shape
carat
color
clarity

Garnet - Where to start?

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I have an oval halo that has a lab diamond in it at the moment that I never wear. I am thinking of replacing the lad diamond with a garnet as it was my grandmothers birthstone and she passed away just before Christmas. I think it will be a nice way to remember her. Problem is i know nothing about gemstones.

I'd be looking for an oval around 8X6, any idea where to start looking and any idea of approx cost?
If am after a wine/darkred colour one (not sure if this is the right description) - am i right in saying they come in many colours?
Is garnet suitable for everyday wear or more occasional wear.

If anyone has an advice or ideas id love to hear as this is all new to me! I am usually a diamond girl! Thanks

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Do you want to buy a new pendant or replace the lab diamond with a garnet in the existing halo pendant?

Hi there - First I wanted to express my condolences on the loss of your dear grandmother. What a lovely way to pay tribute.

So I feel like you'd maybe want to go with a rhodolite garnet. They are readily available in the color you're after, reasonably priced even in fine qualities, and are one of the hardest among all garnet varieties (7.5 on the Mohs scale). JTV has many different shapes and sizes available. But I'm sure other members will be along with some great recommendations on private sellers. Good luck!!

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I have an oval halo that has a lab diamond in it at the moment that I never wear. I am thinking of replacing the lad diamond with a garnet as it was my grandmothers birthstone and she passed away just before Christmas. I think it will be a nice way to remember her. Problem is i know nothing about gemstones.

I'd be looking for an oval around 8X6, any idea where to start looking and any idea of approx cost?
If am after a wine/darkred colour one (not sure if this is the right description) - am i right in saying they come in many colours?

If anyone has an advice or ideas id love to hear as this is all new to me! I am usually a diamond girl! Thanks

You're right, garnets come in all different colors and they are suitable for everyday use. Whatever color you choose, try to get one that's not too dark.

Master Cut Gems has several and they're prices can't be beat!!

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
You're right, garnets come in all different colors and they are suitable for everyday use. Whatever color you choose, try to get one that's not too dark.

Master Cut Gems has several and they're prices can't be beat!!

On my screen this is more of a orangey red than wine red, wine red to me means some purple/red combo.

If OP wants a loose stone, Brad at thegemtrader.com has had red/purple rhodolites for reasonable pricing. Maybe he would have something with more red and less purple than these.
Screenshot 2022-03-30 at 21-03-05 0.99 ct. North Carolina Rhodolite - The Gem Trader Rare Gems...png 6.56-ct.-Purple-Garnet-Pair-RhodolitePrI.jpg

Actually some of my learner stones were similar garnets.
A bit embarrassing to post gems from before I knew what I wanted and liked, but whatever. At least I never spent much on learner stones thanks to this forum.

Orangey red garnets (from Litnon) next to a pear shaped rhodolite (from Brad). Direct LED light. Less dark in daylight, like most of these garnets.
OnPaste.20220330-211846.png

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having the replacement garnet be a calibrated size (assuming the lab diamond was as well)
And it not having a heavy pavilion will help immensely in the jeweler fitting the garnet nicely into your existing setting. Especially since it’s a halo.
A bunch of non calibrated 8x6 oval gems can all have different outline shapes from each other.
It being calibrated should have the same outline shape of your lab diamond - but that’s something to look into. Some halo outline designs are more forgiving than others, in accepting various outline shapes of a center stone.

I think any garnet will show facet abrasion with daily wear. How much that matters to you…….

Fun project!

Last edited:

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
I bought a couple of stones from Litnon's but didn't have great luck. The first was a huge amethyst that I returned. The next was a pink tourmaline with a giant window - I could read a newspaper through it!!

I actually set that in a ring only to figure out the stone looked bad so had it removed. It's been sitting in my jewelery box for years. Maybe some day I'll have it recut.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Do you want to buy a new pendant or replace the lab diamond with a garnet in the existing halo pendant?

Hey, sorry I didn’t specify but it’s actually a ring I have not a pendent. Here is a pic! The lab diamond is loose so I need to reset but since I got this I’ve gotten a cushion halo so want to repurpose this setting as I don’t have a need for two diamond halo (as much as I love bling!)

I do have the exact measurements of the diamond so could use that to make sure it is a good fit as rfisher has mentioned! I just didn’t know how expensive it may be to have one cut to size.

In my ignorance I initially thought garnets where just a very deep red so that’s what I had in my mind. The colour that you see as jan birthstone. I think it will be a nice contract to the diamonds.

6567C1AB-ACD7-4052-85EC-0582E2606EA4.jpeg

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Hi there - First I wanted to express my condolences on the loss of your dear grandmother. What a lovely way to pay tribute.

Thank you so much. She loved jewellery and was such a magpie. I’m delighted I take after her in that way!

Her birthday was January which is usually represented by a deep red colour so that’s what I am after.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
This looks nice. Not the right size but I will keep an eye on that sight.

