shape
carat
color
clarity

GCAL 8x @ Frank Darling - Right track?

NonZeroLentils

Rough_Rock
No luck finding a IRL 2+ preset yet...visited a local jeweler and they offered to memo in a few stones for me to see in person later this week in a range of sizes!

Based on the stone specs, they initially quoted me in the $3.5k range for a 2.25 carat (w/o setting)...I'm not expecting them to be able to price compete with FD, but I do put value on keeping business local, the personal touch, and the convenience of this store only being a short drive away. Will there typically be a sizable premium on the stone sourcing with a local vendor? This shop does set customer stones, though I could tell that they weren't super stoked with the idea of someone not sourcing the LGD through them and only having them set. Are prices negotiable or would it be a faux pas to do so at a mom & pop store? I want to be conscious of their time and be upfront about my expectations if there's likely no room here for movement on the price.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No luck finding a IRL 2+ preset yet...visited a local jeweler and they offered to memo in a few stones for me to see in person later this week in a range of sizes!

Based on the stone specs, they initially quoted me in the $3.5k range for a 2.25 carat (w/o setting)...I'm not expecting them to be able to price compete with FD, but I do put value on keeping business local, the personal touch, and the convenience of this store only being a short drive away. Will there typically be a sizable premium on the stone sourcing with a local vendor? This shop does set customer stones, though I could tell that they weren't super stoked with the idea of someone not sourcing the LGD through them and only having them set. Are prices negotiable or would it be a faux pas to do so at a mom & pop store? I want to be conscious of their time and be upfront about my expectations if there's likely no room here for movement on the price.

There is often a premium for a B&M store due to overhead costs, but no harm in asking if they can price-match to FD. You might want to inspect the workmanship on their settings to see if it's up to your standards.

NonZeroLentils

Rough_Rock
Welcome your thoughts on the stone check vid!

Any evidence to eliminate one or more of these from consideration based on this? They honestly all look pretty darn good to my untrained eye, though the 2nd one from top looks to sparkle the best (?). Your eyes and feedback are most welcome. I’d be curious to hear about what in particular you’re seeing that looks off or makes one better than another with any of these. I have a few more vids of each in a prong holder and also in a mock setting if that would be helpful to see.

Top to bottom (smallest to largest)
I’ve asked for input from FD too. ASETs to come.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Any evidence to eliminate one or more of these from consideration based on this? They honestly all look pretty darn good to my untrained eye, though the 2nd one from top looks to sparkle the best (?). Your eyes and feedback are most welcome. I’d be curious to hear about what in particular you’re seeing that looks off or makes one better than another with any of these. I have a few more vids of each in a prong holder and also in a mock setting if that would be helpful to see.

My eyes are gravitating towards the middle two in the video. Looking forward to seeing the ASET images.

aapple0112

Shiny_Rock

Hi NonZeroLentils,

They all look nice, especially middle 2.

Do you mind if I ask you about FD? I asked them to bring in diamond to take a look for videos and photos, but I was told I can only do 3 stones at same time. Then I see you posting video for 4 stones comparison. Curious why?
Also, have you noticed that FD raise the price today? You might want to check them with the price. So frustrating that price keep goes up...

NonZeroLentils

Rough_Rock
Hi NonZeroLentils,

They all look nice, especially middle 2.

Do you mind if I ask you about FD? I asked them to bring in diamond to take a look for videos and photos, but I was told I can only do 3 stones at same time. Then I see you posting video for 4 stones comparison. Curious why?
Also, have you noticed that FD raise the price today? You might want to check them with the price. So frustrating that price keep goes up...
Thanks @aapple0112!

Hm since the pages came down while stones are on hold I haven’t gotten any price change alerts. Good suggestion to ask about this. I wonder what price they’d honor if the price changes while the stone is under review.

As to the limit on stone holds…I wasn’t aware of the 3 stone limit. I requested review of these at the end of last week and didn’t receive any pushback. Maybe something new or maybe I got lucky?

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
They also told me three when I was looking at ovals. They may have already had on me or more of your stones in hand and only had to call in the other 3 on memo.

NonZeroLentils

Rough_Rock

ASETs in! Not exactly sure what to look for here. :think: The 2.15 looks the cleanest? Let me know what you think!

(order is from largest to smallest: 2.41, 2.19, 2.15 and 1.79)

NonZeroLentils

Rough_Rock

Update on what I learned about pricing, FD will honor the price as of when the hold was requested and then they will hold stones for one week. Once the stones go back into the pool, prices may change.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

ASETs in! Not exactly sure what to look for here. :think: The 2.15 looks the cleanest? Let me know what you think!

(order is from largest to smallest: 2.41, 2.19, 2.15 and 1.79)

Face-up alignment is a bit off for all of them.
2.41 may have a bit of pavilion twist.
I'd still gun for the 2.15

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
The ASET images weren't taken very well, but I still like the 2.19 and 2.15 the best.

Yes I struggled with that when I was trying to buy an oval from them. They don't seem to have a good set up to evaluate stones properly. not up to pricescope standards.

NonZeroLentils

Rough_Rock
Experiencing DSS week by week. o_O I checked out the 1.8-2.5 stones that the local jeweler picked out and now can totally see myself sporting something larger! 2.5 would be doable, esp with a solitaire setting :twisted2: Sooooo back to the drawing board on picks since the 2.41 didn't look great.

