shape
carat
color
clarity

Garnet Engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

airmanssweetie

Rough_Rock
Hello all! I have looked and looked and I have decided that I would love to get a garnet engagement ring. My DF and I all engaged and all, but I'm ring-less. But that's okay, I get to help look around! I have found a couple of garnets that I like from AJS Gems...recommended by you all here on pricescope. But I have no idea which is better than the other...I have very short hands, girls gloves fit me! I have a size 5.5 finger so something huge is not in the picture...here are the garnets I'm looking at...

I have no idea, I'm trying to learn, but would really appreciate it if you experts out there could lend me a hand!

#1 http://www.ajsgems.com/gemstones/Garnet/Rhodolite-Garnet-2049215512-2046340405.html?sessionID=sbv-uRj-wQKUuO7H

#2 http://www.ajsgems.com/gemstones/Garnet/Rhodolite-Garnet-2049214418-2046340405.html?sessionID=sbv-uRj-wQKUuO7H

#3 http://www.ajsgems.com/gemstones/Garnet/Rhodolite-Garnet-2049215508-2046340405.html?sessionID=sbv-uRj-wQKUuO7H

#4 http://www.ajsgems.com/gemstones/Garnet/Rhodolite-Garnet-2049214427-2046340405.html?sessionID=sbv-uRj-wQKUuO7H

Or if I am going totally in the wrong direction, I'm totally open to suggestions!

Also, if I'm not asking too much already, I have found a setting on Danforth Diamond's website that I would love to get for my garnet. But if I buy just the setting, do I take it somewhere locally to get it mounted? You must really excuse my naiveness (if that is a word)! I'm trying

Thank you Thank you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of your 4 choices, I like the 1st and the 4th.
The second has too deep/dark a colour and the 3rd has a very elongated shape which means a custom setting.

A rhodolite makes a lovely e-ring but do be gentle with it. Garnets are hardy gemstones but not as hard as diamonds and sapphires/rubies. No hard/dirty work with them on or you'll risk some scratches or chipping.

As for the setting, yes, I've brought the stone and setting to my local jeweller to get it mounted.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
garnets aren't hard enough for 24/7 wear. however, i wouldn't let that stop you....it didn't me but then i don't wear mine 24/7. if i was going to do that, i'd bezel the entire girdle to protect it.

having a color stone for an e-ring is adventurous and worthwhile, imo.

movie zombie

ps daniel stair has an EC rhodie that i've been lusting for for some time........

airmanssweetie

Rough_Rock
thank you for your responses...I was thinking the same thing about the garnet...the wearability! What about the possibility of a yellow sapphire from AJS? Here are some that I like...
They are all "Almost Loupe Clean" and "heated" is that ok? I''m trying and I have been searching to find out the answer myself; I know it deals with the color enhancement and the flaws

#1 http://www.ajsgems.com/gemstones/Sapphire/Yellow-Sapphire-2049216417-2046340416.html?sessionID=7QA-enu-NfTh4vPj

#2 http://www.ajsgems.com/gemstones/Sapphire/Yellow-Sapphire-1266217705-2046340416.html?sessionID=7QA-enu-NfTh4vPj

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it''s all a matter of how hard on a ring you are. My wife has a tourmaline Ering, and has never had a scratch on it. I''ve sold many garnets for e-rings, especially colorchange. But then there are people who bang the heck of their diamonds and need them recut too. It all depends on the person.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
How about this Royal Rhodolite material from ArtCutGems? I''m thinking of getting hubby a ring with this. It''s his birthstone.

RRhodOct.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
A sapphire will can stand up better to day to day wear for sure. But I think you might be ok with a garnet e-ring depending on how you wear it. Maybe you could wear it daily until you get married and than wear a band every day and the e-ring and band together when you go out, or are not working with your hands. The advise I got when I got my garnet was not to wear it if I was doing any more with my hands than typing.

Something elce to think about. I am not sure these stones are calibrated. Meaning that they may not fit stock settings. You have to look into that because a setting with a custom head might add extra expense.

Congrats on your engagement.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
gemrite.com has some pretty garnets too. I just bought a malaya from there and it''s pretty. Lauren the Partier got hers there too. I''m not sure if you saw her thread but her ring is BEAUTIFUL!!! (I''m still waiting for some more cash to set mine).

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Since you've read everything there is about the wearability, I'll just say that my picks of those four rhodolites would be #4 in terms of overall color and beauty, and #2 in terms of shape cause you say you have short hands (and shorter stone outlines tend to look better on short hands/fingers). #1 looks a bit washed out (although cut and outline seem nice), and #3 looks color zoned by rather poor cutting i.e. color distribution is not good.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 11:08:31 PM
Author: Fly Girl
How about this Royal Rhodolite material from ArtCutGems? I'm thinking of getting hubby a ring with this. It's his birthstone.
Mmmm, I have a Royal Rhodolite from artcutgems as well - there are photos of it on PS. They are even more beautiful than the normal Rhodolites in my opinion - I love the blue flash mine has.

I also highly recommend ArtCutGems - some of my finest stones have come from Richard. I am in the middle of buying a new one from him at the moment...

The ring in my avatar is a garnet and is my e-ring. I don't wear it 24/7, but I'm not frightened by it anymore! You can have them repolished if they chip a bit. Garnets don't have cleavage like a lot of other stones, so you're not going to split the stone in two (unless you try very hard). Really no e-ring should be worn 24/7 no matter what stone you have in it - wrecks the setting for a start!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results