shape
carat
color
clarity

Gemstone Ring @ Pawn Shop

amoline

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

Was wondering if you all could give me any suggestions/advice. I got bored today and went around to some of our local pawn shops looking for things.

I came across the ring in the picture at the bottom... it's a very pretty ring. The store employee insisted, of course, that they are all trained well and know their gemstones, and also claimed this was not an emerald, because "emeralds are darker". He said his "best guess" was a peridot. I'm not a gemologist but I am 99% sure this is not a peridot. It looks very emerald like, and it did have a nice appearance in the store. The mounting is 14k gold, and that's about all I know. It looks well crafted. I'm sorry for not having better photos.

I guess my question is - is there anything I can do as a non-expert to tell or figure out anything about it in terms of authenticity, etc? They wanted just over $200 for it. I know that some emeralds are treated beyond belief, so I suppose this could either be a great deal or a total ripoff.

Curious to see what the good folks here at PS have to say. Is something like this worth the chance?

greenring.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
It's possible that it's synthetic emerald. Doubt it's a peridot, but if they tested the density maybe it could be an imposter stone? Also possible it's natural tsavorite garnet. I think it looks a bit too clean to be a natural emerald.

If you were to wear this as-is, then you should buy it. If you're looking to get a good deal out of it by reprising the stone, I would suggest you get a presidium tester to help you identify it rather than by replying on pictures. Even a completely natural looking emerald could be a lab emerald, and I don't think prices are well-established for what lab emeralds should cost.

amoline

Shiny_Rock
I had similar thoughts Voce. It looks pretty dang clean to be a natural emerald.

I am not sure what store's policies are regarding testing things in store. I have never tried before

Thanks for your (as always) great thoughts!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
For $200, In my humble opinion, the gold and diamonds (they should be able to test those in store) are worth the price alone.
For me personally I would nab it and then have fun identifying the gemstone.
My gut says that its natural but voce is correct, at that price point thats a really clean emerald making it highly dubious.
I say purchase only if youre ok with the gemstone being synthetic! In that case you can always switch out the stone (:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm not an expert either but it looks like an emerald to me too. I don't think you'd be getting ripped off at only $200, regardless. I'd simply go by if you like it and want it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is emerald or created emerald. Peridots are not that colour. What is the metal 9K, 14K, 18K, generally the lower the gold content the more chance it will be a synthetic the higher ie if it's 18K the greater the chance it could be something like a real emerald or a Tsav or something decent.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ditto what others said, the setting alone is worth $200. My guess is a lighter emerald. It's pretty and I'd keep it in the setting. The inclusions look typical for an emerald. Lighter emeralds are often cleaner than more saturated emeralds. It could also be a synthetic (i.e. don't buy it just for the stone).

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The store may not have a presidium gem tester, but they may have a device that can identify diamonds vs glass. If the "diamonds" are diamonds and not glass, it's a buy.

voce

Ideal_Rock
That setting is only worth $200 if you're going to use it as a setting and not taking it apart for the gold and the gems set into it. That setting is not sure to appeal to everyone, and the "diamonds" don't look particularly colorless or sparkly. My guess, given the 14k gold, and the look of the ring, would be lower quality diamonds, which would be worth <$50 at estimated 2mm size. The melt price of the gold, depending on the size of the ring, I estimate at $60-$100. So if you're OK paying $50 for a synthetic emerald, or want the setting, or want to take a gamble in hopes it's a tsav, then it's worth it. Otherwise, I'd personally skip this "deal".

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a good point. I think it may only be a deal if you like the ring as is to wear or sell, versus being disassembled for parts.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's gorgeous. I'd buy it in a heartbeat at that price.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too. I have seen emeralds that clean, and it still has an internal world ..it might also be a Tourmaline as I’ve seen some which look a lot like emeralds. Regardless, it’s a lovely ring:)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am no expert by any stretch, just a hobbyist, but it looks like a genuine emerald to me. I can see inclusions in it. I really don't think it's a peridot. Imo it's a gorgeous ring! Very different. I'd buy it at that price, no question.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh it is so pretty. I would not think twice at that price (if you adore it).

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I have an apatite that looks similar to this. I can't tell from the pictures if there are some inclusions or if it's just a reflection of the setting. I would need better pictures for a good educated guess.

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think it’s lovely!!! Maybe see if you can talk them down a bit more and snatch it up!!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure what the stone is, but it's certainly not peridot. My guess is created emerald. It's only a good deal if you'll wear it as it is vs scrapping it, swapping the stone, etc. And if you want it, I'd offer like $145 and see what they say.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I respectfully disagree with others here that it’s too clean for an emerald. It looks moderately included to me, and while it’s almost impossible to judge emerald color from photos, the color itself is pale. Paler emeralds tend to be cleaner than deep vivid ones.

There are many emerald stimulants out there if one is concerned by that, and doublets or triplets, but if you love the ring, $200 seems a fair price. It’s not a huge risk for a purchase.

voce

Ideal_Rock
When I said too clean for a natural emerald, it was in the context of the price range the ring is going for. Obviously very lightly included emeralds exist, but would cost far more. $200 is not that much to spend on a gamble for many people, but it totally depends on one's hopes and expectations, whether or not one should take a risk.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks like emerald or maybe tsav garnet but at that price, I too would snap it up! :mrgreen2:

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not peridot would be my guess! Emerald or lab emerald would be my top picks

amoline

Shiny_Rock
I picked it up! :) it hadn't been there for long, so I was only able to haggle about 20% off the original price, but still not a bad bargain

The diamonds are real, and very very sparkly for their size - there are about .3 ctw of diamonds in the setting. I took it to the local jewelry store and the owner took a look at it and said that it seems like it's an emerald, and from the inclusions she saw it seems it's not lab created. It's not a top shelf emerald but it's very pretty and does have some nice glow to it.

Also, the gold isn't hall marked, but at the store it was testing at 18K, so that's a plus!! It's not a certain conclusion however.

In any case, it's a cool piece and I didn't have to pay a ton for it.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I picked it up! :) it hadn't been there for long, so I was only able to haggle about 20% off the original price, but still not a bad bargain

The diamonds are real, and very very sparkly for their size - there are about .3 ctw of diamonds in the setting. I took it to the local jewelry store and the owner took a look at it and said that it seems like it's an emerald, and from the inclusions she saw it seems it's not lab created. It's not a top shelf emerald but it's very pretty and does have some nice glow to it.

Also, the gold isn't hall marked, but at the store it was testing at 18K, so that's a plus!! It's not a certain conclusion however.

I would have done the very same thing! I think it's a beautiful ring!!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock

Yay!!!!:appl:

Please post more pictures of it!!!
Handshots are awesome!!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you got great deal!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Awesome! Congrats, you've got a great eye.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really lovely. Congratulations!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results