Some vendors offer stones which have already been sorted in calibrated sizes. Just pick the desired mm size. The links below have 8x6 garnets, 25-85usd range. Africagems frequently has site wide sales. You could probably ask them to check for certain things, e.g. no window, and get a vid of the actual stone they would send you.

https://www.africagems.com/calibrated-mozambique-garnet-oval-aaa.html

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello,

Watching your thread with interest as ive never brought a loose stone before but need to soon

its a lovelly way to remenber your grandma

I really like that colour garnet despite not being a red lover

Best of luck finding a beauty

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Some vendors offer stones which have already been sorted in calibrated sizes. Just pick the desired mm size. The links below have 8x6 garnets, 25-85usd range. Africagems frequently has site wide sales. You could probably ask them to check for certain things, e.g. no window, and get a vid of the actual stone they would send you.

https://www.africagems.com/calibrated-mozambique-garnet-oval-aaa.html

Thanks for this they have some in 8x6 and the colors look nice. I didn't realise that they were so inexpensive! This may be a silly question but are these stones natural or man made, Is the reason they are cheap is that they are lab/man made or enhanced in some way? I have no idea on these but have heard that debate for other stones, Given the cost, Id rather spend a bit more and get a 'natural' stone (apologies if that's not the correct terminology!)

Also I think my lab diamond is 8.16x5.8 (ish, I need to look up cert for exact size) will a standard 8X6 do or would I need to look at getting one more close to the actual stats?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring! I have no doubt you will be able to find a beautiful Garnet to fit into that setting. However, you will need to pay attention to the depth of the stone and the depth in the setting. Color stones are notoriously cut deeper than diamonds are. For that reason you may end up with a smaller stone and an airline to allow for the depth. Good luck with your search, I will be following to see what you choose.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for this they have some in 8x6 and the colors look nice. I didn't realise that they were so inexpensive! This may be a silly question but are these stones natural or man made, Is the reason they are cheap is that they are lab/man made or enhanced in some way? I have no idea on these but have heard that debate for other stones, Given the cost, Id rather spend a bit more and get a 'natural' stone (apologies if that's not the correct terminology!)

Also I think my lab diamond is 8.16x5.8 (ish, I need to look up cert for exact size) will a standard 8X6 do or would I need to look at getting one more close to the actual stats?

No silly questions =)2 They are natural and not enhanced. There are synthetic garnets out there, so you have to trust that a vendor has good sources (a lab report would cost as much or more than the stone in this case). Garnets can be enhanced with oil (for clarity) and heat (for color) sometimes but its not common with dark red garnets (at least I haven't seen it yet).

I don't think Multicolour sells synthetics and Africagems makes it clear when stones are synthetics, e.g these:
They also state in the listings 'no treatment' or something to that effect. If a stone is treated, reliable sellers like these will disclose the type and degree (e.g most of their emeralds will be listed as oiled or filled with resin)

These are affordable because they are plentiful and the dark tone is not considered desirable by the trade, particularly when paired with orange or red modifiers. Some garnets like tsavorite, spessartite and demantoid can be much more expensive though. Here's an approx 40ct rhodolite for 1.5k, which is 40/ct.

If you go with a stock listing make sure you see the stone they'll send beforehand. With a photo you can determine if a stone is clean and well cut before they send it.
If you want to splurge, you could look at precision cuts or have one custom cut. This cutter was just the first that came to mind, as an example of precision cut work.
I also echo what @ringo865 said, I know nothing about setting a new stone in an old setting other than that it is considered tricky due dimensions, depth, girdle thickness, and probably other factors. Hopefully others can advise if you need a stone closer to the diamond's dimensions rather than a standard 8x6.

Last edited:

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love garnets! They come in many different colors and “species”. I also started with the deep red color which is the classic color. I prefer stones that are not too dark.

My local jeweler is good at adjusting prongs, etc., to fit a new stone to an older setting. You might try to find a jeweler who can check the garnets you are considering to make sure they will fit. It may be a matter of ordering and returning what doesn’t work out. I’m sure your ring will be stunning!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good news is that garnets are not overly expensive and come in a variety of colors. Keep us posted as your search progresses!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Etsy has a ton of storefronts for many Instagram cutters. Any one of these artists could possibly take this on for you. Garnet can be very affordable and beautiful.
These are just the first few random that came up after putting in precision cut gemstone. There are many, from fantasy cuts on down. It'll take some looking or just reaching out to get the oval you will be crazy for!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ExcessDesign?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=541169044

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good news is that garnets are not overly expensive and come in a variety of colors. Keep us posted as your search progresses!

It depends. Pyrope is inexpensive, but other varieties, even some pink rhodolite varieties, have been going up quite a bit. And if you’re looking at green garnets, that’s a whole other ball of wax.

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone, I will check out the suggestions above and keep ye all posted. I am also going to check with my local jeweller to see if he could source a suitable one for me as that might be the easiest option to go with! Thanks again for all the suggestions,

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone,

So I eventually got round to putting a garnet in this ring and thought I would post a little update Incase anyone wanted to see how to turned out. I am delighted with it.
It’s very hard to photograph to catch the colour but I tried my best!

EC3AA6FE-C1A9-45CD-97CA-A74E43298C97.jpeg

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
It turned out beautifully!

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Great setting for a ruby!! I love the contrast of the stone against the diamonds!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Love it! I wear my grandmother’s gold chain so I totally get the sentimental value of the garnet.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results