shape
carat
color
clarity

Gemstone Origin

WinterTundra

Rough_Rock
Hey, there.

Do you know how many gemstones which the origin can be determined are there? I read that gemologists can determine the origins of emerald, sapphire, aquamarine, ruby, and tanzanite. And I know to detect origins gemologists decide by looking at the inclusions. Is that all or there are other gemstones?

Thanks a lot.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Opals, pearls and peridots.

WinterTundra

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Are there specific inclusions or methods to determine their origins if nobody knows exactly where the mine they come from?

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
WinterTundra|1448124138|3952476 said:
Thanks. Are there specific inclusions or methods to determine their origins if nobody knows exactly where the mine they come from?

Yes certain inclusions can help with identification. For example the 3 phase inclusion use to be a dead ringer for Colombian Emerald. That is no longer the case since other emerald material now has this inclusion as well.

Most labs will not pin point a specific Mine. For example American Gemological Laboratories will not tell you if your Muzo mined Emerald is actually from that mine. They will only tell you that it is a Colombian Emerald.

In this case it is important to have seen a LOT of material so that one can distinguish the differences in Mines. Since this can be some what subjective most labs do not like to state the exact mine that a particular gem comes from.

In the case of Emeralds, Muzo is still easy to pin point as a consumer thankfully. Under indoor light a Colombian Emerald from the Muzo mine will almost always exhibit a blue modifier. To the point that the stone almost looks like a deep green Aquamarine. This should not be surprising since Aquamarine is in the Beryl family. Muzo has always had this blue modifier to its material. So if someone tries to sell you a Muzo Emerald and it doesn't exhibit a blue hue under indoor light I would strongly encourage you to reconsider.

This is my personal experience with Laboratories and Gem Shows.
~Justin

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Justin is correct; country of origin can be guessed at quite accurately based on certain inclusion markers but not to a specific mine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results