shape
carat
color
clarity

Gemstones in Thailand

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Hey,

So I am heading to Thailand this summer and am considering getting a gemstone ring while I am there. Considering i know nothing about gemstones is this a good or a bad idea??

Are there any reputable places in Bangkok? Are they any particular gems that are less expensive to purchase in Thailand? Anyone any experience of purchasing while there?

Thanks

Hey,

So I am heading to Thailand this summer and am considering getting a gemstone ring while I am there. Considering i know nothing about gemstones is this a good or a bad idea??

Are there any reputable places in Bangkok? Are they any particular gems that are less expensive to purchase in Thailand? Anyone any experience of purchasing while there?

Thanks

Thailand is a gemstone mecca, and some of the world's finest stones pass through it. But just like if you were shopping for gems in NYC or LA, you want to educate yourself so you can make an informed purchase. Hopefully our Asian members and/or vendors who deal directly with Bangkok suppliers can give you some reputable sources. Just be careful... I don't know what your budget is, but folks who have been at this for decades still run into snags when gem hunting abroad. It'd be like saying, "I know absolutely nothing about cars, but I'm going to Mecum Auctions and placing a bid." Risky! All of that being said, I hope you have a wonderful trip!!

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I'd say you have two choices. Either you spend the time until your vacation learning all that you can, or you settle on a modest budget (think money you can afford to lose), buy something pretty as a memento and then make sure to be careful when wearing it because some treatments are unstable.

You'll be able to find pretty much anything you might wish for in Thailand. Have you considered what gem you might like to own and wear?

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Hey,

Thanks

Contact and meet David Weinberg, www.multicolour.com.

David is an American selling gemstones for years in Thailand. He is one of the world's largest colored gemstone dealers, one of the most respected people in the colored gemstone business, and his business and influence goes much deeper than what you see on the internet. If anyone can help you David can. He also sells finished colored gemstone jewelry his wife designs and has a long history of selling Diamonds and is probably the biggest seller of Alexandrite in the world.

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
I'd say you have two choices. Either you spend the time until your vacation learning all that you can, or you settle on a modest budget (think money you can afford to lose), buy something pretty as a memento and then make sure to be careful when wearing it because some treatments are unstable.

You'll be able to find pretty much anything you might wish for in Thailand. Have you considered what gem you might like to own and wear?

Avondale, The second option is what I am thinking! Something that isn't going to break the bank, just to have a holiday memento and to dip my toe into things. I'm thinking I would like something blue, maybe a sapphire or topaz? open to options though!

@fredflintstone I'll look that website up! Id love a finished piece so that might be workable!

@autumninnewEngland I'm really only looking for a holiday memory, not looking to buy anything very expensive! I definitely don't know enough about gems for that!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Avondale, The second option is what I am thinking! Something that isn't going to break the bank, just to have a holiday memento and to dip my toe into things. I'm thinking I would like something blue, maybe a sapphire or topaz? open to options though!

@fredflintstone I'll look that website up! Id love a finished piece so that might be workable!

@autumninnewEngland I'm really only looking for a holiday memory, not looking to buy anything very expensive! I definitely don't know enough about gems for that!

I hope you do, you will not find a more honest man selling gemstones and jewelry in Thailand than David. He is in Bangkok and also New York City. Known him for more than 30 years.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock

Blue sapphire and blue topaz are in entirely different leagues price-wise. Topaz is a lot more affordable due to greater availability and also partially due to the fact that it's all irradiated. Blue sapphires are commonly heated (to the point where finding an unheated one may be a challenge) but due to being in greater demand and lower supply, their price can easily reach up to 1k per carat for a nice, saturated, heated blue, and then continue climbing even further.

I'd say going for a piece with blue topaz would be a safe choice. The treatment is known and stable, topaz is sturdy enough to be worn in a ring, has gorgeous blue colour, and it definitely won't break the bank.

In order to buy something good, you'll need two things:

1. Familiarise yourself with the different shades blue topaz comes in so that you can select your favourite and go for that. I'm a fan of swiss blue topaz, but maybe you'll prefer the darker london blue.

2. Learn a bit about quality cut. It's not much information to process, but will be very useful. I've seen with my own eyes a seller try to convince me that a tanzanite he had for sale was "extremely clean", when the stone was in fact extremely windowed, which only served to better show how prominently included it was. An informed customer is less likely to fall victim to predatory sales techniques.

Other blue gems are tanzanite, which I won't recommend as a first choice due to how fragile it is, unless you choose something safe like a pendant. Tanzanite has gorgeous blue colour. There's also aquamarine, if you want a paler, pastel blue. Both are usually heated.

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Blue sapphire and blue topaz are in entirely different leagues price-wise. Topaz is a lot more affordable due to greater availability and also partially due to the fact that it's all irradiated. Blue sapphires are commonly heated (to the point where finding an unheated one may be a challenge) but due to being in greater demand and lower supply, their price can easily reach up to 1k per carat for a nice, saturated, heated blue, and then continue climbing even further.

I'd say going for a piece with blue topaz would be a safe choice. The treatment is known and stable, topaz is sturdy enough to be worn in a ring, has gorgeous blue colour, and it definitely won't break the bank.

In order to buy something good, you'll need two things:

1. Familiarise yourself with the different shades blue topaz comes in so that you can select your favourite and go for that. I'm a fan of swiss blue topaz, but maybe you'll prefer the darker london blue.

2. Learn a bit about quality cut. It's not much information to process, but will be very useful. I've seen with my own eyes a seller try to convince me that a tanzanite he had for sale was "extremely clean", when the stone was in fact extremely windowed, which only served to better show how prominently included it was. An informed customer is less likely to fall victim to predatory sales techniques.

Other blue gems are tanzanite, which I won't recommend as a first choice due to how fragile it is, unless you choose something safe like a pendant. Tanzanite has gorgeous blue colour. There's also aquamarine, if you want a paler, pastel blue. Both are usually heated.

Avondale, thanks for the advice. London blue topaz was my initial choice as I know it wouldn’t be an eye watering cost (or mistake if I end up with a piece of glass ) I also love the dark blue look. I’m strangely drawn to really dark almost navy sapphires as well which I know is minority as most people prefer a bluer colour!

I was thinking maybe some sort of a three stone with lab diamond side stones but we’ll see. I was only thinking that as I haven’t really seen a nice solitare gem stones rings and I don’t want a halo. I also want an elongated shape, oval, emerald, radiant, even a marquis! I also want it large, at least 10x8 minimum. Setting it all out now maybe it will cost and arm and leg! Eek!

If anyone has pics of any nice one stone designs please share.

@fredflintstone I’ve had a look at the website and boy does he have gemstone! I found his IG also so will reach out to see what’s doable and maybe get a ballpark! Thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results