The prices I was quoted today (1.80 started at 3.2k, with a very mediocre 2.50 in the 5k+) put into perspective how much more you can get from a non-B&M. So also keeping a much more open mind on budget for this project going forward!

Putting this 2.67 one from Kim N back in the mix. Too bad the price has gone up by ~100 from last week

GCAL 8x CVD 2.51G at 3900 and wondering if I should just go for something like this. Would need to get comfortable with the price hike from where my budget was https://frankdarling.com/diamonds/diamond-LGA335017JA/

@DejaWiz @Kim N would you mind sharing your great-value PS-worthy picks in the 2.4-2.7ish range? You both are so awesome at this and it's been a huge help having you support this process! Thank you so much!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Experiencing DSS week by week. o_O I checked out the 1.8-2.5 stones that the local jeweler picked out and now can totally see myself sporting something larger! 2.5 would be doable, esp with a solitaire setting :twisted2: Sooooo back to the drawing board on picks since the 2.41 didn't look great.

The prices I was quoted today (1.80 started at 3.2k, with a very mediocre 2.50 in the 5k+) put into perspective how much more you can get from a non-B&M. So also keeping a much more open mind on budget for this project going forward!

Putting this 2.67 one from Kim N back in the mix. Too bad the price has gone up by ~100 from last week

GCAL 8x CVD 2.51G at 3900 and wondering if I should just go for something like this. Would need to get comfortable with the price hike from where my budget was https://frankdarling.com/diamonds/diamond-LGA335017JA/

@DejaWiz @Kim N would you mind sharing your great-value PS-worthy picks in the 2.4-2.7ish range? You both are so awesome at this and it's been a huge help having you support this process! Thank you so much!

Do you have a new budget cap that we can now stick to while searching?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You're not the first to get DSS by the week! :lol:

I still like that 2.67 F VS2 a lot.

NonZeroLentils

Rough_Rock
Do you have a new budget cap that we can now stick to while searching?
3500 cap? Realizing that I'm very much still in the figuring out what I like stage and then learning what that "like" costs.

You're not the first to get DSS by the week! :lol:
:lol::lol::lol:

I still like that 2.67 F VS2 a lot.

@Kim N thank you!!! Checking these out

NonZeroLentils

Rough_Rock
Any concern with the crown angle bumping over 35 for the 2.57, 2.64 or 2.74?

I'm seeing some black smear-like inclusions in the 2.67 video. Is that an artifact of how the video was taken or no problem. Something to have the FD folks take a closer look at in person?

Thinking about bringing in the 2.67 and the 2.53 for review.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any concern with the crown angle bumping over 35 for the 2.57, 2.64 or 2.74?

I'm seeing some black smear-like inclusions in the 2.67 video. Is that an artifact of how the video was taken or no problem. Something to have the FD folks take a closer look at in person?

Thinking about bringing in the 2.67 and the 2.53 for review.

No concerns about the crown angle on those three.

It's a good idea to ask FD to take a closer look at the inclusions on the 2.67.

NonZeroLentils

Rough_Rock
Videos and ASETs in for the 2.57, 2.64 and 2.67. I think it'll be between the 2.64 and 2.67!

The 2.67 speaks to me more...but I'm hesitating because of those black inclusions. I think you can see them on the ASET? FD could also spot something from the bottom with the unaided eye but not from the top, suggesting that the stone isn't actually an eye clean VS2. I'll ask them to take some close up photos for me against a white background.

For reference:
2.64/VS1/G https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG546205376
2.67/VS2/F https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG544278439

What do you think? Would you take the eye clean G/VS1 over the F/VS2 that looks a bit sparklier? Would those inclusions impact performance based on what can be seen or am I'm over thinking this?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
2.67 - you'll never see those inclusions unless you specifically hunt for them in a controlled environment with specific lighting condition.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Videos and ASETs in for the 2.57, 2.64 and 2.67. I think it'll be between the 2.64 and 2.67!

The 2.67 speaks to me more...but I'm hesitating because of those black inclusions. I think you can see them on the ASET? FD could also spot something from the bottom with the unaided eye but not from the top, suggesting that the stone isn't actually an eye clean VS2. I'll ask them to take some close up photos for me against a white background.

For reference:
2.64/VS1/G https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG546205376
2.67/VS2/F https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG544278439

What do you think? Would you take the eye clean G/VS1 over the F/VS2 that looks a bit sparklier? Would those inclusions impact performance based on what can be seen or am I'm over thinking this?

Pretty much zero chance the inclusions would impact performance, but I like your idea of getting close-up photos on a white background. I do prefer the whiter, sparklier F VS2 as long as it's completely eye-clean to your standards.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
For what its worth my favorite pedant is a 0.6ish Eightstar diamond that is graded an H I1. You can clearly see the inclusions from the bottom but it is completely eye clean from the top. So even if they seem an inclusion from the bottom you can totally still have it be eye clean. You will never be looking at the stone upside down.

NonZeroLentils

Rough_Rock
For what its worth my favorite pedant is a 0.6ish Eightstar diamond that is graded an H I1. You can clearly see the inclusions from the bottom but it is completely eye clean from the top. So even if they seem an inclusion from the bottom you can totally still have it be eye clean. You will never be looking at the stone upside down.
@Jax172 good to know! Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results