shape
carat
color
clarity

Gem/crystal healing: do you believe in it at all?

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
I took the day off today, and I was just looking up "Sodalight", and I came upon this site called gemstonetherapy.com. They have lots of info on Sodalight and other gems as well, but it mostly 'metaphysical' type info about how gems and crystals can improve your life, heal you , give you more energy, etc.

Here's one thing they mentioned about Sodalight when worn with metal jewelry:

Sodalight and Metal

Sodalight strengthens all the energy flows in your body. Wearing base metals, such as those often used in jewelry, can cut off or inhibit these flows. Therefore, when wearing Sodalight and jewelry at the same time, some people may experience pain in their fingers and wrists. If this happens, simply remove your rings, bracelets, and wristwatches while you are wearing Sodalight. Some people may also need to remove their eyeglasses to allow the body's energy flows to move more freely about the face. Although gold, silver, and copper are less apt to have this effect, it is good to be aware of any possible conflicts.

Yep, you certainly dont want to inhibit the body's "energy flows" do you!?! Better not wear any gold or platinum with your Sodalight spheres(spheres are supposedly a more "efficient" shape for healing with Sodalight!)

But I gotta tell you, when you read all the stuff that Sodalight will do for you and your "vitality", who needs a Red Bull!

But I discovered some really good news for everyone on the above listed site. It seems that most gems only focus on improving one aspect of our "being", however, there are other gems that are great for "Multidimensional healing!" Whats even better, is that most of these multi-purpose gems are also the cheaper ones to purchase! You dont have to worry about needing to come up with $100,000 for a red or pink diamond for Multidimensional healing, all you gotta do is spend a few bucks on some clear quartz, or some Citrine! Wow, effective and inexpensive! What more can you ask for?

**Note: I wonder what ailments red and pink diamonds cure. Oh yeah, that question is for the diamond forum.... They probably cure gout or something...

So, I used to be friends with a few hippies/Dead heads when I was younger, and a few of them seemed to buy into the crystal healing stuff. They would keep some quartz and calcite crystals around here and there. I always liked crystals and gems, so I liked looking at them, but I didnt "feel" any better while being around them. Although it does make me feel good to look at nice gems, so thats something.......

What do you think?

Although I have been sarcastic above^, I believe in "to each his or her own", so I think people should be able to believe in whatever they want, and I'm not going to judge anyone for it(except for Scientologists, that is...just kidding Tom Cruise) :tongue:

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think it is all bunk.

I do know that quarried quartz can make you see red as you cut yourself on it and bleed everywhere. Big rubies and sapphires give you backaches as you carry them around. There is a 300 pound one in Ruby City's museum that I am sure will cause a hernia just thinking about trying to lift it. I know that iron pyrite keeps cats away and makes your toe ache. We have a 10lb single chunk that holds the mat down to keep the cats from scratching the carpet. If you forget about it and kick it, OW! And kunzite can add harmony and reduce or increase stress. If you try to make gems with it, it increases stress. If you take the pieces that sheared off cutting it, they make great shims for wobbly tables making it less stressful.

:lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only mental/physical effect gems have on me is when I get all giddy and excited after looking at them. :bigsmile:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
George,
I love your post. :lol: Great sense of humour.

TL,
What about the hunger pangs when living off ramen noodles in order to afford those gems?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is always interesting to read about healing power of stones. I do not seriously believe in it, and yet we all are superstitious, so I wear my red ruby non-stop (it is supposed to help with everything). And I have a piece of Maw-Maw-Sit-Sit which had been "blessed" by a Buddhist monk so I keep it close to me. Whatever we believe in, helps, if it is only a placebo effect.

Chrono, perhaps ramen noodles help? Chicken soup does... :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1339726271|3216625 said:
George,
TL,
What about the hunger pangs when living off ramen noodles in order to afford those gems?

Gems help you lose weight because you can't afford food! :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so impressed with George's firsthand experience with the mystical healing and power of gems.

I believe that he has some additional experience with the romantic stones - I can't remember now what it was, but I bet marital appreciation and bliss increased in George's life after the magic stone was presented in the ring to his wife. George, what was the harmonizing bliss builder stone again?

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1339729061|3216658 said:
I am so impressed with George's firsthand experience with the mystical healing and power of gems.

