carat
color
clarity

Gemmy names for babies in trend

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://nameberry.com/blog/gem-names-for-your-little-gem

“Gem names are a hot category in baby names right now, with many of them shooting up the popularity charts. They’ve even been embraced for boys— Onyx - one of the fastest-rising boys’ names in 2018.”

They forgot “Margarita”, it also means “Pearl”.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Is "Ruby" (back) in vogue? (who could forget Kenny Rogers?:mrgreen2:):wavey:

cheers--Sharon

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite gemmy girl names:
Opal, Garnet, Beryl, Ruby, Coral, Pearl, Jade
Years ago I wanted to name my daughter Sapphire, but my ex wouldn't go for it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They forgot “Margarita”, it also means “Pearl”.

"Margarita" means "Daisy". In what language does it mean "pearl"? (I am interested not only because I love Queen Daisy of Denmark but because my daughter's name at birth was Margarita.)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Margarita" means "Daisy". In what language does it mean "pearl"? (I am interested not only because I love Queen Daisy of Denmark but because my daughter's name at birth was Margarita.)

Here. From Wiki.

“Margarita is a feminine given name in Latin and Eastern European languages, originally derived from Persian Morvared meaning 'pearl', which is cognate with the Sanskrit मञ्जरी (mañjarī) meaning 'pearl' or 'cluster of blossoms'. ... The flower daisy is called margarita in Spanish, Greek and other languages.”

Honestly, I always thought it was from Latin, but apparently, Old Persian and Sanskrit (both from Indo/Iranian group.). Cool!

ETA: just found out that Daisy (the name) originated as the nickname from “Margarita”. Now it has own life.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite gem name is Emmy. Nickname for Emma. And short for emerald. That counts as a gem name right?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
any one read Wibur Smith ?
Diamond Lil was a madam
Pearl and Ruby sound so old fashoned but i guess im behind the times
i do know a baby called Ruby and its a lovelly nane
Jade was one that used to be quite popular here
interesting about the origins of Daisy @Arkteia, i am rather fond of HM Queen Margarethe

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
any one read Wibur Smith ?
Diamond Lil was a madam
i do know a baby called Ruby and its a lovelly nane
Jade was one that used to be quite popular here
interesting about the origins of Daisy @Arkteia, i am rather fond of HM Queen Margarethe

My sister's girlfriend named her girls Ruby and Jade. They are teenagers now.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to name my daughter Garnet. But my husband and marine buddy said no gem names. According to them those are stripper names!:roll2: (hope that's an eyeroll!) I think if we end up with a second girl I am doing it anyway. I love the name way too much lol. It's just so pretty and I have always loved it.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well known jewellery designer Theo Fennell, named his daughter Emerald. She’s an actress who’s appeared in Call The Midwife.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here. From Wiki.

“Margarita is a feminine given name in Latin and Eastern European languages, originally derived from Persian Morvared meaning 'pearl', which is cognate with the Sanskrit मञ्जरी (mañjarī) meaning 'pearl' or 'cluster of blossoms'. ... The flower daisy is called margarita in Spanish, Greek and other languages.”

Honestly, I always thought it was from Latin, but apparently, Old Persian and Sanskrit (both from Indo/Iranian group.). Cool!

ETA: just found out that Daisy (the name) originated as the nickname from “Margarita”. Now it has own life.

Thank you so much, Arkteia. So it is Sanskrit via Greek: a very exciting journey for a word! I am studying several languages on a site called Duolingo, only one of them is new to me (Czech). But in September supposedly Latin will be offered. I never studied Greek or Latin and have been trying to study Latin for many years. I am hoping to start it again in September. I envy you knowing Russian. I found my first Slavic language very hard, much harder than I had found German, and I was not even dealing with a different alphabet as I would have been with Russian.

Deb :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS-My sister-in-law, who was born in Genoa, Italy prior to World War II, is named Perla.

Deb/AGBF

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughters best friend just named her little girl, Ruby Mae. She is the cutest little thing.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grew up with an Opal and a Jade, and my daughter goes to school with several Rubies. I wonder what people thought of the names back when they were first popular? Like, did they evoke mental images of corseted and fringe-clad busty ladies in saloons? (Someone brought up stripper names so it made me wonder.)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grew up with an Opal and a Jade, and my daughter goes to school with several Rubies. I wonder what people thought of the names back when they were first popular? Like, did they evoke mental images of corseted and fringe-clad busty ladies in saloons? (Someone brought up stripper names so it made me wonder.)

