shape
carat
color
clarity

Gemology professional courses

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snoopy

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Does anyone know where or how I can do a course on gemology via distance? Looking for a diamond has intrigued me so much I am thinking of studying it professionally!

snoopy

Rough_Rock
Thanks!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The GIA also has extensive correspondence courses in all aspects of gemology.

The British appraoch gemmology from a very learned and scientific system. They begin with an understanding of the basics of geology and progress in an orderly way to fit gemstones into the natural order of all things. It is a thorough course and best for reasonably literate and educated students.

The GIA courses expect a bit less from their students, but find a large audience all around the world, too. The GIA really is more glitzy and modern a course with an easier testing method after each segment of study. True-false, multiple choice versus more difficult ways of giving an answer.

In the end, the results can be quite similar. I have a huge respect for FGA graduates. In order to pass, one must hit the books and learn some very difficult material. As a GIA graduate, I feel I have continued to learn over a good many years beyond the GG course of study. Time and experience are also very good teachers. Both courses of study are a lot better than not learning and just thinking you know it all.

snoopy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for info. Will get in touch with GIA and GAA to find out more about courses. Out of curiosity, is it difficult for someone to get into this industry without prior experience but just armed with the papers?? I presume it wouldn't be easy, would it?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you are a natural sales person then it is easy because you will be able to sell yourself and papers are less important.
Back room jobs require papers and experiance helps.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is not hard to get into the retail sales part of the jewelry business. It is more difficult to get into a lab or into wholesaling unless you have a "connection" or retail sales experience first. Working in retail, you can forge "connections" with suppliers or labs sometimes. You'll hear about employment opportunities once you are inside the "club".

The biggest dilemma is the truth about wages in the jewelry business. You do not do this for the big money. You really have to love the work, the jewelry and the people you meet.

Sissy77

Rough_Rock
I really really love the job as a craftman(or should i say a craftwoman since
i am a female.) is there any way i can learn how to do it? any special school?
Thanks a lot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results