shape
carat
color
clarity

Gailey''s Pandora''s Box

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
So, I took the day off and played with the camera!

They say patience is a virtue, so for all my virtuous PS friends, here are the details of my Pandora''s Box (not all details are entered into my spreadsheet yet, but here goes:
First Row
Prehnite 15.84 cts - Oval Cabouchon, supplied by Jewels by Design
Morganite Pears, cut by Hans Jakob Klein e.k (stats to follow when I find them)
Amethyst 6.70 cts - 13 x 11 x 7.4mm, Rectangular Cushion cut by Hans Jakob Klein e.k
Peridot 2.13 cts - 6.43 x 8.46 x 5.25mm. Rectangular Antique Cushion cut by Peter Torraca
Amethyst 1.83 6.2 x 6.0 x 4.5mm. Square Antique Cushions Hans cut by Jakob Klein e.k

Second Row
Andesine Oval. Supplied by Jaqueline Kiffe (e-bay)
Sunstone Pear, cut by Steve Ewens
Citrine 6.50 cts - 14.0 x 11.0 Oval backgammon chequerboard, cut by Steve Ewens
Citrine 6.51 cts - 11.21 x 11.22 x 8.97. Asscher cut by Peter Torraca
Hessonite Garnet 3.57 cts - 9mm². Square Cushion, cut by Brad Payne

Third Row
S/Spinel 2.52 cts - 6.75 x 10.24 x 5.08. Long Oval cut by Peter Torraca
S/Spinel 2.35 cts - 7.42 x 7.43 x 5.05. Square Emerald cut by Peter Torraca
S/Spinel 4.26 9.13 mm² Square Emerald Cut Peter Torraca
Malaya Garnet 1.28 cts - 5.30 x 7.50 x 3.60mm. Step Cut Oval supplied by Multicolour
Topaz Oval E/Bay

Fourth Row
Imperial Topaz 4.00mm. Round Brilliants supplied by Forever Gemstones
Imperial Topaz 0.78 tcw - 4.10 mm. Round Brilliants supplied by Forever Gemstones
Tourmaline 2.34 cts - 8.07 x 8.08 x 5.48 mm. Square step crown, brilliant pavillion, cut by Peter Torraca
Malaya Garnet 1.23 cts - 6.20 x 6.20 x 4.50 mm. Step Cut Heart, supplied by Multicolour

And here''s another group shot. Some individuals to follow.

gaileys gems 02.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
So, I took the box outside and attempted some close-ups. The prehnite came out pretty well.

Prehnite 01.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Another prehnite shot. I am just mesmerised by this stone. Sometimes it''s green, sometimes more blue, always mysterious.

Prehnite 02.JPG

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I am so excited to see pictures. Your collection is wonderful!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I was particularly pleased with the shots of the Morganite pears. I just love these stones. They are my perfect shade of pink. When I picked them out, there were lots of Morganite to see, but only these ones had a slightly more peach shade to them.

Until I bought the box, the morganite pears were in a gem paper with the stats on the outside. Somehow, I''ve managed to mislay it, so can''t tell you the stats - but it will show up at some point.

Morganite pears 01.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Another shot of the morganite pears. I don''t think the marks on the stone on the right are inclusions, but can''t say for sure. Haven''t got the loupe yet!

Morganite pears 02.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 10:08:44 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I am so excited to see pictures. Your collection is wonderful!
Thank you LtlFirecracker. I think if I was to start again, the lineup in the box wouldn''t be quite the same. One or two should have gone back!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
We all have our learning stones. My best advice to a newbe would be not to start with an expensive stone like I did. Even with all my reading, I didn''t know what questions to ask. I learned that by having the stone for several weeks and seeing all of its beauty and flaws.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
OK, next up is my amethyst cushion. Not a particularly good shot and I was in two minds whether or not to post this. The colour looks dark and un-interesting, whereas IRL I see blue and magenta flashes. Not sure how to capture that, but I ran out of time and the camera ran out of battery! Look out for further updates of this stone!

