shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting Engaged - Need help with specs please

Hi all,

I am getting engaged, but I am struggling to choose a diamond. I have spent hours (months) looking at diamonds and I need some help making the final decision.

So I have come here to get some expert advice.

I have narrowed it down to 3 diamonds and I would love some feedback on the specs below. I want the diamond that is the most sparkly!

Diamond 1 specs:
Table 55%
Depth 62.2%
Crown Angle 34.5
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Carat: 1.2c
Medium faceted

Diamond 2:
Table 57%
Depth 61.7%
Crown Angle 35.5
Pavilion Angle 40.7
Carat: 1.2c
Thin to Medium Faceted

Diamond 3:
Table 55.5%
Depth 62.4%
Crown Angle 35.4
Pavilion 40.5
Carat 1.2
Medium Faceted

Thank you for taking the time to read my post :)

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The numbers look pretty good...however, we need to see the stones to see how well the cut is executed. Can you put them
on hold and provide links to the pics/videos?

Thank you for responding.

Glad to hear that the specs look ok. I'm not sure if I can put the diamomds on hold. I'll see if that's a possibility :). Also they are ideal cut, vs1 & d colour.

I came across this chart (below) by a user Garry H, so based off his chart "diamond 1" will be less firey and "diamond 3" will be the most firey.

Diamond 1 looks the sparkliest in the video. I am leaning towards diamond 1. I want some reassurance that it's specs look ok?

I wonder if it stands out as the best out of the 3 as better or worse

Screenshot_20230918-070555_Gallery.jpg

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
if you post the certificate numbers, we can find the videos without disclosing the sellers. There might be tinges, pavilion twist, painting & digging, etc etc …

Trying to judge diamonds without videos is sort of like judging job candidates from resumes. We can help you a lot more if we see them.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto @0515vision

The numbers alone are not enough to determine if it's a good choice. There are other reasons why we would not pick certain
stones.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had a lot of ideas after I read the title but now I see it's all about the diamond

That's understandable that you need to see the diamond. I guess based off that response, their specs are all pretty similar and nothing is standing out as glaringly worse or superior to anyone, which is great!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's understandable that you need to see the diamond. I guess based off that response, their specs are all pretty similar and nothing is standing out as glaringly worse or superior to anyone, which is great!

Just based on the numbers, my pick would be #1 as it's the closest to Tolkowsky ideal. The other two are a tiny bit out of the usual PS recommended ranges.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

I'd order them #1, #3, then #2 just based off of the numbers, but unfortunately there is so much that can be wrong with a diamond in its 3D space that can cause serious problems with optical performance, regardless of the numbers and rather generic cut grade given by a grading lab, even if that cut grade is their highest awarded.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
To get the best advice you should post videos, photos in different lighting conditions and ASET scope images if possible. What vendor are you looking at using? If they don’t have the diamond in house, some of them will bring it in and photograph it for you and give you an in-person opinion.

You can’t go wrong with the experts on here. If you’re worried about someone swiping your stone out from under you, find a way to post photos/videos without giving the cert#. (I don’t know how to do that!! LOL, but I know it can be done.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results