shape
carat
color
clarity

Genetically enhanced humans, China leads the way

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Policy-making politicians in western democracies must listen to voters who largely oppose human-GM on 'moral' grounds.
China, which doesn't have to bother with pesky voters, is motivated by unbridled nationalism and self interest.

A country will benefit from genetically enhanced humans; they'll be stronger, healthier, more intelligent and physically attractive.
GM can even lower violence, improve memory, and tailor 'moral' thinking.

Perhaps some babies will be optimized for math and science, others motherhood, picking crops, factory work, and others for the Army.
... whatever serves the needs of the state.
Maybe they'll even change physical appearance; I know many people around the world admire lighter skin and rounder eyes.

China and India stand poised to enjoy significant economic advantages from eugenics.
"Moral" western countries will be left behind.

Fascinating article.
http://www.bbc.com/future/stor...-genetic-enhancement

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I think this is a really bad idea. Scientifically I'm sure this is really exciting and innovative but playing God never ends well. Granted not everyone believes in a higher power so they might not be opposed from that standpoint. If we are to look at the bigger picture consider that being genetically modified could become the new norm and those who have that advantage would get preferred treatment. Also some people who are opposed on a religious level would not embrace this and I could see that government could take advantage of this by eliminating medical freedom and forcing medical procedures or taking away parental rights because the parents are putting the children at risk by exposing them to diseases preventable by genetic modification. We see this already in the pro vs anti vaccine groups (not trying to start that debate) you can see that parents who are religiously opposed to even just one vaccine (Gardasil for example) are labeled, excluded and bullied and in some cases have children removed from their custody.

Slippery slope in my opinion.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is terrying. Truly. It is a new slave race... enslaved by their very DNA to be whatever society needs, not to be their own individuals. No doubt mental, national, and moral "programing" will be part of their upbringing too, and some kind of mechinism to control them with so they don't rise up against their creators. A true slave race of humans.

I am not against genetic modification to prevent disease, deformity or things like that. I think its smart. But there is a BRIGHT line for me.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's like the plot of futuristic novels & movies, like Brave New World has come true. Deeply disturbing whilst simultaneously fascinating that the countries that have some of the lowest regard for human life are the ones that want to further enhance it....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
arkieb1|1470715163|4063750 said:
It's like the plot of futuristic novels & movies, like Brave New World has come true. Deeply disturbing whilst simultaneously fascinating that the countries that have some of the lowest regard for human life are the ones that want to further enhance it....

Its frightening for that very reason. You know it wont be done responsibly or humanely, and it won't be on the best interests of the babies/people.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So many things about the world today are deeply disturbing, frightening even.

I'm glad I'm old.
I feel sorry for the young, especially in America.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1470720373|4063771 said:
arkieb1|1470715163|4063750 said:

Its frightening for that very reason. You know it wont be done responsibly or humanely, and it won't be on the best interests of the babies/people.

I agree that IS why it's so disturbing because it is being used for the wrong purposes, on the flip side of that one of my son's friend's mother just died a couple of days ago from breast cancer, she leaves behind 5 children, aged 18, 14, 8, 5 and 3 - my hope is that one day genetic engineering can help the sick, the weak and the elderly. The catch-22 is that in some of these countries (with appalling standards) the very fact they are allowed to experiment on humans sometimes does further the both the science and the technology.

Having said that, don't get me wrong, I don't think humans genetically engineered to be a super race is EVER going to be good for anyone.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
StephanieLynn|1470679759|4063580 said:
Personally, I think this is a really bad idea. Scientifically I'm sure this is really exciting and innovative but playing God never ends well. Granted not everyone believes in a higher power so they might not be opposed from that standpoint. If we are to look at the bigger picture consider that being genetically modified could become the new norm and those who have that advantage would get preferred treatment. Also some people who are opposed on a religious level would not embrace this and I could see that government could take advantage of this by eliminating medical freedom and forcing medical procedures or taking away parental rights because the parents are putting the children at risk by exposing them to diseases preventable by genetic modification. We see this already in the pro vs anti vaccine groups (not trying to start that debate) you can see that parents who are religiously opposed to even just one vaccine (Gardasil for example) are labeled, excluded and bullied and in some cases have children removed from their custody.

Slippery slope in my opinion.
This. Guaranteed.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1470720602|4063773 said:
So many things about the world today are deeply disturbing, frightening even.

I'm glad I'm old.
I feel sorry for the young, especially in America.

Yes I often feel this way too. Sad isn't it? When one is actually happy to be closer to the end than the beginning. I feel sorry for my nieces and their children to be in this "brave new world". Terrifying on so many levels. :errrr: :cry:

Of course I still hold out hope (cause that is the only thing we can do) for somehow a better brighter tomorrow and hope these disturbing things don't come to fruition.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results