shape
carat
color
clarity

Garnets Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Just for fun, some of the many different colors of garnets.

GarnetsPS.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
cool gemklctr! i love the colors
18.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, GK!

I remember when I thought all garnets were those dark red ones seen so often in Victorian jewelry!

What is the square, sort of peachy colored one in the bottom row?

widget

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/23/2005 11:39:21 AM
Author: widget
Thanks, GK!

I remember when I thought all garnets were those dark red ones seen so often in Victorian jewelry!

widget
A spessartite, as are the 3 ovals to its right. To its left is a color change garnet, not sure what family. The row above, l-r, is: 2 lemonites (yellow-green grossular), 2 demantoid (russian and US), and 2 "magic blue" color change from the find a number of years ago in Madagascar, I believe. Above that is a row of 5 different colors of what some would call tsavorite (although, unlike a certain auction site, I wouldn''t so classify the pear on the left). Above that is a malaia, a grape, a hessionite, and a mandarin (spessartite). Then a pair of oval rhodolites and an almandite (I think, but haven''t confirmed) on top.

I used to think the same, and was very surprised to find that garnet comes in almost as many colors as sapphire and tourmaline.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m going to add the description and the picture together:

Date: 8/23/2005 1:41:47 PM
Author: GemKlctr

Thanks, GK!

widget
A spessartite, as are the 3 ovals to its right. To its left is a color change garnet, not sure what family. The row above, l-r, is: 2 lemonites (yellow-green grossular), 2 demantoid (russian and US), and 2 ''magic blue'' color change from the find a number of years ago in Madagascar, I believe. Above that is a row of 5 different colors of what some would call tsavorite (although, unlike a certain auction site, I wouldn''t so classify the pear on the left). Above that is a malaia, a grape, a hessionite, and a mandarin (spessartite). Then a pair of oval rhodolites and an almandite (I think, but haven''t confirmed) on top.

I used to think the same, and was very surprised to find that garnet comes in almost as many colors as sapphire and tourmaline.
GarnetsPS.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
those are really awesome
i just love garnets
18.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Thanks belle. I should have done that to begin with.

louisesam

Rough_Rock
Thanks, GK!

widget
me too. i thought initially garnets were just red and i''d often confuse them with rubies. bad judgement on my part. didn''t realize that it could come in an array of colors. garnet isn''t exactly my fave gem, though it is my birthstone. thanks for sharing those pics GK.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2005 1:51:59 PM
Thanks belle. I should have done that to begin with.
you''re welcome
2.gif

it was fun without the names of them for a little while.....i got to guess as to what they were and then see the answers!
36.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I like garnets
12.gif
I LOVE GARNETS!!!
9.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/23/2005 2:25:12 PM
Author: MINE!!
I like garnets
12.gif
I LOVE GARNETS!!!
9.gif
How do you like this 6.21 Mandarin (with 1.33tcw E VS1 trilliants)? I think your avatar is spectacular.

Mandaring.JPG

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you''re blowing us away with these gems!
3.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
GK,
Are the green ones demantoids??? They are very pretty. My birthstone is garnet and I never liked the brownish red ones.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There isn''t much missing! Perhaps... a star and some other colros of grossularite
2.gif

But then, those are beautiful gems and you don''t need to start up a geology museum!

Thanks for posting :)

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/23/2005 4:44:19 PM
Author: kaleigh
GK,
Are the green ones demantoids??? They are very pretty. My birthstone is garnet and I never liked the brownish red ones.
Kaleigh,
There are 2 demantoids. They are the middle 2 gems in the second row from the bottom. The small round on the left is Russian. The more yellowish oval is from Arizona. With the recent discoveries, there are now more larger demantoids available. I think they are a very attractive stone with their unparalled (for a garnet) brilliance.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/23/2005 4:53:23 PM
Author: valeria101
There isn''t much missing! Perhaps... a star and some other colros of grossularite
2.gif

But then, those are beautiful gems and you don''t need to start up a geology museum!

Thanks for posting :)
Ana,
I''ve never seen a star garnet. Do you have one? That would be fascinating!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i just recently saw a parcel of small star garnets. though they were small, they were amazing
3.gif

here''s a pic of a star garnet......

star_garnet.jpg

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/23/2005 6:04:23 PM
Author: belle
i just recently saw a parcel of small star garnets. though they were small, they were amazing
3.gif

here''s a pic of a star garnet......
Thanks belle. Interesting stone with that 4 pointed star. I''ll have to look around for one. It''s a shame I didn''t find out about this until after Sunday''s Gem Show in DC.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think they are pretty interesting. the ones i saw were in the 5-6mm range and had 4 rays. i think there are some with 6 rays too.

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
30.gif
Fantastic collection!!!
30.gif

How rare are the "magic blue" garnets? Do they change color in different lighting?