Amethyst cushion 02.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 10:18:52 PM
We all have our learning stones. My best advice to a newbe would be not to start with an expensive stone like I did. Even with all my reading, I didn''t know what questions to ask. I learned that by having the stone for several weeks and seeing all of its beauty and flaws.
That''s really good advice! In fact, the oval topaz, was a real cheap stone from e-bay. I wasn''t under any illusions about it, but I thought it was around the size I wanted, but had no idea how to visualise the dimensions and weight and how it would look on the back of my hand. So from that perspective, it was worth what I paid for it!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Next up is the amethyst cushion pair. In this picture they look slightly different in colour. It''s not noticeable IRL. Like the ring stone they are destined for a rich yellow gold setting

Amethyst Cushion pair 02 01.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Skipping over a few stones here. I''ve missed my peridot because the shots came out terribly and not representative of what I see at all. That old green photography gremlin again.

Anyway onto a new photo of an old friend, which is how I introduced myself to Pricescope. It''s my wonderful citrine asscher cut by the very remarkable Mr Peter Torraca. I believe it''s the first Peter Torraca Asscher on Pricescope, but I may be wrong. It''s too deep for a ring stone, so it is destined for a pendant. I''m going to hang it on point with a rich raspberry rhodolite fan hanging from it (talks have begun for the rhodi). Watch this space!

Citrine Asscher 01.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Here was another contender for my anniversary ring. It''s a very sparkly hessonite garnet from Brad Payne aka The Gem Trader. It''s a gorgeous rich amontillado sherry colour IRL

Hessonite Garnet Brad Payne.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a stone that really and truly should have gone back. As you can see from the vendor''s shot, it bears little resemblance to my shot which is much more realistic. But it was one of my earliest stones and I was pretty much a gem virgin in those days. It''s still a pretty stone. Not destined for a project at this point.

citrine comparison shot.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I will not be posting any shots of the blue spinels. They are synthetic and as such not allowed, but if anyone wants to know how I came by them, just do a search for Isle of Capri.

Here''s my $50 topaz from e-bay. This was in the days before I recorded the stats, so I have to go hunting for them. Again, cheap stone bought purely to show me what a stone of that size would look like. All that being said, it is an incredibly sparkly not so little stone.

I don''t know about many of you, but I''m not much interested in carats. I am much more concerned with dimensions, especially as no two gems of the same weight but different variety are likely to weigh the same.

Topaz ebay.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
The individual shots of my tourmaline and the two sets of imperial topaz rounds were not as good as the cropped down version from the box shot. I''ll try harder another day. You''ve all seen a ton of pictures of my tourmaline, but the imperial topaz rounds are much more like the vendors original shots than mine.

tourmaline and topaz 01.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I should just say that in all the individual shots all the gem cases are tilted towards the camera. There was too much shadow if I tried to photograph them head on. Hence, the tilt windows you see in some shots.

I''m sure someone had some advice about fiddling with the white balance to improve photographing green stones. If anyone can remember that I''d love a quick reminder.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gaily, what a gorgeous collection you have. Will you ever set those beauties??? I really like those Morganite pears.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 11:25:07 PM
Author: Gailey
I should just say that in all the individual shots all the gem cases are tilted towards the camera. There was too much shadow if I tried to photograph them head on. Hence, the tilt windows you see in some shots.

I''m sure someone had some advice about fiddling with the white balance to improve photographing green stones. If anyone can remember that I''d love a quick reminder.

To get head on shots, I usually keep the camera fairly far from the stone (so light can get though) and use the zoom feature). Or I tilt the stone (this works better in a set stone) on its side and put the camera in front of the stone. The benefit of the second technique is that you can often place the camera on the table, and that will keep it steady.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, Gailey, I am in LOVE. The amethyst cushion, the citrine asscher, and the ebay topaz. Love love love.

I don''t pay attention to the carats either, instead I keep my little millimeter ruler by my keyboard so that I can measure out the dimensions on my finger. LOL!

