shape
carat
color
clarity

General advice (for newbie) re: princess cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone,

This is my first post and b/f I start I''ll just say that this board blows away the other 2 diamond forums I''ve been lurking on.
I''m looking to make the big purchase later this summer but I figured it''s never too early to start to gather information and figure out what is going to be important when it comes time to pull the trigger.

I was thinking round cut all the way but the little lady threw me a curveball last time we went into Tiffany''s and looked at their newly released princes cut rings. We saw a VVS1, I, 1.25 carat (largest they had) for the price of $11,600. My first thought was, "not bad, but I wonder how much I''m paying for the VVS1 clarity when VS1 or 2 would be fine." Second thought was even on this small girl''s hands the ring looks small. She has a 4.5 ring size and is a petite 5''2" gal so this came a surprise to me. What also came as a surprise to me was a call I got from my Tiffany''s sales guy a week later with the new that a 1.5 carat would run $20,000+...ouch

I''ve scoured the online diamond sites (mostly those that have been recommended on here) but I''m not too worried about comparing individual stones just yet. Right now I''m looking to see if anyone has seen the Tiffany''s ring and what their thoughts were on it. I know my GF would love to get an ER from Tiffany''s but she''d also be happy to know I saved a bunch of money and got her a better ring. I''d love at this point some suggestions on where to find a very plain, classic setting similar to T and Co''s. It''s just a 4 prong with a ~2mm band (platinum preffered). Also, any thoughts on what if anything is particularly important in a princess cut (clarity, color, cut). To me, the clarity seemed perhaps less important because princesses seemed to sparkle enough to make the already negligible difference b/w a VVS and a VS virtually meaningless.

Finally, any pictures on a hand of a princess in the 1.25 - 2.0 carat range would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the lengthy post, thanks in advance.

-MIKE

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffany doesn't have anything resembling a princess (well, this would be the first mention of it on PS if they do,) but their newest cut is the Novo, a square cushion. SI is fine for clarity, too.

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
No, they do. It has basically just been released. I was in the King of Prussia, PA store and they had a 1 ct and a 1.26 ct in stock. They were going to get 1.5''s in by late May. I''m 100% positve they exist but they''re so new they aren''t even listed online yet, I just looked at the Novo from an image search and it''s not that for sure, although I really like that cut as well.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, in a way, that''s good...a princess is a princess, it''s not exclusive to Tiff, so you aren''t as limited.

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
Ironmikey,

The tiffany setting is very popular and widely replicated at many jewellers and online venders. Check out some of the online vendor websites and while you''re at it, you can search for the rock too. You can start by pricescoping your diamond as above....

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
The size of the princess cut will face up smaller than the RB. For example:

1.0 ct RB=6.5 mm v. 1.0 ct. princess=6 mm x 6 mm
1.5 ct RB=7.4 mm v. 1. 5 ct princess=6.5 mm x 6.5 mm

Of course, IRL these measurements may vary, depending on the cut of the stone. Do check out our online vendors for a great princess that won''t cost you 20 large
3.gif

kohdy

Shiny_Rock

Hello Iron Mikey!

I am not as petite as your girlfriend (my ring size is 7 and I am 5''7"), but I will show you some photos of my ring as I happen to own a 1.81 ct princess cut diamond ring. I am slim, but for some odd reason, I was born with these giantic hands...

40.gif

Anyway, here are some details about my stone: GIA certified modified square brilliant cut, 1.81ct, D color, VVS2 clarity, no fluorescence or culet, excellent polish, good symmetry, laser inscription by GIA on the stone

The band is a cathedral in platinum. The width of the band is 4.5mm.

princessincathedral1.jpg

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
Here is another...

princessincathedral2.0.jpg

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
Yet another...

I hope this helps.
2.gif

princessincathedral3.0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results