shape
carat
color
clarity

Gem horror stories

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Do you have any to share? Stones falling off, breaking, chipping, scratching...? Call me crazy, but I''m curious
9.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I have one and it is my own stupid fault
14.gif

I was putting one of my beautiful Padparadscha Sapphire pendants on OVER the bathroom sink (of all places) and I dropped it. It hit the sink and chipped the small corner of the sapphire.
29.gif
I was so upset.

No one can see it when it is around my neck, but I know it is there. That will teach me to never do that again.
23.gif

Linda

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH I am so sorry that happened Linda!!!
8.gif

I went to a gem and jewelry show and bought a pretty tanzanite (knowing how soft that they are...
14.gif
and had it set into a ring. ( I have a ring fetish) Because I got my new sparkly, I just had to wear it to work the next day. I was reaching into a file cabinet and the ring caught onto a lip in the cabinet and I sheered the top of the stone off.. I was bummed.....but at least I didn''t pay too much for the stone. Tanzanites are so gorgeous but very brittle. I will never wear a tanzanite as a ring again. Tough lesson learned...
20.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG CC, that is terrible!!!!!!!!! I know they are such soft stones.

I have a gorgeous tanzanite ring that I hardly ever wear. We bought the stone in Mexico, in 2004. It is the beautiful deep color with the red flashes. DH and I had it set here. The jeweler scraped the top of it and refused to do anything about it. We raised holey heck with him. He then shipped it out and had it fixed. It is now beautiful.

I only wear it out to dinner and guard my hand. I never should have bought it because I am afraid to wear it, for fear of ruining it.

DH also bought me a pair of tanzanite earrings in Mexico and I wear those, but no worries there. They aren''t as deep colored as my ring.

Linda

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 2:08:14 PM
Author: Linda W

I have a gorgeous tanzanite ring that I hardly ever wear. We bought the stone in Mexico, in 2004. It is the beautiful deep color with the red flashes. DH and I had it set here. The jeweler scraped the top of it and refused to do anything about it. We raised holey heck with him. He then shipped it out and had it fixed. It is now beautiful.

I only wear it out to dinner and guard my hand. I never should have bought it because I am afraid to wear it, for fear of ruining it.

DH also bought me a pair of tanzanite earrings in Mexico and I wear those, but no worries there. They aren''t as deep colored as my ring.

Linda
Besides, if you smash your head hard enough to hurt them, you''ll have bigger problems....

9.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 2:18:45 PM
Author: geckodani
Date: 8/13/2008 2:08:14 PM

Linda

Besides, if you smash your head hard enough to hurt them, you''ll have bigger problems....

9.gif

ha ha ha ha ha. Yea, I imagine so, ha ha ha ha ha

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 12:33:56 PM
Author:ma re
Do you have any to share? Stones falling off, breaking, chipping, scratching...? Call me crazy, but I''m curious
9.gif
As a matter of fact, I''ve a mini "horror story" going on right now. I have a yellow sapphire that just got finished being set into a ring last night. I got a call from the jeweler this morning - the color has completely disappeared! They said it looks like a white sapphire now instead of yellow. I had no idea such a thing could happen! I thought it was untreated, but I can''t remember for certain. I''ve sent the sapphire place an e-mail. We''ll see how everything pans out. Luckily it wasn''t a huge emotional purchase, like an e-ring, so while I''m a little bummed, it certainly isnt'' the end of the world. And who knows, I may love it as is! It just won''t be yellow.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
ACK
23.gif
OMG PT, that is terrible. I am so sorry.

