot of colour in your favors!!!)

I think your aesthetic is SPOT ON and you will NOT regret going with your current vision.

I'm thinking of scrapping the favors. They aren't so common in NZ and I don't want them to clutter up the table (there will already be less room with all the jars down the middle) and I just can't really "see" them on the tables at the moment. If we do make them maybe I will stack them up in a pyramid on a table somewhere or near the bar with no name tags but a nice thank you note attached and let people take one on the way out if they wish. Maybe the colour will come from our self printed menues (the venue will print them out on white paper, roll them up, tie with ribbon and a sprig of lavender at no charge tho, so it does seem wasteful to print our own and I guess it is just another "thing" cluttering up the table) and/or place settings.

Ick, I always feel like I turn this thread into a whiney ME-fest. It's just nice to have other brides to bounce ideas off of.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
merilenda|1304522641|2912009 said:
blacksand - I think it's difficult in general when you have an idea in your head and someone else comes around and tries to change it.

So after my super productive planning week last week (booked the venue, ordered my ring, and ordered my dress), I can't bring myself to do anything this week! There's not too much major stuff left, but I definitely need to find an officiant so that we can get a time finalized. My motivation is definitely slipping.

We've decided to do engagement pictures in June, though! We had kind of decided to skip on that, but I'm really happy with the decision to do them.

Yay for productive wedding planning!

I think it's really easy to feel like this after being extra productive. If you goal orientated like me a checklist or deadlines in a diary might help keep the motivation going, and just think how good it would feel to have all the big stuff sorted.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
4ever|1304589959|2912845 said:

I think it's really easy to feel like this after being extra productive. If you goal orientated like me a checklist or deadlines in a diary might help keep the motivation going, and just think how good it would feel to have all the big stuff sorted.

That's really funny that you said that, since that's how I got any of this done in the first place. A couple weeks ago, it hit me that it was the end of April, we wanted to get married in September, and we had done absolutely nothing. I was kind of just banking on the fact that we wanted to do something small and it wouldn't be hard to plan.

So I made this long checklist of things to do, and we actually made our way through the list in a few days (I think we were both bothered by having items not checked off!). I just need to make another list, I guess.

Speaking of...when did it get to be May? Wow. It seems like time is flying and I'm definitely stressing. Not just about wedding stuff, but life in general. We're moving halfway across the country this summer, so I need to work on finding a new job (from a different state).

4ever

Ideal_Rock
merilenda|1304604502|2912930 said:
4ever|1304589959|2912845 said:

That's really funny that you said that, since that's how I got any of this done in the first place. A couple weeks ago, it hit me that it was the end of April, we wanted to get married in September, and we had done absolutely nothing. I was kind of just banking on the fact that we wanted to do something small and it wouldn't be hard to plan.

So I made this long checklist of things to do, and we actually made our way through the list in a few days (I think we were both bothered by having items not checked off!). I just need to make another list, I guess.

Speaking of...when did it get to be May? Wow. It seems like time is flying and I'm definitely stressing. Not just about wedding stuff, but life in general. We're moving halfway across the country this summer, so I need to work on finding a new job (from a different state).

Ack I know, this year is going so fast!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I have said it before and I will say it again, I AM A WEDDING PLANNING NINJA!

So far I have booked :

Venue (reception and ceremony, includes catering)
Cake (vegan 2 layer carrot and pineapple and chocolate with buttercream icing)
Celebrant (friend of FI)
DJ (friend of FI)
Florist
Transport (guests and bridal party)
Photographer

and we have just under 11 months to go.

I do need to haul ass and book accommodation asap so I will try to make progress on that this afternoon.

Yay for a productive wedding planning day today!

Also FI and I took my parents to see the venue yesterday and after we looked around we got a table outside, ordered a cheese board, breads and dips and some Mudbrick wines and chilled out in the sun for a couple of hours. Bliss.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
4ever, you are a ninja! That's some serious planning right there.

Blacksand, guest lists are such a frustrating experience!!! Getting a list out of my FI was also like pulling teeth (and I ended up putting together a first draft of his list, too). If you don't mind me asking, who is paying for the wedding? You two alone, just your side, just the groom's side, everyone pitching in? Depending on the answers, everyone's actions might be either more understandable or more inappropriate.

As for me, I'm trying to knock things off my to-do list. I FINALLY found favor packaging I'm happy with. We're doing two one-ounce jars -- one of Vulcan's Fire Salt, the other Vanilla Sugar -- with cute purple labels. Then we're going to package them in a purple gable box (with French Vanilla shred), stamped with our logo (assuming I can find the right ink), and topped with raffia ribbon and a tag.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the tag should say though...

