shape
carat
color
clarity

Gary Braun Afghan Tourmaline Asscher (4.92 ct. 9.5 mm)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been playing with this Afgan Tourmaline cut by Gary Braun all afternoon . . . just wanted to post some pics for the Asscher lovers!

First, Gary''s pic. There''s an inclusion on the table, and he mentioned that he could cut the stone to remove the inclusion, but in person, it''s not eye visible, and I would hate for this tourmaline to lose so much weight for an inconsequential inclusion.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another of Gary''s pics.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m having the hardest time getting the colour to come out. . .

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my hand, outside.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Showing some blue.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Closer - lost a ton of resolution to get it to fit.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
More, boy I had manhandled this tourmaline by the end of the shoot.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best representation of the colour I see.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
On it''s table next to my Gary Aqua.

original.aspx

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lauren,
I wouldn't sweat the inclusion. It's so small you can't really see it unless viewing up super close. BTW, I like the blue flash it gives off.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
With the aqua again.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
And again, looking sleepy.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
A little fire.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the blue in it!

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Profile.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
My Asschers . . . the Morganite is cut by Peter after I found some "clean" rough from Vallejo916 and showed it to Peter. He was skeptical of the seller, but gave it a shot, and since I found the rough, he gave me a decent price, about what I'd expect for an expertly cut morganite (with some character).
2.gif

It's not very clean, but I like the delicate peachy-pink colour.
2.gif

original.aspx

Afghan Tourmaline and Aqua by Gary Braun at Finewater, Morganite and Scapolite by Peter Torraca of PTGems.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW the cut is really nice, captivating. Your photos look good to me, but I know what you mean about not getting the right color on the camera that you see with your eyes.

Do you plan on setting this?

ETA: Could you list who cut each of your stones? That would give PSers an idea of who to go to for Asscher cuts!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 10:57:44 PM
Author: Chrono
Lauren,
I wouldn''t sweat the inclusion. It''s so small you can''t really see it unless viewing up super close. BTW, I like the blue flash it gives off.
Thanks, Chrono! I''m living with it for a couple of days and a couple of photo shoots before I decide to keep it. I find the blue flashes charming.
1.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
On the back of the hand - last one of the Afghan.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bonus pic of my Scap.
9.gif

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 11:02:23 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
WOW the cut is really nice, captivating. Your photos look good to me, but I know what you mean about not getting the right color on the camera that you see with your eyes.

Thanks Stone Hunter . . . I appreciate the kind words about my pics. I''ll be an unstoppable force with a DSLR (yeah, right!)
3.gif

I am still deciding if I should keep it. I''m in LOVE with the cut, but I''m not sure if the colour is too dark. It has some great colour, but I''m still working on dealing with the extinction I''m seeing. I''m leaning towards keeping it. And, if I do, it''ll be a solitaire ring, or if I can find some tiny step cut traps, I may do that . . . I don''t know.

Ideas? Suggestions? I''m open to them.
3.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
makes me almost like green

green is the hardest color to get right in photos.

It is the color that the sensor is least sensitive to.
As a matter of fact they have for every 1 red and one blue they have 2 green sensitive areas to make up for it.
But the photo ends up using the red channel(most sensitive) the most and the red channel doesn't react to green but does some to blue.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock

ETA: Could you list who cut each of your stones? That would give PSers an idea of who to go to for Asscher cuts!

Great idea! I went back to the pic of all 4 Asschers face up and posted who they are cut by. Aqua and Afghan Tourmaline are by Gary Braun. Moragnite and Scapolite by Peter Torraca.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you decide to keep it, it'll need a very open setting because it looks darker than Gary's picture. There's no question the cutting is excellent but the tone does appear rather dark.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 11:09:41 PM
Author: strmrdr

As a matter of fact they have for every 1 red and one blue they have 2 green sensitive areas to make up for it.
Almost, Karl?
2.gif

I have huge amounts of frustration from tonight''s photo shoot - but in the profile shot on the back of my hand, you can see how I calmed my frustration . . . 12 Mile Trail Merlot.
3.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 11:11:04 PM
Author: Chrono
If you decide to keep it, it''ll need a very open setting because it looks darker than Gary''s picture. There''s no question the cutting is excellent but the tone does not seem suited to a deep step cut stone.
Yeah, I was definitely thinking 4 prong solitaire of some sort if I keep it. I was worried it would be too dark, and there are moments where it is pretty dark in direct sunlight, but in those moments, there is a flash from deep within of green or blue . . .

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous asscher collection! I have no idea how I missed your scalpolite ring...but it''s gorgeous!
30.gif
30.gif
Love your new green stone too ...well all of them really
9.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s prety. IRL is it very dark? Asschers and greens are so hard to capture on camera.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 11:11:57 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Date: 5/20/2009 11:09:41 PM

Author: strmrdr

Almost, Karl?
2.gif

I have huge amounts of frustration from tonight''s photo shoot - but in the profile shot on the back of my hand, you can see how I calmed my frustration . . . 12 Mile Trail Merlot.
3.gif

green is my least favorite color, I grew up in a puke green house

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2009 11:07:51 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

Thanks Stone Hunter . . . I appreciate the kind words about my pics. I''ll be an unstoppable force with a DSLR (yeah, right!)
3.gif

I am still deciding if I should keep it. I''m in LOVE with the cut, but I''m not sure if the colour is too dark. It has some great colour, but I''m still working on dealing with the extinction I''m seeing. I''m leaning towards keeping it. And, if I do, it''ll be a solitaire ring, or if I can find some tiny step cut traps, I may do that . . . I don''t know.

Ideas? Suggestions? I''m open to them.
3.gif
If a tourmaline is naturally extinct, there''s really not much you can do to "open it up" except shine super bright lights on it all day. That''s just the nature of tourmaline with a closed c-axis.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results