shape
carat
color
clarity

Gem quality, natural white Akoya pearl necklace from Moline Pearls- should I keep?

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone (especially @yssie!),

I just received from Andrew Moline of Moline Pearls this 18" pearl necklace comprised of gem quality, natural white, 7.0-7.5mm Japanese Akoyas. He happened to have what I was looking for in stock and was extremely patient and pleasant to work with. I would love your feedback on whether to keep these. I must admit that I am already swooning! The skins are clean, the pearls are well matched and the luster is phenomenal. I love the soapy pink, blue and even lilac iridescence I am seeing at the edges of the pearls in bright sunlight.

I was mildly concerned that maybe I should go up in pearl size (7.5-8.0mm or 8.0-8.5 mm) as I'm in my mid 40's and want to be satisfied with this strand (e.g. don't feel the need to upgrade) through my senior years! However, the price jump from the 7.0-7.5mm would be about 2x and 3x, respectively. And I'd have to wait til he found pearls in this size. Fortunately, after trying on this strand, I feel the 7.0-7.5mm size looks nicely proportional to my petite 5'3" frame. Or do you think I should go bigger?

Finally, what do you think of the quality of the pearls? Unfortunately I don't have another strand on hand to compare to. But knowing Moline Pearls' reputation I am not feeling highly motivated to order in strands from other vendors like Pearl Paradise. Pricing is about 10% lower in price than Pearl Paradise's 18" 7.0-7.5mm Hanadama necklace.

IMG-7070 (1).jpg IMG-7076.jpg IMG-7077.jpg

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pearls are very beautiful with appreciable lustre and iridescence -- I also love the size of the pearls and the length of the necklace on you -- if it works with your style and fits your preference and budget, I definitely think it is a special strand worth keeping. It seems to glow in your photos!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I think they look stunning on you.

Re: size, are you able to buy some cheap white (“pearl”) beads in different sizes to see what works best for you? Many years ago I recall letting a petite friend try on my pearls which looked ridiculously big on her. They were probably 8-9mm (? Can’t quite remember) but what looked tiny on me (5’7) was too big for her (around 5’1). So you may never want to go bigger in that sense.

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
I think they look stunning on you.

Re: size, are you able to buy some cheap white (“pearl”) beads in different sizes to see what works best for you? Many years ago I recall letting a petite friend try on my pearls which looked ridiculously big on her. They were probably 8-9mm (? Can’t quite remember) but what looked tiny on me (5’7) was too big for her (around 5’1). So you may never want to go bigger in that sense.

That’s helpful advice! With diamonds I feel like bigger is always better, but I think with pearls that may not be the case depending on one’s height and frame. Also I think I favor spending more budget on quality (luster, smoothness of skins, roundness, matching) than size of pearls.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have discovered just like diamonds pearl shrinkage is a thing
But that strand is so beautiful
Does it really matter if in 10 years time you buy a 2nd strand ?
The most important thing is you love these ones right now
All you have to do is wear them!

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ou, so pretty! I think the pearls suit your skintone very well! I think they already look large enough; presence but still wearable. I don't think you'll ever need to go up in size. Going down in size would look too young later on, but these are really honestly perfect for your frame, really classic.

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
The pearls are gorgeous and the size looks great on you!

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
The pearls are very beautiful with appreciable lustre and iridescence -- I also love the size of the pearls and the length of the necklace on you -- if it works with your style and fits your preference and budget, I definitely think it is a special strand worth keeping. It seems to glow in your photos!

Thank you! These pearls DO glow!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also if you decide later to go larger you could consider getting a bracelet length of 8.5mm and making a “bubble” style necklace and using the extra smaller ones to make a matching bracelet. The match won’t be as perfect but if it doesn’t bother you I’ve found it to be a fun way to wear pearls.

Here’s an example of what I mean (minus the middle accent pearl)

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
Also if you decide later to go larger you could consider getting a bracelet length of 8.5mm and making a “bubble” style necklace and using the extra smaller ones to make a matching bracelet. The match won’t be as perfect but if it doesn’t bother you I’ve found it to be a fun way to wear pearls.

Here’s an example of what I mean (minus the middle accent pearl)
8FEA93CA-C4C9-40AD-872B-1ECC8605D215.jpeg

@MakingTheGrade oooh that is a fabulous idea- I would have never thought of doing something like that- incorporating larger pearls from a bracelet length into a necklace strand. But why not? I love your necklace on you!

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
I have discovered just like diamonds pearl shrinkage is a thing
But that strand is so beautiful
Does it really matter if in 10 years time you buy a 2nd strand ?
The most important thing is you love these ones right now
All you have to do is wear them!

I'm glad you're letting me know Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome is a real thing haha! But you're right, if I enjoy this 7.0-7.5mm strand for say 10 years, that's a pretty darn good run.

Sooooo, it turns out Andrew has TWO of these 18" necklaces right now. It also occurred to me today that if I REALLY wanted to, I could buy both of them. I am hyperventilating just thinking about it. The necklaces have the kind of oval clasp that allows you to join another strand to it. So I could make a 36" long strand OR wear the two necklaces as a double strand. I think I'd be likelier to wear a double strand if I wanted a dressier effect or wanted more presence, rather than wearing a strand of larger pearls. Oh my gosh, I can't believe I am even thinking two strands. But the fact that they are all matched. Any thoughts on this idea?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you're letting me know Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome is a real thing haha! But you're right, if I enjoy this 7.0-7.5mm strand for say 10 years, that's a pretty darn good run.

