shape
carat
color
clarity

gemappraisers.com - class 1B cut...good?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bools

Rough_Rock
I've been messing around with the cut advisor at www.gemappraisers.com and found that a diamond I like is in the class 1B (everything else is a 1A except for the crown angle which is a 1B).

From reading the sight, it seems like all 1A and 1B are considered "ideal" stones.

Will this stone have fire and beauty? It's an AGS ideal stone.

I think that to a regular customer such as myself this stone will still be WAAAAAAY better than anything i'd see at the mall or on the finger's of others. It is still considered an 'ideal' cut and carries the weight of an AGS0 classification.

It's very hard to find good stones in my area (and when you do it costs an arm and a leg) and I've had my jeweller looking for a while now to no avail - I've even looked at a couple of stores myself and get the same thing, a class 1B. I like B&M stores and don't want to shop online.

BTW, i'm getting a SMOKING GOOD deal on this stone!!

Please advise.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes 1B is still considered very good..1A or 1B are cream of the crop. Esp since you note that all but crown angle is 1A..that's even better than all 1B characteristics
1.gif
Best of luck with your final decision!

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Oh?
I thought that only one 1B characteristic and all the other characteristics 1A were enough to say that the diamond is 1A?
Did I misunderstand something?

bools

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 7/21/2003 12:23:20 PM Stephan wrote:

Oh?
I thought that only one 1B characteristic and all the other characteristics 1A were enough to say that the diamond is 1A?
Did I misunderstand something?
----------------

I know your confusion. I've been doing A LOT of research on here with regards to what is considered a good stone.

AFAIK, I think that even though most of the other factors are graded as 1A, even 1B factor can cause the diamond to be a total 1B. I don't really know - just speculation.

Anyways, I think that since others have stated that even 1B is 'cream of the crop' it's probably a good stone, especially at the great price i've negotiated.

Once again, Mara, I really want to thank you for all the time and effort you've put into replying to my posts. I know that i've had a lot of questions, but I was trying to avoid the whole 'hind sight is 20/20' scenario after purchasing the diamond.

So, final consenus....1B is good right? At an insane price i'd be crazy not to pick it up right?

I'm all smiles
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
This is what I found on www.gemappraisers.com

AGA Rules For Determining "Overall" Cut Grade.
1A grade:
All characteristics are best when 1A, but may include a single 1B characteristic. You pay a premium for this cut and you should insist on getting exactly what you are paying for.

11.gif

bools

Rough_Rock
Whoops...the girdle on my stone was also not a 1A. This is probably why it was graded a 1B.

Regardless, the doesn't really stress me out all that much. The girdle on my stone is "thin to medium" which is fine. This is actually the girdle I'd prefer as it isn't too thin and not extremely prone to chipping and it's not too thick to 'waste' carat weight.

So all other factors were 1A with the exception of the crown angle which was a 1B and the girdle.

Still good!

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Dear Bools, tell us more!
What's the crown angle, pav depth and table % ?
Is the stone certed?

bools

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 7/21/2003 1:46:57 PM Stephan wrote:

Dear Bools, tell us more!
What's the crown angle, pav depth and table % ?
Is the stone certed?
----------------

Ha ha stephan...this is like a soap opera.

What I don't understand though is how gemappraisers calculates the total depth.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Tell us more and we will show you how to calculate the total depth of your diamond.
wink2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results