shape
carat
color
clarity

Garnet pricing

Sonyawp

Rough_Rock
I found a garnet - through a group on Facebook- that I just love. It looks very much like a padparadscha sapphire but is a color change garnet. It is a little over 5 ct. and he was asking $1,500 but I offered $800 and he accepted. I know prices are probably all over the place but any idea how to tell if it is a good deal or not?

garnet_5.jpg

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Sonyawp - I think I know of the vendor from the photos...or at least the person who took the original pics. From my understanding its a woman who sells wholesale, who lives near the Thai border...I purchased a couple stones from an American (Etsy store) vendor but the stones came from this Thai person. Anyway, short story is they were well cut and clean, but I felt the photos showed the best possible lighting and weren't showing what the color in most lighting. I ended up returning my purchases to the American vendor with no issues.

I can't speak to the price, but that's my info based on the pic. The color does look pad-like, but might be more washed out or brownish in person. Probably Chrono or some other expert would be able to give you more advice.

Sonyawp

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the quick response. I did wonder about that - I know sometimes the stones look so fantastic in the photos and I have purchase two - from a different vendor - that I wound up returning. I would love a beautiful Padparadascha sapphire but those things are so expensive - I don't know that that will ever happen.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sonyawp|1459196325|4012183 said:
Thank you for the quick response. I did wonder about that - I know sometimes the stones look so fantastic in the photos and I have purchase two - from a different vendor - that I wound up returning. I would love a beautiful Padparadascha sapphire but those things are so expensive - I don't know that that will ever happen.

Yeah, that's definitely from the vendor that Desertrose mentioned. I think the nice thing about going this route (i.e. the stone is originally from the Thai vendor, but being sold by a well respected vendor in the US) is that the return process (if necessary) won't be a problem. Also the US vendor is very trustworthy, so if he's seen it in person and says the color in the pics is accurate I'd be very tempted to take his word. Having worked with him before he's a great guy and is honest about colors/flaws/shortcomings of stones. I think the stone looks gorgeous and if the pics are accurate the price seems excellent. I'm excited to see what it looks like in hand!

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Lovedogs - I'm curious, is it okay to mention names here? If so, I think we may have different American vendors in mind...I wonder if they are both using the same Thai source?

The Etsy store I used was Gemsbytlc (Terri Caton), she was easy to work with and took the stones back no problem. Her source has videos on YouTube under the name Dokmai Suebthep...sounds like your American vendor was a guy? Who might I ask?

Here's a video of the stone I purchased, via Terri:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPKq9xxCAvE

See all the pink and orange in the video? That's what I really liked about the stone. It was however, more of a solid red. It was actually a pretty nice red, but not what I was looking for, and was overall not as exciting of a stone as it appeared in the video. I wonder if the lighting in different parts of the world makes a difference?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Desertrose|1459197324|4012197 said:
Lovedogs - I'm curious, is it okay to mention names here? If so, I think we may have different American vendors in mind...I wonder if they are both using the same Thai source?

The Etsy store I used was Gemsbytlc (Terri Caton), she was easy to work with and took the stones back no problem. Her source has videos on YouTube under the name Dokmai Suebthep...sounds like your American vendor was a guy? Who might I ask?

Here's a video of the stone I purchased, via Terri:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPKq9xxCAvE

See all the pink and orange in the video? That's what I really liked about the stone. It was however, more of a solid red. It was actually a pretty nice red, but not what I was looking for, and was overall not as exciting of a stone as it appeared in the video. I wonder if the lighting in different parts of the world makes a difference?

Oh sorry, Desertrose! I meant that I thought we were talking about the same Thai vendor (who has their own store on Ebay, which is how I know about them). But yes, I've also worked w. Terri and she also got stones from that same Thai vendor.

The US vendor I'm talking about is Jason Brim (he's the one selling the stone in question, since I also saw it on FB and was tempted by it :naughty:, but I'm saving for a blue/green tourmaline)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is additional information for those who wish to offer advice to the OP.

5.44ct Color Change Garnet, Tanzania, 10.57 X 8.68 X 6.49MM, untreated, copper/orange-red in incandescent lighting, better than eye clean.

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Oh sorry, Desertrose! I meant that I thought we were talking about the same Thai vendor (who has their own store on Ebay, which is how I know about them). But yes, I've also worked w. Terri and she also got stones from that same Thai vendor.

The US vendor I'm talking about is Jason Brim (he's the one selling the stone in question, since I also saw it on FB and was tempted by it :naughty:, but I'm saving for a blue/green tourmaline)

Lovedogs: Good to know! It's funny how small a world the gemstone business seems to be :D

What is the name of the Etsy store for the Thai source?

LisaRN - nice of you to post the specs! I'm curious now too, is the OP getting a good price for this type/size of stone? Anyone know avg price per carat?

arabella

Shiny_Rock
lovedogs|1459196854|4012188 said:
Sonyawp|1459196325|4012183 said:

Yeah, that's definitely from the vendor that Desertrose mentioned. I think the nice thing about going this route (i.e. the stone is originally from the Thai vendor, but being sold by a well respected vendor in the US) is that the return process (if necessary) won't be a problem. Also the US vendor is very trustworthy, so if he's seen it in person and says the color in the pics is accurate I'd be very tempted to take his word. Having worked with him before he's a great guy and is honest about colors/flaws/shortcomings of stones. I think the stone looks gorgeous and if the pics are accurate the price seems excellent. I'm excited to see what it looks like in hand!

I have seen several stones on that vendor's ebay shop in the past that I was tempted to purchase, but I was doubtful of the accuracy of the photos and didn't want to have to return a stone overseas. So I agree, at least this way returns would be easy if you're in the US!!

Edit: desertrose, the ebay seller is siamgold78. Some stones have GIA reports so you can compare the pictures in the report to the ones on ebay, but to me it seems like the pictures are usually edited to increase saturation. I think there was a thread about this seller a while back with some PSers' experiences.

Sonyawp

Rough_Rock
Lovedogs - you are correct! He is super nice and has a 7 day return policy.

Desertrose - Dang - that video looks almost identical! I bet it has to be the same supplier!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have more pictures or a video of the stone?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If calculations are correct, about 147(ish) dollars per ct.

I honestly don't know if thats good for that type of garnet. Color change garnets are way harder to grasp for me.
I'm about to be gripey, ignore it if you don't want to see me gripe....lol

*****arcadian's gripe*****

Color is nice, but I'd prefer to see it on a plain white or gray background. Because the stone is potentially bright (or not, heck Its hard for me to read) a more neutral background will isolate the color of the stone so it can be read better. Its probably the reason I never advocate to see it on someone's hand either. Being I'm dark of COURSE lots of colors really jump off my skin, but what if someone is more peach colored? I just feel it changes the game you know? Now you have to content with contrasting colors around the stone too. While its true its not going to be in some neutralized box in your own personal surroundings, I hate when sellers do this type of thing because I feel its a bit deceptive, your eyes will look at contrasting colors in a different way, thats especially true with certain colored backgrounds like this at it nearly mimics fruit, which in the human mind, is good. It may not be intentional deception but I'm just putting it out there.

*****end gripe*****
I think I need a snicker's or some peanut butter cups. :roll: :lol:

Sonyawp

Rough_Rock
There was a video but I think he pulled it now that I purchased. I will post pics when I get them for comparison.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results