shape
carat
color
clarity

Gene's Latest

T

talamasca

Ooo did anyone here get Gene's Lindi Garnet or Pink trillion cut Sapphire?

They are both gorgeous :love:

chrissy0116

Rough_Rock
that Lindi garnet was magnificent!!!! yum! :lickout:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow, that lindi garnet is really really pretty! :love:

-A

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HOw does one find out he has new things? Just checking back? Does he do a newsletter?

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is a gorgeous stone.

I got Gene's opposed bar garnet a while ago and it is so pretty! A total steal at $25.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1306538258|2932046 said:
HOw does one find out he has new things? Just checking back? Does he do a newsletter?

Supposedly there's an app that people use on their cell phones that updates them when a web page is newly updated. That's why we have so many quick snipers. :Up_to_something:

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
TL|1306631851|2932781 said:
athenaworth|1306538258|2932046 said:

Supposedly there's an app that people use on their cell phones that updates them when a web page is newly updated. That's why we have so many quick snipers. :Up_to_something:

**goes to check for app

:saint:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you buy the application from vendors, or from Apple? :lol:

This tourmaline is lovely. Very good quality for the money.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1306641690|2932918 said:
Do you buy the application from vendors, or from Apple? :lol:

This tourmaline is lovely. Very good quality for the money.

I don't know, never used it, just heard of it. So many people have the app that there's several snipers on the popular lapidary webpages for gems. Having the app doesn't guarantee you'll get a gem, but it gives you a better chance than someone without it. I'm sure all the people that have the app are hating me right about now. Off to hide in a corner. :oops:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene sends out his RSS feed every time he releases new stones, so if I think about it and check that folder for one of his blog updates, great! The fact of the matter is that I check his website every few days regardless. I sure want to know who got the spinel and whether its really that saturated...

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Well it wasn't me. By happenstance I did check his site 20 minutes after the spinel was listed and bought it immediately. I hate online shopping carts that fail to update the availability of inventory. After I "bought" it I noticed that the "Add to cart" button was still there and still added the item. I was up all night with anxiety about it. Got up in the morning the stone was still available. I dragged the dog to the bank to move money around so it was covered. when I got home there was the email telling me someone had gotten it before me. Ok so losing out on a stone is not quite heartbreaking, but this one was more than disappointing.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh VL, I am really sorry to hear that. I am so tired of not winning stones! It just seems like in this day and age, there has got to be a better system. Of all the stones I've bought through online cart purchasing systems, it sure seems that for almost 75% of them I end up getting a "Dear John" letter later for it.

But I was rooting for you to get that spinel - I'm sorry.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't know how Windows works, but on a Mac, the RSS feeds come right into your mail. Isn't there some way to set this up on a Windows system? Maybe it's a function of what you use for you mail software. I'd think that Mozella has this feature.

Here's how it looks on a Mac

Screenshot2011-05-29at1.32.16PM.png

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
PrecisionGem|1306690645|2933191 said:
I don't know how Windows works, but on a Mac, the RSS feeds come right into your mail. Isn't there some way to set this up on a Windows system? Maybe it's a function of what you use for you mail software. I'd think that Mozella has this feature.

Here's how it looks on a Mac
If you use Outlook or Outlook express.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok, so I googled this, and there is a plugin for outlook that does basically the samething, and a plugin for Firefox that scrolls over your screen when there is an update to an RSS feed.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I had tried the rss thing back with the old PG site on firefox. All that did was put "PG rss feed" in my Bookmarks Toolbar. I found that it did not notify me of updates and only listed the contents when I would click on it. Even then, however it wouldn't know of updates unless I went to the website, so it was no better than obsessively checking the website forty times a day. I dont know if the new PG site is the same architecture with just cosmetic changes, and I doubt it would matter. So I just downloaded that add-on for firefox. and have the rss feed in my bookmarks toolbar. Now I get a crawl of the listings from the PG blog at the bottom of my browser window.
It remains to be seen if it will display updates to the site automatically, or if I will go nuts having an endless crawl. Even so it would be awesome if the websites carts would remove items as they sell so that no Dear John letters have to be sent or received. I'll also say that it wouldn't be so disheartening if the stone and the cutting weren't so good!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My advice VapidLapid.... get a Mac. I'm surprised you don't have one, you seem like an intellectual, and these types typically have Macs. My satisfaction level with computers went up 10 fold when I switched to Mac about 5 years ago.