I can''t wait to see the citrine asscher pendant. What is it''s personality in real life? I ask b/c I contemplated citrine when deciding on my asscher, and I''m really intrigued when seeing yours. Does it surprise you with some flashes of fire in certain lighting? I might need one now.
17.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 11:44:11 PM
Author: Linda W
Gaily, what a gorgeous collection you have. Will you ever set those beauties??? I really like those Morganite pears.
Thank you Linda.

Yes, in answer to your question, those destined for setting in order of importance are:
Pink tourmaline. That''s the money project and it''s important I get it right.
One of the stones that shall not be mentioned, will be a ring like Ellen''s
Morganie pears - simple earring jackets to go with my pearls and my diamond studs
Amethyst cushion ring and earrings. Rich yellow gold for both.
Prehnite. Definitely a ring, would like a diamond halo like Canuk, but we''ll see.
One of the stones that shall not be mentioned, will be a ring like Ellen''s

Oh, and my Malaya Garnet, that''s being set at the moment into a setting fashioned from my Isle of Capri ring setting.

I''m also hoping to put my e-ring back together again after the topaz has been re-cut.

That should keep me busy when I hang up my gardening clogs at the end of October.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 11:47:49 PM

Date: 7/19/2009 11:25:07 PM
Author: Gailey

To get head on shots, I usually keep the camera fairly far from the stone (so light can get though) and use the zoom feature). Or I tilt the stone (this works better in a set stone) on its side and put the camera in front of the stone. The benefit of the second technique is that you can often place the camera on the table, and that will keep it steady.
Thanks LtlF, now that I''ve figured out how to get around the crappy auto focus problem, I will give that a whirl.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 12:06:53 AM
Author: fierypyropixy
Oh, Gailey, I am in LOVE. The amethyst cushion, the citrine asscher, and the ebay topaz. Love love love.

I don''t pay attention to the carats either, instead I keep my little millimeter ruler by my keyboard so that I can measure out the dimensions on my finger. LOL!

I can''t wait to see the citrine asscher pendant. What is it''s personality in real life? I ask b/c I contemplated citrine when deciding on my asscher, and I''m really intrigued when seeing yours. Does it surprise you with some flashes of fire in certain lighting? I might need one now.
17.gif
Thank you FPP,

My citrine asscher is one amazing stone. It has a balance and symetry that I adore, but every time you move it you see all sorts of flashes and shades. I think asschers are cuts that need very little adornment.

My pendant project is a little ways off yet as the Rhodolite has to be sourced and cut. I am hoping it will be another jaw dropping project by the talented duo of Lisa Elser (who will supply the rough) and Peter Torraca who will cut the fan.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Gailey!!!! I love your AWESOME collection...you made my morning!!!!
36.gif

Lori

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful collection Gailey, and it looks like you''ll soon need a second Pandora''s box.
11.gif

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
Love the morganite...I have been looking for a simillar shade! Thanks for sharing.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gailey,
Thank you for taking the time to take individual pictures. I’m not sure if I can pick a favourite but I think it would be the phrenite. It has that lovely watery translucent look that I am very partial to. The “inclusions” on the morganite to the right look more like something was on your camera lense at that time. As for the amethyst, I have no idea how to capture the red and blue flash myself so it always ends up looking like a blah plain looking purple stone.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 1:41:06 AM
Author: loriken214
Thank you Gailey!!!! I love your AWESOME collection...you made my morning!!!!
36.gif

Lori
Why thank you Miss Lori, that''s a huge compliment coming from you. How are you feeling these days?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are all so gorgeous - I love the citrine asscher it''s fantastic!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 2:23:10 AM
Author: Lovinggems
Beautiful collection Gailey, and it looks like you''ll soon need a second Pandora''s box.
11.gif
LG, no - absolutely not. That box is plenty big enough. In fact, I toyed with the idea of getting the smaller one with 15 gem cases. I don''t want to become a serious collector of gems. What I want is the jewellery pieces I buy them for. Trouble is, I''ll see something I like and lose all my resolve! That being said, I hope I am much more discerning these days. There''s one or two stones in my case that may get relegated to empty loose gem cases if things get tight.

I''m not getting another gem case, I''m not getting another ...., I''m not ...........

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results