I believe that he has some additional experience with the romantic stones - I can't remember now what it was, but I bet marital appreciation and bliss increased in George's life after the magic stone was presented in the ring to his wife. George, what was the harmonizing bliss builder stone again?
And while she picked it out and had worn it a few times, it was officially presented at Kula Lodge, Kula, Maui, HI in the restaurant at sunset. 1.02ct Princess D, VS with 2cts+ tw stones in the wed band and engagement ring. :bigsmile:

http://www.kulalodge.com

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait, that's awesome, but you've been married for a while, haven't you? That diamond would certainly bring some marital bliss for sure, but I was thinking of the one Jason showed off on your behalf that you cut yourself, if I recall correctly.

Oh, and not too shabby a place to propose, BTW :bigsmile:

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
:oops: Oh, the tourmaline ring. She wears it almost every day.

beau-wy

Rough_Rock
Trade
I don't believe in specific healing powers of specific mineral varieties - that is marketing by people who sell crystals and tumbled stones. However, similar to a fishtank or patting dogs or cats, I believe having a passion that brings joy increases well-being and decreases stress - these are demonstrable benefits which can be measured scientifically by looking at blood pressure, cortisol levels and other metabolic indicators. I believe these are the same reasons that laughter has demonstrable positive health benefits.

Joy is good for us, physically as well as emotionally. My passion for colored gems brings me joy, happiness and contentment. In that sense, gems do have healing properties. I am at my healthiest, when I am sitting at a table covered with gems in the warm afternoon sunshine with a like-minded friend, mutually admiring one beautiful stone after another.

The dark chocolate and red wine are for the resveratrol and antioxidants. It's practically a karmic workout.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
beau-wy|1339767234|3216861 said:
I am at my healthiest, when I am sitting at a table covered with gems in the warm afternoon sunshine with a like-minded friend, mutually admiring one beautiful stone after another.

The dark chocolate and red wine are for the resveratrol and antioxidants. It's practically a karmic workout.

Okay, what afternoon should we come over? :cheeky:

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
When I was about 10 I was staying the night at a friend's house, and her mom was really into crystal healing. The friend sprained her ankle so her mom handed her a giant crystal to put on it. I think an ace bandage might have done more good.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Shiny stuff is pretty and makes me happy, as long as I haven't been irresponsible with my money.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I don't believe in crystal healing, but I do think some stones seems to be almost alive. I can't explain it, it's almost mystical. I just got a stone from Gene, and it's a beauty (no peeking, I am not ready to show it yet!), and it really seems to have something going on in there. . . :shock:

beau-wy

Rough_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1339781552|3217029 said:
beau-wy|1339767234|3216861 said:
I am at my healthiest, when I am sitting at a table covered with gems in the warm afternoon sunshine with a like-minded friend, mutually admiring one beautiful stone after another.

Okay, what afternoon should we come over? :cheeky:
Minous, you and everyone else just give me a day's notice - we'll go all BC-roman on the rocks, vino and chocks

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
If one person holds an illogical notion, then that person is excentric, perhaps bat-shit crazy - but if many persons collectively hold a no less illogical notion, it's called religion. In the former case, it seems that it is perfectly acceptable to laugh condescendingly, while in the latter, you practically have to walk on egg shells because it is politically incorrect to not respect another person's beliefs.

Do I believe in crystal healing? Not per se. I don't believe that a gem or crystal can measurably relieve a sore throat or heal a sprained ankle. But... As Richard E. Wise said, "gemstones are creatures of the light". As human beings, we are dependant on light. We all know that we need sunlight to produce vitamin D. We all know that the dark winter days can make you depressed, less energetic, etc. And some maintain that colours affect us psychologically. As such, it is not far fetched to believe that taking in he reflected light of a beautiful gem through your eyes somehow affects you, however minutely. That little moment of wonder where you are captivated by the play of colour in an opal, the fire and blinding brightness of a diamond, or the rich colour of a ruby/emerald/sapphire/tanzanite/what have you, isn't that an almost mystical experience?

I will go so far as to say that there are certain gems I like to wear or look upon at certain times - not as in "I have an exam today, where's my citrine?", but as in "this stone appeals particularly to me at this moment."