Sooooo, it turns out Andrew has TWO of these 18" necklaces right now. It also occurred to me today that if I REALLY wanted to, I could buy both of them. I am hyperventilating just thinking about it. The necklaces have the kind of oval clasp that allows you to join another strand to it. So I could make a 36" long strand OR wear the two necklaces as a double strand. I think I'd be likelier to wear a double strand if I wanted a dressier effect or wanted more presence, rather than wearing a strand of larger pearls. Oh my gosh, I can't believe I am even thinking two strands. But the fact that they are all matched. Any thoughts on this idea?

Do it !
I love those long strands and a double strand is so classic

Ann

Brilliant_Rock

I love the idea of doubling a long strand or wearing 2 stands together. Either way, it would be beautiful.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s beautiful on you @Gemstonesrock!! :love: The pearls look really lovely and glowy, and it’s a great size on you. You’re petite - IMO these pearls make a statement on you. Definitely not overly delicate or dainty or “childlike”. But you could also wear larger pearls if you wanted.

Matching pearls can be a challenge! How matched are the two strands? Does he happen to have any older photos of them together - or perhaps you can confirm the other is returnable? My concern with this is that the rope will be an occasional-wear sort of thing - if you’re spending double you could probably jump to the next size in a single strand, which you would likely get more wear from.

The thing about joining two strands as-is occasionally to make a rope is that each strand is graduated - 7mm at the ends to 7.5mm in the middle. So if you join two together, you get an odd graduation:
7mm->7.5mm->7mm->7.5mm->7mm. And since the clasps are equidistant there’s no way to hide them both unless you always double up (no rope) - either one clasp is front and center or both are clearly visible at both collarbones. So I’m not really a huge fan of occasionally joining two classic strands. Unless you plan to always double them up!

I personally think you could save the extra you’d spend on either another strand or going larger, and get some earrings, or a bracelet, or both... :Up_to_something:

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Sooooo, it turns out Andrew has TWO of these 18" necklaces right now. It also occurred to me today that if I REALLY wanted to, I could buy both of them. I am hyperventilating just thinking about it. The necklaces have the kind of oval clasp that allows you to join another strand to it. So I could make a 36" long strand OR wear the two necklaces as a double strand.

If you want to wear them as a double strand, they need to sit and nest nicely.

Actually if you can afford two strands, why not just get a bigger one upfront so that you remove the size concern? It’s sort of future proofing as well.

Plus… you sound like you have some doubts. If the strand gives you doubt, or doesn’t make your heart sing, don’t buy it. It probably means that you like it a lot but it’s not “true love”. In the long run, it’s always been those items that gave me heart palpitations that lasted the test of time.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it’s beautiful on you @Gemstonesrock!! :love: The pearls look really lovely and glowy, and it’s a great size on you. You’re petite - IMO these pearls make a statement on you. Definitely not overly delicate or dainty or “childlike”. But you could also wear larger pearls if you wanted.

Matching pearls can be a challenge! How matched are the two strands? Does he happen to have any older photos of them together - or perhaps you can confirm the other is returnable? My concern with this is that the rope will be an occasional-wear sort of thing - if you’re spending double you could probably jump to the next size in a single strand, which you would likely get more wear from.

The thing about joining two strands as-is occasionally to make a rope is that each strand is graduated - 7mm at the ends to 7.5mm in the middle. So if you join two together, you get an odd graduation:
7mm->7.5mm->7mm->7.5mm->7mm. And since the clasps are equidistant there’s no way to hide them both unless you always double up (no rope) - either one clasp is front and center or both are clearly visible at both collarbones. So I’m not really a huge fan of occasionally joining two classic strands. Unless you plan to always double them up!

I personally think you could save the extra you’d spend on either another strand or going larger, and get some earrings, or a bracelet, or both... :Up_to_something:

Your so wise Yssie

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I think they lare beautiful pearls that ook gorgeous on you and are a delightful size. But only you know what you want/like/are hoping to achieve with them, so only you know if they fit your dream necklace or not. Listen to what your heart says.

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock

@yssie thank you for the thoughtful reply-l did not think about the graduation of the pearls towards the clasp. Look like I have some serious thinking to do!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
They look amazing! I think the size is a very good fit for you

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all the feedback, everyone! I have decided to stay focused and purchase this one gorgeous 7.0-7.5mm natural white, gem quality Akoya necklace. Though I do believe I could wear larger pearls closer to 8mm in size, I decided that this strand works very nicely with my frame, has all the attributes I was looking for (natural white color, extreme luster, presence of orient, smooth skins, excellent matching) AND the price falls just within the max budget I set for myself. Going up to 8mm would be almost double the price and I think it's better that, as @yssie suggested, I put the extra funds towards a pearl bracelet and stud earrings.

I'm attaching photos that show me wearing this necklace with two typical summer dresses - these pics show the necklace's proportion to my frame better. Thank you again for the help!!!

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 4.53.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 4.53.52 PM.png

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
congratulations! Clearly they are very beautiful and look lovely on you.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This single strand is really lovely on you @Gemstonesrock. Glamorous and classic and so flattering. I’m so glad you’re keeping it. Thank you for sharing those perspective pictures! And they make me even more confident that you’re making the absolute best decision :love:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert but they are lovely and a perfect size to my eye.

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
One more vote for keeping! From the original picture I thought the size was great on you and seeing the full length perspective shot makes me certain. Enjoy them, they are gorgeous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results