shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting a wedding band to match my ring

joey2talk2

Rough_Rock
Hi,
So I purchased a 11103P ring at James allen. James allen claims the ring is 2.5mm thick and they've informed me that the thickness near the head assembly is 2.3mm and that the thickness of the shank is 1.6mm.

Now I want to get a wedding band for my future wife. We have been debating a lot between rings. I see the matching wedding band model 14051P however I personally didnt want any diamonds to be present on the wedding band. This is the main reason why I got sidestones on the engagement ring.

Now I am looking at James allen website and they don't have any thicknesses whatsoever written there so I am looking to get a ring that will fit nicely with it. I came across a blue nile band what do you guys think.

25688 - 2mm Low Dome Comfort Fit Wedding Ring - 440$ cad
http://www.bluenile.com/ca/wedding-ring-platinum_25688?keyword_search_value=25688

The thing that I want to make sure is that both these rings will sit flush inside her hand so that she doesn't have any step. James allen ring is not a comfort type ring and the bluenile one is. Will they be the same height? Bluenile claims the height of this ring or thickness is 1.65mm and they measure this from the biggest part and since its not flat and is a comfort fit what does that mean. Anyways I am open to suggestions on finding a ring that will look good with this ring.

Since I will be getting for myself white tungsten or cobalt chrome ring I wanted to do the same with hers but was worried if this would cause the platinum to wear out or get scratched if they are worn on the same finger. Our theory is that the engagement ring will be worn for going out or nice events and we wanted to have our wedding bands that can be worn everyday and we dont have to worry about getting it ruined.

Thanks for the help any help is appreciated.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In a domed band, the measurement is taken at the thickest point, that is, at the top of the dome. And, since the band is domed, I would not worry about feeling a small difference in height. The curve of the dome and the gap that creates is going to be more perceptible than a small height difference. The gap created by the curve of the dome is actually good - it allows the rings to move better when she closes her fingers, since the curves can move against one another much better than two flat surfaces.

Both tungsten and cobalt chrome are considerable harder than platinum, so they would wear the platinum. However, if you are only wearing the engagement rings occasionally, this wouldn't be a problem since the "total wear time" will be low. If they are plain bands, they shouldn't scratch. Scratching isn't a matter of just touching, after all. I wear a sapphire a lot of the time and it hasn't scratched everything in the house, since it is a cab (no sharp points to scratch with). If you are going to wear both rings together often, though, go for a platinum wedding band. Platinum is quite resistant and it stands up well to everyday use (unless you are doing things like rock climbing but you should never wear a ring rock climbing, in any case).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results