shape
carat
color
clarity

GCAL Certificate???

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend who was recently engaged then Un-engage asked me about her ring... It has a certificate from GCAL... I found them on the web but couldn't find any reference here to them. In my short addiction here I had not see an external Sym. description and Optical Sym... and then I can't remember seeing this lab.

Anyone have opinions or information? It said on their website they just celebrated 10 years???

Always learning..... :read: Thanks for any comments!!!!

The diamond is a Modern Cushion Brilliant
1.31 Ct.
G - VS1
6.86X6.29X4.13
Polish - VG
External Symetry - G
Brilliance - Ex
Optical Sym - VG
Flour - None

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
I can't comment on GCAL's rigor or reputation, but I'll comment that Blue Nile adds a GCAL evaluation to their GIA grading report for the Signature line of diamonds. So, I've seen them on there.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Maybe not mentioned frequently, but if you enter the search term, lots of posts reference it.

I had checked it out, because they are used by the included body within Day's Jeweler's, for their inclusion of Botswana diamonds. I found in previous research them to be pretty well respected. I believe their certs try to, as your data shows, describe optical performance, and they use some sort of reflector type image, though probably Garry has dismissed it.

Ira Z.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did find a couple more posts... thank you... I guess I used the wrong search window (I used the one insdie Rocky Talk) not the one at the top... So there is more than likely another certificate for the diamond... like GIA.... I am guessing based on what I have learned looking at the posts..

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I think they are a strict and respected lab. Good Old Gold used to carry jubilee cuts with only GCAL certificates and they maintained they were on par with GIA.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmm interesting- I havent heard of them until now! :geek:

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always suspect GCAL's optical brilliance analysis and their integrity.

Seems to me like they always give a Excellent optical brilliance grade regardless of what the image really shows.

Some results I gathered over the past few years. Compared to what they supposed to give as excellent grade, which they specify for BN's Signature Ideals as between 100-93% light returns, other stones apparently gotten a Ex grade with far less performance.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-well-cut-are-botswana-diamonds.142200/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-on-1-17-ct-with-gcal-report.160290/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results