Linda

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 2:59:43 PM
ACK
23.gif

Linda
Well, I guess you learn something new every day! The sapphire place responded immediately and it certainly sounds hopeful. They said this sometimes happens when too much heat is applied to yellow sapphires, but all is not lost. With exposure to uv light (black light, or sunlight), the color should return (one of the more mysterious properties of yellow sapphires). They are standing behind their product and are doing everything they can to be helpful. Yay for good customer service! They were great when everything was going smoothly, and now that I hit a little "bump," long after the initial purchase, they''re still being great.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I took a blue topaz to a jeweler (first loose stone I purchased and set) and not only did he break the stone while setting it, but he replaced the stone without asking me - however, he replaced a concave cut with a traditional cut, so as you can imagine, I had a pretty shocked response when I went to pick up the pendant. Needless to say it was a bit of a mess, but the jeweler did do right by me in the end. Otherwise, pretty good luck :)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 3:15:31 PM
Author: parrot tulips

ACK
23.gif

Linda
Well, I guess you learn something new every day! The sapphire place responded immediately and it certainly sounds hopeful. They said this sometimes happens when too much heat is applied to yellow sapphires, but all is not lost. With exposure to uv light (black light, or sunlight), the color should return (one of the more mysterious properties of yellow sapphires). They are standing behind their product and are doing everything they can to be helpful. Yay for good customer service! They were great when everything was going smoothly, and now that I hit a little ''bump,'' long after the initial purchase, they''re still being great.
Wow - how odd/interesting. I''m glad they got back to you about it though!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was told by Steven Bliss of the Natural Sapphire Company that unheated stones, do indeed tend to fade over time.

He said to put them in direct sunlight and the color comes back. I wear mine out in the sun and the color does look deeper.

Elmorton, I remember your story and I am glad it turned out well.

Linda

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 3:17:24 PM
Author: Elmorton
I took a blue topaz to a jeweler (first loose stone I purchased and set) and not only did he break the stone while setting it, but he replaced the stone without asking me - however, he replaced a concave cut with a traditional cut, so as you can imagine, I had a pretty shocked response when I went to pick up the pendant. Needless to say it was a bit of a mess, but the jeweler did do right by me in the end. Otherwise, pretty good luck :)
What, was he expecting you not to notice???

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I chipped the top off an apatite in my gem collection by closing the lid of the gem jar too hard (squished it against an amethyst).

I wear gemstone rings almost everyday, and somehow I''ve actually cracked my diamond, but all my gems are fine!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ACK
23.gif

Linda
Well, I guess you learn something new every day! The sapphire place responded immediately and it certainly sounds hopeful. They said this sometimes happens when too much heat is applied to yellow sapphires, but all is not lost. With exposure to uv light (black light, or sunlight), the color should return (one of the more mysterious properties of yellow sapphires). They are standing behind their product and are doing everything they can to be helpful. Yay for good customer service! They were great when everything was going smoothly, and now that I hit a little ''bump,'' long after the initial purchase, they''re still being great.

I will keep that in mind if ever I buy a yellow sapphire. I hope you post a pic of it when it is finished. it will be interesting to see. I wonder how long you would have to keep it under sunlight/ or uvlight??? It is the opposite for a kunzite though... There is so much to learn about gemstones!!! My head is swimming!
19.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
CC, not very long. I usually leave mine on the windowsill for the day, the color pops right back. This is only, if I haven''t worn a piece for a long time. The color is stabilized, I just do it for a touch of color.

Linda

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2008 4:03:17 PM
CC, not very long. I usually leave mine on the windowsill for the day, the color pops right back. This is only, if I haven''t worn a piece for a long time. The color is stabilized, I just do it for a touch of color.

Linda

I have to admit.. .that is really nifty. It is like a gemstone mood ring!!! LOL! I almost want to go any buy a yellow sapphire just to test it out!!
31.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear not sure where to start without boring you all!
face24.gif

I''ve got a 1.5ct (enhanced) blue heart shaped diamond. During setting the jeweller chipped the edge! Luckily, the setting actually hides it but ..........
emangry.gif

The worse incident that''s happened to me was I bought a Paraiba Tourmaline 1.9ct trilliant cut already set into a white gold pendant. I didn''t particularly like the pendant and decided to have a ring made instead. On the recommendation of a "friend" and I use that term loosely(!) I sent the pendant and my design ideas to a jeweller 200 miles away. Without wanting to send you to sleep, it took 6 months to eventually get the "creation" and there really is no other word for it, back! This is the masterpiece (not) that came back!

