shape
carat
color
clarity

Garnet e ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone like tension rings around here?

84b.jpg

25O13.jpg
52O13.jpg

gemprincess

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, thanks for all the helpful info and the links (very nice eye candy) much appreciated!
emteeth.gif

I love blue based and purple red stones, so even though the spinal, ruby and the peach, and orange are really beautiful, their warm tones wouldn''t suit my skin or the cool based colours that I wear. This is why I wanted deep reds and nothing with orange hues in it. I''m really fussy as I don''t like pink stones either.

I just love that color change garnet trillion
30.gif
and think that might be the gem of choice for my e-ring. Doesn''t sound like many of you are crazy about the green, I really love emeralds, shame they''re so brittle.

For my tastes etc...I love for the green emerald cut, for reds, I like the round shape but that trillion shape is very nice. In diamond shapes I love the emerald cut (elegant) and marquise and pear for that va va voom factor. lol I hate rb and tiffany setting, so as you can see now I don''t like common and is why if I went with a diamond I would be bored with it as that''s what every one has. For the change garnet or some stone funky like that I like modern and settings like bezel.

How much is a really good quality color change garnet?

Thanks Cat
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2006 12:38:02 AM
Author: gemprincess

How much is a really good quality color change garnet?

Prices sort of depend on size - over 1 ct is 'big' for clean stones and good color change is not too common. As far as I know the purple / violet change as this stone here has and green-blue to purple change are the most prized. As far as I can tell, $500/ct for small ones (around 1 ct) up to 1k/ct for 5cts or more (of which I haven't seen on offer in a few years!). There may be slightly less or more - this is just a ballpark.

In the end, I wonder if it would not be a lengthy endeavor to find a CC garnet trillion cut, especially if you would not trade in quality to for the shape right
32.gif
This, unless you have just found it
2.gif

[PS. the post was edited ... I didn't see there was a trillion cut CC garnet available around, and went on to say how unusual the shape is for good quality CC garnet. Oh well, maybe they are, but one all that is needed.]

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
What i appreciate about Richard M."s pictures, is that he actually went in trouble of shooting real pictures with real light changing, i know it''s not easy and takes a lot of time though.

Real_Light_Change.jpg

gemprincess

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate that too, as I was worried the color change garnets I have seen only look that colour under lamps (who is going to admire their ring under artifical light all day? lol) so I''m blown away by the ''natural'' color change in that stone. Thank you for posting that pic (thank you Richard M for taking that photo) and I have to tell you because of the other color change stone (trillion) I can''t get my mind of that color or the shape. The only thing I don''t like is the band is too thick on the side.

Thank you for the price guide and tip about the smaller stones having better color change, Valeria
1.gif
I can''t get over how affordable stunning color stones are..so under-valued in my opinion. I was joking to my FH that since I''m not getting a diamond, maybe he could still spend the same amount on me and buy me several different gem e-rings instead
2.gif
he didn''t think it was that funny.
4.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2006 11:30:04 PM

Thank you for the price guide and tip about the smaller stones having better color change, Valeria

Sorry for the confusing post
15.gif
... but this is not so. I doubt there is any relation between size and color change.

I only meant to say anythiing over 1 ct is good size for CC garnet - but stronger color change effect can come in any size just as well.

If you really want to do away with the diamond budget and under 2 cts is OK, how about Alexandrite? Not that I know where to find a comparably well cut trillion though.

Trillion-set rings don't have to have thick shanks - you could proably have any type of design you wanted adapted for a triangular stone (well, the design, not a ready-made ring).

This one below is somewhat on the 'obvious' side of design - pretty straight forward:

J121_2
Inventory No. J121 at Arnstein's

I liked the twisted shank of Irina's ring allot though - and there will not be too many rings like that! It isn't hard to imagine something like that thinner, twisting around a pink gold bezel holding the stone
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2006 11:04:37 AM
Author: Pricescope

This one with Antique feel to it, trillion misfit
Hm... The first scketch you posted looked allot more inspiring.

Btw. all this trillion news reminded me that #1. this ring will need a weddinga band near it, and #2 there is a particularly cool kind set with triangular diamonds throughout.

Like this one:

L-74173.jpg

I ma not very enchanted with this one below, but I liked allot the basic lines of the ring - especially that this one fits flush with a wedding band. The a trillion version of the other one - set now with a heart shape - is probably the nicest use of a triangular stone I found so far. Matter of taste though...

Newmarket%20Trillion%20Diamond%20Engagement%20Ring300.jpg
Custom%20Filigree%20Heart%20Diamond%20Ring300.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
?

UpdatePurple.JPG

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I like this eternity too, i guess we will add Suwa to Designer Page, too bad they dont sell on-line.

gemprincess

Rough_Rock
I love the trillion with the pink stone setting minus the pretty pink stone lol I also love that trillion enternity ring and yeah the heart stone looks better in that ring setting than the trillion. Not crazy about the other settings. Trillions in the right setting are so beautiful, had no idea. I love this board!
30.gif
Yes, I love Alexandrite but maybe I was looking in the wrong places because even the expensive ones didn''t seem to have really good color change or maybe it was me not knowing what to look for and wanting it to be perfect. But at least I know now that I do want the trillion shape and I do want a color change stone. You guys are just so helpful!
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2006 8:54:09 PM

I love Alexandrite but maybe I was looking in the wrong places because even the expensive ones didn''t seem to have really good color change

Without knowing what you have seen and what the expectations are... hard to tell. It is difficult to photograph color changes and few sellers attempt to.

When alexandite does get the honor of professional photography, the results get pretty close to nature. But sure enough, the special treatment is reserved to some over the top stuff. Like This Stone. Smaller with comparable color change should be out there, only no one bothers to take such pictures... so there is no way for me to refer to the goods in a post like this.

Some sellers make a point of listing large inventories online (try Multicolour and AJSgems), but even their best stones are not photographed in two lighting environments - colors are often applied via post processing. Now, unless these guys would get some high tech photo equipment (note sure what helps, really), it may have taken a year or two to produce decent photos of all that. And I may no be worth it for them.

Long story short: it may make a good guide to alex shopping to start a little incursion online. If you did want more than that, you may be surprised to be told that one or another stone does not meet your expectations! (anti-marketing ?!
5.gif
) It saves oodles of headache to put in words what you think you are seeing on the screen and ask ''is it so?'' About one in three the answer is ''not quite'' - perhaps to avoid returns, perhaps just as a form of good business practice... I did like the treatment, and this is why this long post got written.

Sure enough, I can''t see what local options may be there for you. And unless you want to take a trip to Europe, whatever is in my jeweler''s vault doesn''t help either. Online listings are easy to talk about
34.gif

gemprincess

Rough_Rock
Wow, that''s gorgeous but thankfully too big for my little hands at that price! LOL
I don''t think my local ones would have it either. So hmm online or Europe is my only option. I guess you''re right, I need to email them and ask. Failing that there is always a trip to Europe, where abouts would I need to go in Europe to see some stunners in person?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2006 9:36:09 PM
So hmm online or Europe is my only option.
No... most jewelers do not keep a huge inventory of color, but they can always source interesting things on relatively short notice. If you wanted to see some top notch alex. it would likely take asking around.

If you ever order something online, the return policy is key - as I would not expect pictures to be extremely relevant for these stones.

Btw. I kept looking for these two below for ages. Dunno about the right hand, but the one to the left looks very suitable for an unusual fancy shape (be it triangle or...).

You may want to look at the place ths one comes from: Mark Schneider''s

DoTrio.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last...

Trillion rings by Thomas Dailing - sapphire and two spinels (left to right):

THDailing.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results