shape
carat
color
clarity

Gem schools in bangkok!Urgent advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jeremiebkk

Rough_Rock
Hi
I'm about to enroll in a gem school in Bankok,Thailand.There's a GIA in town and I was about to take a coloured stones course there.My friends in Europe advice me to do that too.Altough,another taiwanese friend,graduated in the States from GIA,reckons the Asian Institue of Gemological Studies(AIGS) is better for coloured stones and more recognized in Asia.He does a lot of business in the region so he should know and I'm confused.The AIGS course is substantially cheaper and their curriculum is such that if I enroll it I would do a GG.Diamond studies thereb is pretty short though.Anybody knows about the education level in both those campuses??Is the AIGS recognised in Europe or the States??Any links to websites wich could be helpful!!
I have to make up my mind within 10 days...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You could do GAGB correspondence which is well recognized everywhere and teaches you far more about not getting ripped off with treated gems than GIA, but far less about salesmanship than GIA.
I do not know about the Asian course - but I expect it would also have a lot more science. The GIA is hampered by the poor standard of education that is taught to secondary school students- so they pitch a rather shallow course.

jeremiebkk

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the answer,i'm willing to do a course on campus-and go back to Europe after it's settled.About the treated stones part that's what this asian friend warned me against.He reckons AIGS,wich is located in a 35+ storeys tower entirely devoted to the gem business,would teach more up to date information than GIA.Is GIA subpar on this topic??I'm planning to buy in producing countries so I'd better be well prepared to deal with treated stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results