I didn''t know whether to laugh or cry when I opened the package. Needless to say, I''ve had it re-set by a professional jeweller and the end result is much better but curiously I think this is an unlucky stone because each time I wear it something bad happens. I think this was one gemstone that wasn''t supposed to be mine!
20.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 7:52:17 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
face24.gif

I''ve got a 1.5ct (enhanced) blue heart shaped diamond. During setting the jeweller chipped the edge! Luckily, the setting actually hides it but ..........
emangry.gif

The worse incident that''s happened to me was I bought a Paraiba Tourmaline 1.9ct trilliant cut already set into a white gold pendant. I didn''t particularly like the pendant and decided to have a ring made instead. On the recommendation of a ''friend'' and I use that term loosely(!) I sent the pendant and my design ideas to a jeweller 200 miles away. Without wanting to send you to sleep, it took 6 months to eventually get the ''creation'' and there really is no other word for it, back! This is the masterpiece (not) that came back!

I didn''t know whether to laugh or cry when I opened the package. Needless to say, I''ve had it re-set by a professional jeweller and the end result is much better but curiously I think this is an unlucky stone because each time I wear it something bad happens. I think this was one gemstone that wasn''t supposed to be mine!
20.gif
Do you have an *after* picture??

LS

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''m guessing you''re all taking about center stones, therefore bigger ones - I heard newbies are best off starting with something small, since those are harder to damage. Any truth to that?

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2008 8:28:49 PM
Author: LostSapphire

face24.gif

emangry.gif

The worse incident that''s happened to me was I bought a Paraiba Tourmaline 1.9ct trilliant cut already set into a white gold pendant. I didn''t particularly like the pendant and decided to have a ring made instead. On the recommendation of a ''friend'' and I use that term loosely(!) I sent the pendant and my design ideas to a jeweller 200 miles away. Without wanting to send you to sleep, it took 6 months to eventually get the ''creation'' and there really is no other word for it, back! This is the masterpiece (not) that came back!

20.gif
Do you have an *after* picture??

LS

That is what I was thinking! We need to see an after picture!
1.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
face24.gif

emangry.gif

20.gif
That ring wears some serious shoulder pads!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn''t think of including an "after" picture! In all honesty I had fallen out of love with the gemstone by the time it was re-set so I just opted for something very simple.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
LD, that is a beautiful ring. Love the color of the stone.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pretty little ring with two green tourmalines and a tanzanite. They''re fairly well protected by the setting, and the tanzanite is fine, but somehow I managed to whack a chunk out of one of the tourmalines.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 6:48:50 PM
Didn''t think of including an ''after'' picture! In all honesty I had fallen out of love with the gemstone by the time it was re-set so I just opted for something very simple.
Ohhhh, that is sooo pretty!!! Please don''t be out of love with it - it''s not the poor little gemstone''s fault - it''s beautiful!

I just love it in that yellow gold.

I hope you wear it.. if not, I will - I love it!
31.gif

x x x

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

ACK
23.gif

Linda
Parrot tulips, whatever happened with your ring? Did you keep it? Has the color returned? Inquiring minds want to know!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a deep green Muzo Columbian emerald around 3 carats that I decided to have set. Well I opted for platinum, and after a while the stone got a huge chip and crack on the side. The gemologist appraiser that I went to stated it was from setting it in platinum because emeralds are brittle and full of internal cracks. That was a real bummer. You can't see the crack looking at the table, but it is noticable looking at it from the side.

I also managed to chip the heck out of an indicolite tourmaline I have, and I'm very careful.

My mother is especially hard on jewelry and no one in their right mind should give her any rings!! She not only cracked a baguette in her wedding ring, but her diamond has two humongous chips in it. Now if you can do that to diamonds, OMG!!

Tanzanite is really soft and there are tons of horror stories about it being worn in rings. It should probably be only worn in pendants and earrings, and rings only on special occassions. I saw a picture of a tanzanite that was so damaged, it looked like a cabachon, when it really started out in life as a faceted stone. It looked like my mom owned that stone (LOL!!).

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used a diamond holder on my red spinel and nicked a crown facet.
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results