The automatically updating shopping cart would require me to use a whole different approach to the website, and the monthly cost would go up, and need to be passed on to the stone cost. The good thing about the dear John letters is that if a stone is returned I know who is next in line, and can send an email out to them. In the case of this spinel, that would be YOU!

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Which spinel?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I use a Mac.
I think the add-on that I got from the mozilla site will do the trick. When I installed it the scrawl started at the bottom of the browser. I could click on any of the headings and that page opened. Also the heading that was clicked would then be removed from the crawl, so the crawl was only showing updated pages I had not seen yet. Since I've clicked them all there is now no more crawl, but the space for the crawl remains (crawlspace?) I expect that when the new update comes the crawl will return. Obviously that spinel was so nice I would crawl to it!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Well there you go, I dont use MAc mail, I use Gmail and mail from my isp to keep mail from downloading onto my computer, thus I only see mail "online". But the firefox add-on worked well after I adjusted the firefox preferences for managing add-ons.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably be described as an "intellectual" but I am not a Mac owner. :D

In fact, most people who are really interested in computer programming or computer modifications don't buy Macs because while they are much more user friendly, they are much less customization-friendly. So most of my friends who are software programmers by profession, actually use PCs for their primarily computers.

Sorry, just had to say something, lol.

And sorry Vapid you didn't get that spinel! It looked marvelous.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
I am an engineer/analyst, and I have a PC too; I, as do most of my co-workers, use a combination of Windows and cygwin tools at work, so there :) There are a couple of hardcore Mac users at work, but I'd have to say that real intellectuals use Linux, though I'm not there yet! I am set up with Google Reader, though this doesn't help me when I forget to check the RSS feed.

Gene, I should also point out that you changed your RSS feed about a month ago when you redid your website AND (at least to the best of my knowledge) YOU DIDN'T POST THIS ON YOUR OLD FEED. I remember thinking, "Hey, I haven't seen any new gems on PG for a while!" and then wondering how come people were talking about your drops and I didn't know about it...

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MakingTheGrade|1306787407|2933885 said:
I would probably be described as an "intellectual" but I am not a Mac owner. :D

In fact, most people who are really interested in computer programming or computer modifications don't buy Macs because while they are much more user friendly, they are much less customization-friendly. So most of my friends who are software programmers by profession, actually use PCs for their primarily computers.

Sorry, just had to say something, lol.

And sorry Vapid you didn't get that spinel! It looked marvelous.

That's not really true, just look at the Apple App store. All these Apps are written on Macs. I think there are over 300,000 of them.

I'm a mechanical engineer by profession, and because I'm forced to do use Windows machines at work. For 15 years all I did was write engineering software on Windows. Mac's are based on UNIX and the most common language the people doing development on Mac is a from of C+. I think many people write programs on Windows using Visual Basic since it's easier to learn, but not as powerful as C. The hot platform on Apple is now XCODE, which can use C+ or Cocoa. This is what the iPhone, iPad and many other Apples apps are written on.

I didn't try to insinuate that dummies use Windows machine, it just seemed from Vapid's posts, he had that Apple guy tone about him. The artsy people are more Apple people.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point Deorwine, I think the same thing happened to me...I realized that with the website update, there was a change, but I I believe I would not have been aware of it had I not gone to the website...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone tried programming a Droid to inform you about new stones? I mean, I may be somewhere else, not in immediate proximity to my computer... It should be fun to get a special signal each time there is a new release! Just plain fun! I shall ask my son to try it...

As to PC vs MAC's - I think MAC is for people who are more visual. They just like clicking on icons.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
ok, A visual intellectual, then, am I. Truth is my Mac is partitioned and can boot windows or snow leopard. I use the PC side to run all my CAD and Zemax optical design software. Photoshop and internet I run on the mac side. The thing that I think is important from this discussion is that people who use firefox like me or ie or whatever now have the info to make the rss thing work for them.

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
We've got a house full of Macs, in no small part because they both "just work" and because as Unix engineers we can get under the covers and work them. I did my time running large-scale datacentres and don't want to have the headache of Windows in my life.

We do run Parallels with an ancient copy of Windows that's not allowed on the internet for some specialized software, but we write our own tools and run our business DB on Mac OS.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed, I think artists use Macs more often.
I think hardcore computer/gamer folk tend towards PCs for cost-value reasons and because you can change it up to be exactly what you need, last I checked you can't swap in graphics cards yourself on any of the macs, or mod them in any easy way.

Haha, and yes, clearly people do program on Macs for apple products, but most coders I know still have at least one PC in addition to their Mac. Again, just because of the cost-value/customization.

Anyways, sorry for the tangent!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results