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/24/2005 11:22:03 PM
Author: Buena Girl
30.gif
Fantastic collection!!!
30.gif

How rare are the ''magic blue'' garnets? Do they change color in different lighting?
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed viewing it. As for the magic blues, they are from a find a number of years ago. I believe it played out as I have not seen any on the market for some time. There never were many larger stones available, and mine are only about a half carat each. People could be hoarding the rough, like D Block tanzanite and pink Madagascar sapphires, but my sense is that it was not a very large deposit to begin with.

They do have a distinct color change among daylight, incandescent and florescent lighting. Because I just set up this display and haven''t had them out for years, I don''t recall what the colors are. I''ll have to check that out this weekend.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2005 10:08:17 AM

As for the magic blues, they are from a find a number of years ago. I believe it played out as I have not seen any on the market for some time. There never were many larger stones available, and mine are only about a half carat each.
I thought the same until THIS came along. Of the original find, the largest I know of was a bit over 5cts
1.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/25/2005 10:36:09 AM

As for the magic blues, they are from a find a number of years ago. I believe it played out as I have not seen any on the market for some time. There never were many larger stones available, and mine are only about a half carat each.
I thought the same until THIS came along. Of the original find, the largest I know of was a bit over 5cts
1.gif
I''ll bet he''s been sitting on that stone for a few years! I believe Multicolour is where one of my magic blues came from.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2005 10:36:09 AM

1.gif
nice find ana....that''s a beauty!
3.gif

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Valeria, THANK YOU for posting the link to that fabulous garnet!!!!!!! I feel the "I want it, I need it, I can''t live without it" urges
face20.gif

How hard are these stones to come by? I literally feel weak thinking about a color change garnet with those colors. If I was looking to buy one maybe in 2006, do you think some nice ones might be available, or should I pounce on this one? Moneywise, I would prefer to wait.

GK- If you examine your magic blue garnets in different lighting this weekend, could you let us know what you think about it? Vibrance? Difference in color? Anything like that? THANKS!!!

Here''s a pic in case anyone would like to see it without having to click the link:

blue2fuscia.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
buena girl,
color change garnets are indeed beautiful, but the colors that they may exhibit in different lighting conditions can be sublte and very difficult to capture in a photo. if you are seriously considering one for purchase, make sure the vendor has a good return policy and look at the stone yourself to determine the exact color change properties. if you find that the stone isn''t what was represented or expected, you should be able to return it.
2.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
GK- If you examine your magic blue garnets in different lighting this weekend, could you let us know what you think about it? Vibrance? Difference in color? Anything like that? THANKS!!!

Will do. I believe mine do not exhibit quite the degree of color change shown in that illustration, but it is reasonably evident as I recall.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2005 12:00:31 PM
Author: Buena Girl

If I was looking to buy one maybe in 2006, do you think some nice ones might be available, or should I pounce on this one? Moneywise, I would prefer to wait.
It has been more than a year since I*ve heard, let alone seen anything like. So... what can I say
20.gif

Most likely the color change is not quite like the picture (is it ever, in anything ? -maybe under 'very' controlled lighting) but if this is among the best color change garnets, the previous sentence applies.

There are several smaller pieces near this one at the same seller.

If this is a new source, it would probably last a couple of years, but even during the last such even (was it about 2000-2001?) there's never been a flood and the opportunity to rub two such stones over two carats did not come easy.

All, just from myexperience. Michael E or MJO would be the ones to know such things reliably.

I would reserve this and send an e-mail to Africagems (or call, if feasible) since they had a reasonably good suply a while ago and that website gets update very, very seldom. The largest color change garnet I mentioned previously was on their 'private reserve' list too.
7.gif

I wouldn*t know 1000 sources where to find out whether this stone is a first or the LAST drop in the bucket.

But, either way, I can't imagine you can win by waiting. Not that the stone is cheap... but it may be a looong while befre one surfaces. And if such alternative comes from a private owner it will be even more.

Another idea would be to ask Multicolor for an alternative in a diplomatic way.
38.gif

Basically... GET IT!
9.gif

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Ana,

That color change looks great in the picture. There have been a few larger stones on the market recently. I just bought a blue to rassberry 2.5ct but paid $700/ct so this seems cheap. There is also a new find of bluish green to amethyst color that is going for $450/ct for 1ct stones and $800 or so for 3ct stones but the green isn''t that great.

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, that stone is so tempting, but I just don''t have a spare $800 this month
7.gif
Maybe it will still be available later this year?
27.gif

valeria, that website (multicolour.com) is really cool! Thanks for posting about it. I''ll have to mark it as a fav. They had loads of color change garnets, but most of them are so teeny tiny and not very pretty colors. I hope they eventually get more of the magic blue stones.

MJO- Thanks for the additional info!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results