shape
carat
color
clarity

Gelin Abaci TR-005 - Arrived

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrsolid

Rough_Rock
So I ordered the TR-005 Gelin Abaci tension setting with a .60, SI1, H, Ideal cut round from dimend SCAASI about three weeks ago and it was shipped last Thursday from Chicago to Sweetgrass, MT where we drove to pick it up from Calgary, AB, Canada to avoid brokerage fees, etc. which I was warned could have been through the roof. The ring turned out gorgeous - we couldn't be happier with it! I have to say it was pretty nerve racking making such a large purchase having never seen this setting in person before or even having seen a real-world photo (i.e. non-promo picture) but those fears have been squashed and then some! A word to the wise, go for a slightly smaller ring size than she'd typically wear. My fiance (she said yes Saturday night!) normally wears a size 7, I ordered a 6.75 at Lexi from dimend SCAASI's advice and it fits pretty well but is a tad loose. The temporary plan is to make sure her wedding band is good and snug to guarantee it's not going anywhere and we'll decide in the next couple of months whether we want to get it resized, which is doable for a tension setting, but only slightly. Lexi was very helpful and knowledgable and got the ring done for us 1-2 weeks faster than the usual 4-5 week timeframe. See my "dimend SCAASI Customer Service" thread in the "Rocky Talky" section for more on my dimend SCAASI experience.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Pictures Please!!!
9.gif

LS

mrsolid

Rough_Rock
Sorry, here are the pics. Bear with me, I can''t figure out how to attach more than one per post.

1JessP1010076.JPG

mrsolid

Rough_Rock
Another

JessP1010078.JPG

mrsolid

Rough_Rock
And...

JessP1010079.JPG

mrsolid

Rough_Rock
And...

JessP1010080.JPG

mrsolid

Rough_Rock
And...

JessP1010081.JPG

mrsolid

Rough_Rock
And...

JessP1010085.JPG

mrsolid

Rough_Rock
And...

JessP1010086.JPG

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
emlove.gif
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ENGAGEMENT!
emlove.gif

I missed that bit on the first post!

The ring is lovely. What holds the stone in? (yeah, I know it''s a tension setting..but, is there *flex* in the ring that would pop it out?). Just wondering how this works. Very interesting design.

LS

mrsolid

Rough_Rock
And finally...

JessP1010087.JPG

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous - and congrats on the engagement!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, one more question:

Can you tell me how the brokerage fees would have worked to Canada?

Whiteflash is making me a ring. I''ve figured out the shipping, and that I''m obligated to pay PST (Ontario) & GST on the value of the ring...but how are brokerage fees calculated?

My other option is to do like you: have it shipped to Buffalo and pick it up. Then I''d declare it at the border because there is no duty on jewelry but only the taxes....

Thanks for the comments, if you have time sometime (AFTER you''ve posted your photos, of course!)

LS

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I love tension rings! It looks great. :)

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I love it! What a beautifully cool setting!
Congratulations to you both!

mrsolid

Rough_Rock
I''m not 100% on brokerage but I think it''s just the fee that the shipping company (i.e. Fedex, UPS, USPS, etc.) for the trouble of taking your item across the border on your behalf. I was told that it could be upwards of 20-25% of the value of your item in some cases, which I definitely wasn''t prepared to pay for a purchase as large as an engagement ring!

mrsolid

Rough_Rock
I''m pretty sure there''s a little "shelf" on the part of the ring that''s actually in contact with the diamond which helps keep it stationary. There''s no flex to the ring as far as I know. They use special techniques to make the ring itself strong and exercising enough "squeezing" pressure to hold the diamond in place. You can see it''s a pretty thick / substantial ring and it needs to be for the strength factor.

kboggs315

Shiny_Rock
I''m sorry..but I can''t tell whether its yellow or white gold?

RoseRed

Shiny_Rock
I love this ring! Just so pretty. May I ask what type of wedding band you've pick out to go with it?

oops...edit! Forgot to Congrats you on the engagement!!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement! The setting looks great on her hand, well done! Tension settings always seem to mesmerize me and I would love one as a RHR one day.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful photos of her ring. I love the clean modern lines of it and the stone looks glorious!

Itgirl76

Shiny_Rock
I love modern setting pretty ring!!

cara

Ideal_Rock
So beautiful! I love a nice tension set ring. You did very well!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 8:52:13 AM
Author: mrsolid
I''m pretty sure there''s a little ''shelf'' on the part of the ring that''s actually in contact with the diamond which helps keep it stationary. There''s no flex to the ring as far as I know. They use special techniques to make the ring itself strong and exercising enough ''squeezing'' pressure to hold the diamond in place. You can see it''s a pretty thick / substantial ring and it needs to be for the strength factor.

WAY KEWL!

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 8:47:28 AM
Author: mrsolid
I''m not 100% on brokerage but I think it''s just the fee that the shipping company (i.e. Fedex, UPS, USPS, etc.) for the trouble of taking your item across the border on your behalf. I was told that it could be upwards of 20-25% of the value of your item in some cases, which I definitely wasn''t prepared to pay for a purchase as large as an engagement ring!
Thankyou for that. It tells me that it might be worth my while to cross-border to receive mine as well. I''m really close to Buffalo and could have my ring shipped to a relative there....

Much appreciated.

LS

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
OOhhh very cool!! Congrats on the engagement!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, it is so gorgeous and elegant!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

mrsolid

Rough_Rock
It's 14k white gold and we were planning on just a plain band to go with it but having tried on a few yesterday, we're thinking it's too much metal so now we're looking for something simple with a few small diamonds. She tried a few yesterday that looked really beautiful and were also really affordable.

Thanks BTW to everyone for the congratulations
9.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
That is so beautiful and so modern. I love it.

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
just awesome! glad to see more tensions on here. wait till she starts to gets compliments on it. everyone always asks how it is floating in there
congrats

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results