A little sugar and spice for a happy marriage! / Bride & Groom / May 29, 2011
Sugar + Spice + Everything Nice / Bride + Groom / May 29, 2011
Something Else Entirely​

Help! Maybe this should be its own thread...

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
ARGH!!! Internet Explorer just ate my HUGE post. ROAR.

The gist:

FutureGirl and merilenda...good going on getting a ton of stuff accomplished!!!

merilenda, when is your session with Sarah!?!? I can't WAIT to see it pop up on the blog! She's SUPER quick with turnaround, too!

SB, what about "Something Sweet, and a Little Heat, Love SB & DH"

blacksand...sorry about all the guest list stuff. Fortunately, FI's guest list consisted of family, and my mom's list is short due to the fact that only a select handful of people are in on an important secret. I'm sure things will get sorted out soon enough!

As for me...less than 50 days, and still a WHOLE BUNCH of stuff to do. But I'm muddling through. We'll get there for sure! And just as a reminder, I just bought this tote on etsy to cart around all my wedding day stuff.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
My mom is driving me bonkers! She did this with my sister, and is doing it to me too. She has a problem commiting to a venue until she feels ready. We are penciled in at my church and dream reception site on April 14. She met with them before we were engaged, took me, FI, and FMIL to go see it, and has been back again with my dad to talk contract details. She still won't book.

Any other place I would like for my reception is already booked, so she wants me to keep several dates in mind. Argh. I just want a wedding date. Is that too much to ask?

Rant over!

4ever, you have a lot already squared away! I pretty much only have my dress and a kind-of-wedding-date and venue.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Blacksand, guest lists are such a frustrating experience!!! Getting a list out of my FI was also like pulling teeth (and I ended up putting together a first draft of his list, too). If you don't mind me asking, who is paying for the wedding? You two alone, just your side, just the groom's side, everyone pitching in? Depending on the answers, everyone's actions might be either more understandable or more inappropriate.

Good question. It's a little awkward. Basically, my parents are paying for a little less than half. They gave us a check a few weeks ago, for a lot more than I expected. My parents are not well off. They are both 60 and only just managed to buy their first house two years ago after MANY years of hard work, so they are paying the mortgage, taxes, and I think they're still paying off loans they took out when my brother and I were in college. I did not expect more than, say, a token $1000 check from them, to help cover a few expenses. We expected we'd be on our own. They gave us a much more generous contribution than we expected. We'll be able to double it (plus a bit more) with our own savings by next year, and then use the total to pay for the wedding.

I think you're right that this is part of the problem. I suspect my mom feels badly that she can't pay for the entire wedding. She may be trying to cut costs so that FI and I don't end up having to pay for things ourselves. I tried to explain to her that we plan on using our own savings, plus their very generous contribution, to cover costs. Weddings are expensive in our area, and we have a pretty good idea of what we'll need to spend to have the wedding we want. It's within our means. But I think she is trying to plan a wedding with about half the budget FI and I are planning on, hence the disconnect. I'm all for saving money where we can, but not when it comes to cutting good friends and family members from the guest list!

FI's family has not contributed anything thus far. I don't expect them to, per se, and we are not counting on receiving anything from them. This is FI's second marriage, so it isn't really expected that they'll do anything. But FI thinks they will at least pay for the rehearsal dinner as per the tradition, and I suspect they will be giving us some unusually generous gifts come Christmas this year. They are very generous people, and they are quite well off, so it would not surprise me. But I won't be upset if it doesn't happen. We're all set with our plan either way.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Aww, how sweet of your parents!

I think the guest list is going to absolutely be the worst part in all of this. Ugh. I'm putting it off.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um|1305044339|2917419 said:
merilenda, when is your session with Sarah!?!? I can't WAIT to see it pop up on the blog! She's SUPER quick with turnaround, too!

It's not until June 9th. I'm excited though! FI and I have like almost no pictures of us together. Sarah just sent us the contract today. I've only been talking to her through email, but she seems super sweet!

I'm not sure where we're going to go, but we live right by her studio, so I'm sure she knows a lot of places around here. I'm hoping to get a mix of shots in a more naturey, outsdoorsy setting and then a more urban setting if possible!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I booked our photographer earlier this week and we will hopefully decide on a steel drum band this weekend.

As far as my previous list of "things completely stressing me out," well, checking those off one by one-
-I start my new job next week (yay!). I finally told my boss and it's a huge stress relief. Plus, knowing I won't be here a week from now? Heavenly.
-The dog had her puppies (which is actually REALLY stressful, because English Bulldogs are notoriously bad moms). She had 6 and one didn't make it (she sat on him and he suffocated). But the most stressful part is almost over and I even managed to get more than an hour of sleep at a time last night.
-My brother is doing much better. His wife is playing mind games with him, but he's realizing he's better off without her.
-We have 18 people booked for our cruise, and another 10 or so on top of that who will go to the wedding.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
merilenda|1305061938|2917735 said:

It's not until June 9th. I'm excited though! FI and I have like almost no pictures of us together. Sarah just sent us the contract today. I've only been talking to her through email, but she seems super sweet!

