shape
carat
color
clarity

Georgian garnet earrings

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Just sharing a recent happy find--a pair of antique--probably Georgian--garnet earrings. I got them for an excellent price--I think the seller must have thought they were just a mid-20th century, slightly-better-than-costume pair. The garnets are flat cut, collet set, and closed backed, set in (supposedly tested, unmarked) 10K gold, with their original fittings replaced with 20th-century screw-on fittings. I'm planning to convert them back to shepherd's hooks, which I assume is what they were originally. (Unless they started out as a pair of lace pins, part of a necklace, or some such--but they match perfectly, so I think probably earrings.) Or should I make them into pierced-ear studs? They can't stay as screw-ons, anyway--I'll lose them immediately if I ever dare to wear them.

IMG_1616.jpeg

IMG_1628.jpeg

Apologies for this hideous, blurry photo! It's very hard to take a picture of one's own ear. And I had no idea my hair had gotten that gray!
IMG_1601.jpeg

IMG_1647.jpeg

The back view, along with the back of a Georgian garnet pendant (possibly the drop from a single earring) that I bought long ago, when nobody cared about these things. The screw-on fittings are marked 9c, presumably for 9K gold.
IMG_1652.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yummy! That color!
I think converting them back to dangle earrings is the way to go.
What a great find!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Just sharing a recent happy find--a pair of antique--probably Georgian--garnet earrings. I got them for an excellent price--I think the seller must have thought they were just a mid-20th century, slightly-better-than-costume pair. The garnets are flat cut, collet set, and closed backed, set in (supposedly tested, unmarked) 10K gold, with their original fittings replaced with 20th-century screw-on fittings. I'm planning to convert them back to shepherd's hooks, which I assume is what they were originally. (Unless they started out as a pair of lace pins, part of a necklace, or some such--but they match perfectly, so I think probably earrings.) Or should I make them into pierced-ear studs? They can't stay as screw-ons, anyway--I'll lose them immediately if I ever dare to wear them.

IMG_1616.jpeg

IMG_1628.jpeg

Apologies for this hideous, blurry photo! It's very hard to take a picture of one's own ear. And I had no idea my hair had gotten that gray!
IMG_1601.jpeg

IMG_1647.jpeg

The back view, along with the back of a Georgian garnet pendant (possibly the drop from a single earring) that I bought long ago, when nobody cared about these things. The screw-on fittings are marked 9c, presumably for 9K gold.
IMG_1652.jpeg

What nice examples, those are so beautifully bright! Shepherd hooks will be perfect.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They’re beautiful - what a nice pop of color! Dangles for sure!

Brigid

Shiny_Rock
They’re lovely, great find!
I would change them to shepherd hooks or click backs, I have small earlobes so I only wear drop style earrings.
Do what suits you, they will always be pretty regardless.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the color!

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Dangles! Show us the front of your garnet pendant as well please!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh great find, I love them! They are perfect with your pendant. I vote danglies!!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
And for those who are going to ask: Two travel books from the late 19th century; the item stuck inside is a map of the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition (world fair). O for a time machine!

IMG_2707.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are wonderful!
The color is like a juicy pomegranate.

And the books....that marbled fore edge is fascinating. I have a book around here like that.........

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
They are wonderful!
The color is like a juicy pomegranate.

And the books....that marbled fore edge is intriguing!

The marbled edge is on an 1893 Baedecker's guide to the US. According to the inscription, "Aunt Lulu" gave it to "Frances" in 1897. It's packed with maps and goodies Frances appears to have used as bookmarks, such as part of a letter and a list of hotels she stayed in west of St. Louis, with her opinion of their quality.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The marbled edge is on an 1893 Baedecker's guide to the US. According to the inscription, "Aunt Lulu" gave it to "Frances" in 1897. It's packed with maps and goodies Frances appears to have used as bookmarks, such as part of a letter and a list of hotels she stayed in west of St. Louis, with her opinion of their quality.

Aunt Lulu must've had descriminating taste!
The one I have is "Sherman and his Campaigns", by Cols. Bowman and Irwin, first edition printed in 1865.
But it's in bad condition, so not worth much.
Screenshot_20231117-100133~2.png

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you wear these with the pendant, it will be a stunning look!

B

Betty Baguette

Oooh, lovely earrings!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love how those hang from your earlobe - perfection!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results