shape
carat
color
clarity

Garry....Question on Setting a Regent

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Garry---I was reading the Regent cut analysis here on Pscope and noted the following:

It is important that Regent cuts are set with these girdle facets open and exposed so light can get in and out. That would normally be the case, because the Regent when set using corner caps they make a square outline. This ‘how to’ image can be printed to show a custom jeweler who may not have set a Regent before.

image008.jpg

The Regent cut turns the fish eye effect into an advantage; perhaps the people at regent could reasonably claim 4 additional facets (although the idea that more facets makes for a better looking diamond is flawed). Setting a regent diamond in prongs (as in the picture) allows light to enter the 4 girdle facets to gather or disperse additional light.

So does this mean that a Regent would not necessarily look that good in a tension setting? Where two sides of the diamond are not really allowing alot of light to get in as a typical pronged head would instead? I am possibly thinking of doing something like a Regent for Greg''s ring instead of the ACA....but not if the tension setting would not show off the Regent to it''s best advantage? Thoughts?

Thanks!

1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm okay thanks...I guess I will have to see. Not as big of a fan of the QOH as I am of the looks of the Regent (from pictures anyway!).

BTW Garry I just ordered an IdealScope and tweezer set through your website...finally!!
rodent.gif

abbey

Rough_Rock
So, I'm guessing that a bezel setting would be inappropriate for the regent as well.... I can't remember where I read it, but I thought I read somewhere that the Regent could take on the appearance of a cushion cut when properly set in a bezel.... It seems like that may not be a good idea based on the above???
I've been throwing around the idea of a Regent set in a Michael B. setting that has pave diamonds around the bezel. What do you think-will this kind of setting compromise the regent's brillance?

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi here is a pic of my Regent in the Vathche truffle...

It retains its unique cushiony shape with the 4 prongs...

I am a fan of bezel settings...but was afraid it mask to shape too much...

I have an old mine in a bezel that I love...

Hope this is helpful

Best of luck in your search

So Garry can interesting info re setting...kinda puts a kink in my plans for a band...even if I can get Cary to cut them small enough
11.gif

REGENTS ROCK
9.gif

my ering finished4.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is great Dianne
1.gif

Can I suggest you ask your jeweller to cut back the inside sapphire prongs - they will never ever wear out and could be 1/2 that size.

BTW they are amzing color
appl.gif

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Gary I will check into the prong thing...it is a Vatche truffle...not sure what can be done but will check...

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks...I suspect it is not a big deal...the big deal is me being without my ring...for a bit...I have already managed to whack one of the prongs holding the diamond...not issue with stone...but now the prond is no longer set perfectly on the facet...as in the picture...

I am not sure if I have to send it back to Vatche...but I agree the sapphire prongs are bigger than the diamond prongs and will ask that they be thinned up...

I wear my ring all the time...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results