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would go so far as to say that I believe it is very likely that gems do have a physical, mental and spiritual effect on us whether we know it or not. Though I have never studied that aspect, I have studied and used Feng Shui and have some understanding of it and have seen it appear to work on numerous occasions. I do believe that the physical, mental and spiritual aspects are all related and connected. Perhaps if I studied the effects of gems I could understand it so I cannot dismiss it, however, I would take a guess and say that the hippies with the crystals are likely misinformed.
I have had many customers that believe in gemstone and metal effects on the body and they have me build rings and pendants for them where the stone touches their skin. Also they are extremely particular about the gems, almost exclusively they must be a certain color, great clarity and untreated, often very expensive and beautiful stones. (So far none have requested cheap Quartz crystals or Citrine.) This type of jewelry cannot be found in the mall or even in the local jewelry store so they are good customers for custom made pieces. I never question them and they seem like normal and logical people as well in other aspects.
The Asian people understand acupuncture and meridians of energy and seem to be able to heal things that our western doctors cannot. They also speak of the effect of metals on the way a meridian flows, gold opens a meridian and silver slows or closes it. Oddly enough the ring finger is on the sexual meridian and we customarily put gold on that finger when we marry, opening that meridian? Also odd is that I knew two couples that used silver for wedding rings and both those marriages failed. Of course maybe that had something to do with their financial situations too.
Bottom line, I don't know but prefer to keep an open mind. Best regards, Lee

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO crystal healing makes as much sense as a virgin having a baby, which is believed by billions of people.

Things not being reasonable, logical or provable is simply overlooked the majority of the world's population because doing so affords them benefits they value.

Since I respect all religions equally I respect your right to believe in the healing power of gems.

Since the OP asked, when it comes my views, on all of these topics I am an apatheist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism
It all just does not matter enough to me to even bother thinking about enough to form an opinion.
Thousands of years of greater minds than mine have not produced any consensus.

Though I'm an apatheist, I'm deeply fascinated by the powerful effect of these topics have on society, and on me personally, hence my many posts on the topic.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I was from Krypton, I may believe more in the healing powers of crystals. Until then, they just soothe me in other ways, pure entertainment.

krypton.jpg

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
I took the day off today, and I was just looking up "Sodalight", and I came upon this site called gemstonetherapy.com. They have lots of info on Sodalight and other gems as well, but it mostly 'metaphysical' type info about how gems and crystals can improve your life, heal you , give you more energy, etc.

Here's one thing they mentioned about Sodalight when worn with metal jewelry:

Sodalight and Metal

Sodalight strengthens all the energy flows in your body. Wearing base metals, such as those often used in jewelry, can cut off or inhibit these flows. Therefore, when wearing Sodalight and jewelry at the same time, some people may experience pain in their fingers and wrists. If this happens, simply remove your rings, bracelets, and wristwatches while you are wearing Sodalight. Some people may also need to remove their eyeglasses to allow the body's energy flows to move more freely about the face. Although gold, silver, and copper are less apt to have this effect, it is good to be aware of any possible conflicts.

Yep, you certainly dont want to inhibit the body's "energy flows" do you!?! Better not wear any gold or platinum with your Sodalight spheres(spheres are supposedly a more "efficient" shape for healing with Sodalight!)

But I gotta tell you, when you read all the stuff that Sodalight will do for you and your "vitality", who needs a Red Bull!

But I discovered some really good news for everyone on the above listed site. It seems that most gems only focus on improving one aspect of our "being", however, there are other gems that are great for "Multidimensional healing!" Whats even better, is that most of these multi-purpose gems are also the cheaper ones to purchase! You dont have to worry about needing to come up with $100,000 for a red or pink diamond for Multidimensional healing, all you gotta do is spend a few bucks on some clear quartz, or some Citrine! Wow, effective and inexpensive! What more can you ask for?

**Note: I wonder what ailments red and pink diamonds cure. Oh yeah, that question is for the diamond forum.... They probably cure gout or something...

So, I used to be friends with a few hippies/Dead heads when I was younger, and a few of them seemed to buy into the crystal healing stuff. They would keep some quartz and calcite crystals around here and there. I always liked crystals and gems, so I liked looking at them, but I didnt "feel" any better while being around them. Although it does make me feel good to look at nice gems, so thats something.......

What do you think?

