shape
carat
color
clarity

general help finding/ordering an antique

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LB123

Rough_Rock
Hi all I''m new and in need of a little direction.

My BF has asked me to do some preliminary research to us choosing an e-ring. We both want a genuine antique ring (estate would also be fine). We live in a small town with not many B&M options, so I''m assuming we''ll purchase online.

I''ve been bookmarking rings I like online, but now I''ve become concerned with the return policies at some of these places. I found via searching on PS that a 14 day return policy is considered the industry standard. Would you automatically discount a store with a 7 day policy?

The store that has the most inventory I like is Israel Rose and they have a 7 day return policy. They seem to be fairly reputable... but my question is, if we ordered from them how would that work? I suppose we''d have to have an appointment already scheduled with an independant appraiser before we order the ring? Then if we weren''t happy with the appraisal, pay to overnight the ring back to Israel Rose?

I''d appreciate any help figuring all of this out.

...maybe we''d just be better off driving a few hours to a big town and visiting the B&Ms??

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Where are you located. I have a good friend in retail in the Cape May, NJ area who makes it his business to stock authentic old engagement rings. Maybe someone else can assist you, too, if we know where you reside.

LB123

Rough_Rock
I''m in the panhandle of FL. Our budget is under $5K, ideally under $4K.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
A 7-day policy would be okay by me if I could set up an appraisal appointment within that window. If that''s a hardship for you, ask the seller if they''re willing to be a little more flexible (giving you 10 or 14 days instead of 7). A reputable seller should be fine with giving you a few more days to evaluate your purchase, as long as it''s not a burden on them (and 10 days instead of 7 days is not an unreasonable request).

I don''t know if you''ve already looked at them, but I''d also recommend Singlestone, Jewels by Erica Grace, and Leigh Jay Nacht (antiqueengagementrings.com) as vendors who carry antique and estate pieces and have good reputations here on PS. I believe they all have good return policies as well.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Welcome! I''m sure you''ll get lots of great advice and find a gorgeous ring...I know fay cullen has some great suff, but their return policy is not good! I like Israel Rose and nelson rarities and dover jewelry...

LB123

Rough_Rock
I don''t like how Fay Cullen is vague on which items are actual antiques and which are repros... Don''t think we''ll be shopping there.

I''ve found a few I like at Art Deco Diamonds. Also Weston Jewelry. Any feedback on these two?

I''m just shocked by some of the stores that only offer a 3 day return policy (Dover, Ruby Lane, Marlene Harris) . It''s hard to imagine having it appraised and shipped back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results