shape
carat
color
clarity

Gemology Books

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've just ordered this book: Gemstones of The World Revised 5th edition. Its arriving this evening and I'm giddy with excitement :mrgreen2:

I did a little research previously and this was one of the beginner books recommended. I would have loved to have bought Richard Wise's Secrets of the Gem Trade as I've done a lot of looking into that and it seems fantastic but at this moment in time I cant really afford it. I hate having to save for real life grown up stuff :(sad

It was either get nothing until I could get that one (months down the line) or get something to tide me over until then. So I chose the latter :mrgreen2:

Anyone else doing any gemstone reading at the moment? Anyone have the book I've ordered? What do you think?

Anyone have Secrets of the Gem Trade?

Ps I wanted a book I could casually read at the end of the day to unwind, not a text book to study. But if I can get a book to unwind with and *also* use as a reference book - great!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like Jewelry and Gems The Buying Guide by Antoinette L. Maitlins and A.C. Bonanno. You can study or relax with it. The other book I grab is The Smithsonian Handbooks Gemstones by Cally Hall. Although, I posted a photo of a pad from this book (I fully referenced it, of course) and was basically told I was still wrong about padparadscha color. Nope, you just called Smithsonian wrong. Go figure.

Anyway, both have lots of photos. I have older copies, so I am not sure what would be included or edited out of the later editions. I think the older edition of the Richard Wise book is in paperback and more affordable, if you don’t want to wait.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you both! Thanks for the tip about an older version of the Richard wise one, hadn't thought to do that! The only problem is I like new things :oops: and a new copy of an old version wouldn't be "mind clean" LOL :lol:

My book arrived and I've been flicking through it this evening, it's perfect perfect perfect!

Can't wait to get to the end of it and find another book :roll2:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have the Secrets of the Gem Trade, 2nd edition. I like the book.

Also, it’s free to watch some gemstone documentaries in YouTube. I like the Gem Hunt series, although some situations are a bit exaggerated (like there are many countries where it is not necessary to change to local currency), the shows are quite entertaining.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you both! Thanks for the tip about an older version of the Richard wise one, hadn't thought to do that! The only problem is I like new things :oops: and a new copy of an old version wouldn't be "mind clean" LOL :lol:

My book arrived and I've been flicking through it this evening, it's perfect perfect perfect!

Can't wait to get to the end of it and find another book :roll2:
I personally would wait until I could buy the newest edition. It is supposed to have a lot of good additions. I just thought an older version would do if you didn’t want to wait. I keep meaning to buy this book and a nice loupe too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results