I'm not sure where we're going to go, but we live right by her studio, so I'm sure she knows a lot of places around here. I'm hoping to get a mix of shots in a more naturey, outsdoorsy setting and then a more urban setting if possible!

There's an awesome park by where she lives where she loves to shoot...if she recommends it...TAKE IT! We also shot in Crossroads, but if you want super gritty shots, I'd head to the West Bottoms. AWESOME location...we just didn't have the time to head over there. I'm also partial to the Plaza.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um|1305067318|2917839 said:

There's an awesome park by where she lives where she loves to shoot...if she recommends it...TAKE IT! We also shot in Crossroads, but if you want super gritty shots, I'd head to the West Bottoms. AWESOME location...we just didn't have the time to head over there. I'm also partial to the Plaza.

Okay, good to know! We're not from KC, so we don't really have any sentimental locations where we want to go. I thought we'd see what Sarah's ideas are. She sent us a questionnaire to fill out, so that's on our to-do list for this week or next.

Did you buy a prints package? I haven't really thought that far ahead, but just wondering what you had decided to do.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
merilenda|1305068978|2917867 said:

Okay, good to know! We're not from KC, so we don't really have any sentimental locations where we want to go. I thought we'd see what Sarah's ideas are. She sent us a questionnaire to fill out, so that's on our to-do list for this week or next.

Did you buy a prints package? I haven't really thought that far ahead, but just wondering what you had decided to do.

Our engagement session was part of our wedding package, (we're doing the e-bride) and so it's no prints, but I have all our images (all 240 of them...some of them are duplicates b/c she turned them B&W and properly balanced them for us...but probably 200+ unique images) on DVD with a printing release. I have since had some of them printed via MPix but haven't done a large-scale print yet b/c many of them will end up in our guestbook album. Once I make that, and figure out how many prints I'll need to turn our giant blank entryway wall into a photo gallery, I'll order more prints. But I highly recommend MPix for prints if you go the DVD route.

If you head to Sarah's blog, the most recent e-session she blogged (with the planes) also has pics in the park by her home.

Oh, and if the weather craps out on you, go to Union Station for indoor shots.

(Can you tell I'm mildly passionate about photography? And that I think my photographer is super awesome? :D )

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1305046281|2917446 said:
My mom is driving me bonkers! She did this with my sister, and is doing it to me too. She has a problem commiting to a venue until she feels ready. We are penciled in at my church and dream reception site on April 14. She met with them before we were engaged, took me, FI, and FMIL to go see it, and has been back again with my dad to talk contract details. She still won't book.

Any other place I would like for my reception is already booked, so she wants me to keep several dates in mind. Argh. I just want a wedding date. Is that too much to ask?

Rant over!

4ever, you have a lot already squared away! I pretty much only have my dress and a kind-of-wedding-date and venue.

Oh man, sorry OU! That's super frustrating. Hopefully she comes around quickly!!!

We found FI's ceremony tie tonight at Macy's, went to Banana to get his suit pants hemmed, and I ordered cufflinks for my friend doing one of our ceremony readings. Things are moving right along.

My mother, bless her heart, emailed me today asking for the names and "occupations" of the vendors so she can make tip envelopes. Already. 6+ weeks out from the wedding. She is TOO EXCITED. But, seeing as gratuity is already included for the driver of the Bentley and the servers at the reception, and the rest of my vendors are self-employed...I don't really think I *need* tip envelopes. I have a feeling, though, that I'll want her to tip them for going above and beyond by the end of the night.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um|1305080575|2918046 said:
merilenda|1305068978|2917867 said:

Our engagement session was part of our wedding package, (we're doing the e-bride) and so it's no prints, but I have all our images (all 240 of them...some of them are duplicates b/c she turned them B&W and properly balanced them for us...but probably 200+ unique images) on DVD with a printing release. I have since had some of them printed via MPix but haven't done a large-scale print yet b/c many of them will end up in our guestbook album. Once I make that, and figure out how many prints I'll need to turn our giant blank entryway wall into a photo gallery, I'll order more prints. But I highly recommend MPix for prints if you go the DVD route.

If you head to Sarah's blog, the most recent e-session she blogged (with the planes) also has pics in the park by her home.

Oh, and if the weather craps out on you, go to Union Station for indoor shots.

