shape
carat
color
clarity

GCAL 8x Oval vs Random Oval I picked

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I have been curious for awhile now how a GCAL 8x oval performs next to a random oval that I just picked out from a list.

I found a good sized one for a decent price at The Art of Jewels (I know, after last week no one wants to hear that vendors name, lol) so picked out a very cheap setting from them just so I could wear it to get a good idea of how it performs.

Ignoring the obvious that this setting is really bad I have to say I’m not blown away by the difference in diamond performance either. It’s a pretty stone but I don’t think it looks vastly different than the oval I purchased from Frank Darling.

This is just in my kitchen tonight.

GCAL 8x is a 1.59 G VS2

IGI is a 1.5 E VS1

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
For science I shall compare the two in different lighting this week. And then I’ll need to reset the 8x because while I know the setting was cheap it’s very poorly done. The stone is crooked and and the prong tips are uneven.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both seem very lively. Looking forward to more pics. I love your scientific nature. :) Bummer regarding the setting.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for doing this,Jax172!
When I first heard about GCAL expanding their 8X grade to select fancy shapes, my first thought was "Yes - finally! A worthy fancy shape grade like AGS000!".

However, a majority of the 8X ovals that I've come across have seemed rather...ordinary to just outright underwhelming (no different than a majority of ovals that I've seen).
Really wish they would place a bit more focus on being more strict for things like bowtie effect and optics, especially in the center under the table where the mush can be.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Posted a few more videos in various lighting during my day. Maybe I just got lucky and bought a pretty decent oval on mmh own but again not really thinking the 8x is miles better. But yeah it’s a nice oval so if you want a better/easier shot at getting a good one I think it’s cool they provide the cert for a fancy shape. Definitely keeping it but now I have to figure out a setting for it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Jax172

Thanks for the gcal/regular oval comparison. Can you spell out which one is which? Is the regular one in the setting with
side stones and the Gcal is in the solitaire?

Thanks!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting experiment!!
I've been meaning to start a thread about "Super Ideal"- and my journey.
Long story short, I spent a lot of time railing against the whole idea.
I was so wanting to understand it, I even became a Crafted by Infinity Dealer back in the day.
Lab Diamonds have caused me to re-evaluate my position.
In the realm of man-made diamonds, there are far fewer reasons not to go for perfection when buying a round diamond. Some people just hate hearts and arrows. Some prefer 60/60's with no distinct pattern. No one is wrong for loving what they love, but getting everything aligned is just cool. Unlike natural diamonds, the extra cost for getting the best is so much less in real dollars.

But part of my argument then, and now, is that beauty isn't a scientifically quantifiable metric.
And when it comes to fancy shapes, the variables are far too many to even start to work for a cut grading system.
What's the correct LxW ratio?
I participated in GIA's attempt to create a cut grading system for fancy shapes.
People were shown a variety of fancy shaped diamonds. Five Oval Diamonds, for example, and we were to put them in order from best to worst cut.
It never came to anything because there wasn't a consensus on what was the best cut.

Both stones seem equally nice to me in the videos- admittedly, I would need to examine them myself to make my determination.
PS_ based on the video, both could be said to have "bow tie" but I suspect in person the center of the stones remains bright. It's very hard to capture that in a video.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @Jax172

Thanks for the gcal/regular oval comparison. Can you spell out which one is which? Is the regular one in the setting with
side stones and the Gcal is in the solitaire?

Thanks!

The GCAL was the solitaire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results