Although I have been sarcastic above^, I believe in "to each his or her own", so I think people should be able to believe in whatever they want, and I'm not going to judge anyone for it(except for Scientologists, that is...just kidding Tom Cruise) :tongue:

I know this is an old post but I simply couldn’t help myself. Red and pink diamonds are an especially good cure for heaviness in the wallet and excessive bank balance. Buy a few of those super sized darlings and watch the decimal point make significant leaps to the left.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I generally don’t believe stones/crystals have some inherent mystic quality to them (Aquamarines for when you’re anxious, Apatite for when you’re hungry, etc).

But I do believe that human belief can be sometimes illogically effective on yourself, and little rituals or personal mythologies can have power in your day-to-day. Not to the level of (let’s say) curing cancer, but in other small ways.

Howeverrrrrr, I will say I get annoyed when I’m googling stuff like, “gem fractures” and I get a bunch of links debating if the healing power of a crystal can “leak out of fractures.”

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don't think i beleave but im serously considering getting some rose quartz and making a hanging for above my bed as i have terrible dreams and rose quartz reads quite well about promoting harmony and feelings of peace and universal love

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I believe that gemstones carry energy that affect us mentally, emotionally, and spiritually but I also hold some beliefs that 99% of you would balk at the thought of.
I believe these things and other unmentionables not because Ive read something or have been influenced by someone preaching about certain aspects or qualities but because of my own experiences that ive tried to explain with science over and over yet get nowhere. Experiences that can only be explained as spiritual and they have happened my whole life and continue to happen unprovoked.
So yes, because of countless first hand experiences with what we would call the spirit realm or the "other side" I believe that stones can and do also carry energy that can/is transferred to our body.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe because I am so happy wearing what I am wearing it transfers itself into my work and my ambitions. Well, I gotta work harder, make more money, to buy more gems. Every pocket burning purchase fires my ambition to greater heights. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't believe that gems and crystals do anything except make us happy. Their draw for me is that they are beautiful and formed in nature.

If we want to believe that they are healing or have some sort of health benefit, then maybe that will happen through positive thinking for the individual.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only mental/physical effect gems have on me is when I get all giddy and excited after looking at them. :bigsmile:

It is chromotherapy, therapy by color, and it exists. Like some people like music, others like color.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stones are just inorganic chemistry in different forms. They should not have any effect on us except for the odd situations when the components are truly toxic (can happen).

But if I had time and money, i’d Invest into a spa with different geodes and minerals, and the light in it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO crystal healing makes as much sense as a virgin having a baby, which is believed by billions of people.

Things not being reasonable, logical or provable is simply overlooked the majority of the world's population because doing so affords them benefits they value.

Since I respect all religions equally I respect your right to believe in the healing power of gems.

Since the OP asked, when it comes my views, on all of these topics I am an apatheist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism
It all just does not matter enough to me to even bother thinking about enough to form an opinion.
Thousands of years of greater minds than mine have not produced any consensus.

Though I'm an apatheist, I'm deeply fascinated by the powerful effect of these topics have on society, and on me personally, hence my many posts on the topic.

The virginity of Mary was debated, and agreed on during the Nicean convention. “Nicene creed”. Those unmarried, childless bishops, got together and discussed how Mary got pregnant. They had doubts, too, but finally they agreed on this “creed”, the way how people should believe. (I think they wanted to simplify it for the believers, and cut off the doubts). The ones who believe it now never ask where “the fact” came from. But at least I can see the need for monotheistic, unifying religion, historically, at that time, so Mary’s virginity made sense, in a way.

I see zero need for the humanity today to believe in mystical power of the stones (except for GP earning money through her GOOP), but on individual level, it is OK to believe as long as people don’t overdo it.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Maybe because I am so happy wearing what I am wearing it transfers itself into my work and my ambitions. Well, I gotta work harder, make more money, to buy more gems. Every pocket burning purchase fires my ambition to greater heights. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Wow that’s what I think too, but I’m not ambitious hahaha. More like I’m working and taking the associated s*** and stress to afford all my lovely bling. And they make me happy... which offsets the s*** and stress. Vicious cycle. Lol.

Ok probably placebo but I wear a jade bangle nearly 24/7 for protection and it makes me feel better. For days which I think can be especially stressful I tend to either wear more jadeite (like a particular pendant that touches my skin) or rubies. And then I believe second hand jewelry can have associated bad mojo so probably that make me superstitious? :P2

Not the crystal healing stuff tho. So selectively superstitious? o_O

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results