(Can you tell I'm mildly passionate about photography? And that I think my photographer is super awesome? :D )

That makes sense! Your wedding photos will be amazing, I'm sure. I'd definitely want her to shoot our wedding if we were getting married here. I think we've decided not to hire a photographer for the day of our ceremony though. We'll do the engagement pics and then do a portrait session or maybe even TTD or something in our wedding garb after the day. I have a friend who takes pretty nice pictures, plus I'll bring my DSLR with a tripod and a remote.

I saw some e-pics she did in Union Station on her blog! They turned out great! I think there's a Princess Diana exhibit or something going on in there currently, so I wonder if that will affect anything. I definitely like the photos in the park she posted today. Before June, I'll have to take a closer look at her blog and see if there's a location that really stands out at me that I want to do.

Next I need to find clothes to wear!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
::snip:: SB, what about "Something Sweet, and a Little Heat, Love SB & DH" ::snip::
You're so brilliant.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry said:
::snip:: SB, what about "Something Sweet, and a Little Heat, Love SB & DH" ::snip::
You're so brilliant.

Awwwww, shucks! Thanks, SB! :oops:

Guess it's only fair for me to help you with your favors since you gave me the idea for ours! ;-)

Which reminds me...I have 90 little silver tins to wash and dry, and a rub recipe to perfect! :lol:

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Ceremony music: picked!

Our venue has a pipe organ, and the organist is included in our fee. Sooooo, we decided to go with that instead of getting other musicians, and I'm super excited!

Seating of FI's mom and the Bridesmaid Processional: Trumpet Voluntary, Clarke
Bridal Processional (escorted by my mommy): Canon in D, Pachabel
Interlude played during the signing of the marriage contract: Air, from Water Music, Handel
Recessional: Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, Bach

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Hey FutureGirl! I saw these on Etsy and thought of you: lavender invites

Basically this shop provides you with the digital file of the artwork and then you are free to print it however you see fit. It might be a nice cross between professionally designed and DIY, and they have a whole suite of artwork with the lavender theme. She also has a blog and follows a theme through an entire wedding scheme, so you might get some ideas from that!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
VC- I love you, can I have your babies? :love: ......Ok a bit far but this is SUCH A GOOD IDEA! Our printer can probably hack it but maybe profesional will turn out better? Anyway, I check a couple of peoples opinions because it is a bit more intense than I was after- like it is VERY lavender, not just a lill bit purple- but I do really like it. Lots to think about now, THANKS!

ETA: Arggg, now I'm thinking about paying to change the colour on other designs I also like, this could get expensive. Damn my love of beautiful paper products!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
4ever|1305614781|2923768 said:
VC- I love you, can I have your babies? :love: ......Ok a bit far but this is SUCH A GOOD IDEA! Our printer can probably hack it but maybe profesional will turn out better? Anyway, I check a couple of peoples opinions because it is a bit more intense than I was after- like it is VERY lavender, not just a lill bit purple- but I do really like it. Lots to think about now, THANKS!

ETA: Arggg, now I'm thinking about paying to change the colour on other designs I also like, this could get expensive. Damn my love of beautiful paper products!

A friend of mine used their "fiesta" invites and had them printed through an online printer. I forget which one, but I received one and they are totally adorable. She had googled for an online coupon code and managed to print 50 single-panel invites for less than $1 per invite. You could probably use a site like zazzle, vista print, or even your local office supply store to do the printing, and not have it cost an arm and a leg!

Nothing really going on with me...we're down to 40 days...GAH! I am definitely starting to feel the pressure. At least I know that, failing all else, we.have.a.wedding. Well, once I get my dress back from the seamstress and we get the marriage license the Friday before the wedding in KC. We have all the elements to actually GET.MARRIED. So now it's just a matter of making it "OURS" and that is all slowly coming together. Slowly, but surely. But that doesn't prevent me from freaking out randomly. In the last couple days, I've been sitting at my desk and my heart will just start racing for no good reason. It's AWESOME. :rolleyes:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Can I get a big YAY for awesome wedding planners?

Not only is mine completely amazing but she is bringing both her mother, husband and another helper on the day, just to make sure everything gets done. No extra charge.

So far she has:

reminded us to pay registrar fees (we forgot :oops: ) so we didn't lose our officiant

negotiated thousands off the flower costs

got our venue to create a bespoke menu (which I couldn't get them to do on my own)

is holding all our table decor, menus, baskets, every last bit of paraphernalia in her own home

proof read my invitations (and caught mistakes before printing)

negotiated all my vendor contracts

spreadsheeted all my costs (and updates them)

Timetabled our day down to the minute

Comes to all of our supplier meetings, and even my house (130 miles away) to pick up stuff

She makes me feel like I'm the only wedding she's doing, which isn't the case at all.

And she works for a very reasonable flat fee.

:appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results