shape
carat
color
clarity

GAL v.s. GIA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Do GAL certificates count just as much as GIA certificates?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I thought you meant GCAL, until I searched. It seems GAL is mentioned a bit, but never with confidence. No, GIA and AGS pretty well stand apart from all other certification....with some careful exceptions...which might even include GCAL, but not GAL.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Not with confidence meaning it''s not standard or has lax standards?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I''ve no personal experience to share. Like me, you can search and see what others have said. Here''s one. Hit search, select Rocky Talky to contstrain, enter GAL.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
I googled it and can''t find much on it either.

Gabes78

Rough_Rock
Personally I think that GIA has the highest standards. After all they are the ones that created the Diamond Grading System used by other jewelers. You can be pretty sure that a diamond that comes with a GIA grading report is a quality diamond. They set the standards by which diamonds and gemstones are graded and identified.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the trade, there''s only two labs which dealers will accept to base prices on a given grade. These are GIA and AGSL.

The second tier labs, such as IGI and EGL are not accepted by dealers, but more widely used than some of the lesser ones- such as GAL.

I feel that a dealer who offers reports which are not acceptable between dealers should educate the consumer about this subject.
It''s a shame, but many of the substandard labs pattern their names, and "certificates" to resemble a GIA report- purposefully attempting to confuse the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results