shape
carat
color
clarity

Garnet Pendant CAD Help

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Hello PS family,

I’ve got a sweet shield cut garnet that I’m looking to set as a pendant. I’m thinking yellow gold and diamonds on the thicker claw prongs. I have an initial CAD worked up but find having additional input crucial in this process. I’ll attach the CAD and pictures of the stone =)2 Let me know if you have questions or see something off that I’m missing - thank you! IMG_1378.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1247.jpeg
    IMG_1247.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DK 100727-QUAD-1.png
    DK 100727-QUAD-1.png
    671.4 KB · Views: 38
It's huuuge!! What a beauty this is going to be. I absolutely love your design... simple but thoroughly effective. It's the perfect shape for a drop pendant. Can't wait to see the result!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I love that and I'll be eager to see the outcome. In a year or so I want to get something similar for my youngest! Where did you find such a nice shield?

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Ooh, I love that and I'll be eager to see the outcome. In a year or so I want to get something similar for my youngest! Where did you find such a nice shield?

Thank you! I’m pretty excited for this project as I’ve been eyeballing this shield since October :kiss2: I found them through Premier Gemstones - they’ve cut quite a few stones that you see being offered by Alex on his IG pages. Here’s a link to their IG:

@Autumn in New England @ItsMainelyYou
Any ideas on chains to pair this with? I’m pretty stumped in that area - I’m thinking a longer chain due to the size…

I think a nice palm wheat chain (below) would look lovely. I also like the gleam of box chains, but they have a "colder" look. You could also do a wire/collar. What will the bail accommodate, do you think?

Captureju.JPG

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe the CAD looks nice, and am looking forward to see the finished piece!

As for a chain, I would personally opt for a box chain with an extender, to make the chain variable in overall length to suit different necklines.

Extender chains can be found via Etsy where I got my 2in one to go with a 16in box chain that I also bought from a different vendor.

DK :))

I also love it but I do wonder how much the diamonds on the prongs will be seen when worn?

I think it's more of a "for me" touch, which I love. So it'll be a scenario where it scintillates as you move, but not an accent that's as visible "head on."

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
I think a nice palm wheat chain (below) would look lovely. I also like the gleam of box chains, but they have a "colder" look. You could also do a wire/collar. What will the bail accommodate, do you think?

Captureju.JPG

I quite like this idea! What do you think about a light antiquing on the pendant and chain? Good question - I need to ask and probably need to get a wax mold as well.

Agreed - it’s more of a detail for me, when I look at it =)2

Jinx, buy me a beer.
drinkingbuddies.gif

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
I believe the CAD looks nice, and am looking forward to see the finished piece!

As for a chain, I would personally opt for a box chain with an extender, to make the chain variable in overall length to suit different necklines.

Extender chains can be found via Etsy where I got my 2in one to go with a 16in box chain that I also bought from a different vendor.

DK :))

Ah, yes! Excellent idea! I think I may have a box chain already too - I need to go look =)2

I quite like this idea! What do you think about a light antiquing on the pendant and chain? Good question - I need to ask and probably need to get a wax mold as well.

Definitely go for the 3D printed model... so helpful (especially with rings)! I LOVE antiquing and oxidized accents, so I might be the wrong person to ask. lol It really depends on the pendant's finish, I suppose.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Definitely go for the 3D printed model... so helpful (especially with rings)! I LOVE antiquing and oxidized accents, so I might be the wrong person to ask. lol It really depends on the pendant's finish, I suppose.

My original ask was not to go with a shiny finish but rather an unfinished look but not satin. So I really think the antiquing could look quite nice. Almost a little gothic with the center stone.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'd also look out for a smaller type of trombone chain or some random fancy link you come across. You'd have to hunt, because the prices are exorbitant on trombones.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
I'd also look out for a smaller type of trombone chain or some random fancy link you come across. You'd have to hunt, because the prices are exorbitant on trombones.

This is a really great option as well. I know I’ve seen some fancier linked chains sold by Alex Park so that could be an option. I might just have to be patient for the right one to come up, or possibly secondhand on LT =)2

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sort of obsessed with larger rolo chains, which somehow feel old timey to me. Like the 1.5 or even the 2.4mm in this image. I like how it is substantial but "open" because of the circular links. Whatever you do, I think you might need a slightly more substantial chain for this large piece.

1708992794968.png

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
I am sort of obsessed with larger rolo chains, which somehow feel old timey to me. Like the 1.5 or even the 2.4mm in this image. I like how it is substantial but "open" because of the circular links. Whatever you do, I think you might need a slightly more substantial chain for this large piece.

1708992794968.png

I’m with you on these chains! I have a few of them for other pendants as well =)2 they are certainly not out of the running!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results