I don't know, but until I read your posting I had forgotten that the mother-in-law of my high school history teacher, who later became my supervisor, was named Ruby. She was from a very old New England family and I am sure was extremely proper. My teacher/supervisor certainly was. Among the faculty at the school where I was taught she was known as "Lady" Elaine (Elaine being her first name). ;))

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby’s been in for so long that it’s going back out again.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock

Beats me why they think that lol. I personally think gem names are very pretty. Which is why if we end up with a second girl I'm naming her Garnet anyway. I had a great grandmother with a gem name so to me it's lovely and normal.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much, Arkteia. So it is Sanskrit via Greek: a very exciting journey for a word! I am studying several languages on a site called Duolingo, only one of them is new to me (Czech). But in September supposedly Latin will be offered. I never studied Greek or Latin and have been trying to study Latin for many years. I am hoping to start it again in September. I envy you knowing Russian. I found my first Slavic language very hard, much harder than I had found German, and I was not even dealing with a different alphabet as I would have been with Russian.

Deb :wavey:

Thank you, @AGBF!

I admire your love of knowledge. Ancient Greek is very difficult. Duolingo is wonderful.

I studied English, French and German, and find German the most difficult of the three. Just because prefixes may totally change the meaning of the word.

I once read that there were fewer cases of dyslexia in Slavic languages (as we have very few digraphs).

If I had the time, I’d study Spanish. I feel bad when I travel to Mexico, they understand us but we have very limited knowledge of Spanish.

And if I really had the time, I’d study Korean. :)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to name my daughter Garnet. But my husband and marine buddy said no gem names. According to them those are stripper names!:roll2: (hope that's an eyeroll!) I think if we end up with a second girl I am doing it anyway. I love the name way too much lol. It's just so pretty and I have always loved it.

Garnet is a great name.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another beautiful name - Agatha.

I also found out that there is the surname Spinella. I wonder if it could be used as the first name; or is Spinelle better?

And can you imagine the name - Sapphire Violet? Or Violet Sapphire?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What age are you?

Name trends usually go in cycles, so names our grandparents and parents had sound old-fashioned and uncool, but names our great-grandparents had sound fresh.

My husband said once every name that ends in an "eeeee" sound (so like -ie or -y) is a stripper name. My name ends in that so I asked him if he thought my name was a stripper name. He got a very deer-in-the-headlights look as he realized he could either say "yes" which would be bad or say "no" which would invalidated his just-made argument.

But in September supposedly Latin will be offered. I never studied Greek or Latin and have been trying to study Latin for many years. I am hoping to start it again in September.

If you need any help with Latin, let me know! I have taken many years of it and while I'm not the best, I'm no slouch either. I'd honestly recommend learning from a book rather than Duolingo, as I find it a lot easier to just memorize the charts and go than to use Duolingo's "natural learning" kind of thing. It's pretty easy as long as you understand grammar. I have taken Ancient Greek as well but I found it very frustrating and difficult, and only took a year before the classes stopped getting enough students to make.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you need any help with Latin, let me know! I have taken many years of it and while I'm not the best, I'm no slouch either. I'd honestly recommend learning from a book rather than Duolingo, as I find it a lot easier to just memorize the charts and go than to use Duolingo's "natural learning" kind of thing. It's pretty easy as long as you understand grammar. I have taken Ancient Greek as well but I found it very frustrating and difficult, and only took a year before the classes stopped getting enough students to make.

Thank you very much, distracts. I am sure that I will need help; whether it will be help I can receive from another person is another matter!

My daughter was down at our house in Virginia visiting her father last month. When she returned to Connecticut she brought me a book I had used many years ago and kept in our library there. It is called Lingua Latina (as I have found many Latin texts are); this one is by Hans H. Oerberg.

I never really got a chance to use it. When I was teaching high school history, this book was used by the seventh grade, which is when Latin was taught. I had, hopefully, joined the seventh grade Latin class but got pulled out by the administration when the French teacher had to take medical leave and I was asked to take over her elementary French classes.

I never used the book without the stimulus of belonging to a class or taking an on-line class, but I do understand your point about memorizing charts versus "natural learning". I am having trouble learning Czech using only Duolingo. I often supplement Duolingo with printouts from the 'net and have bought one book called Czech An Essential Grammar by James Naughton. I knew the book would not be a standard grammar or a work book; it is an overview of the language. So it doesn't help me learn everyday Czech. I am just muddling along. :))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results