shape
carat
color
clarity

Gabi Tolkowsky - Tech vs Romance - Moscow Cut Conference

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The following is an Abstract of Gabi''s presentation.
It makes one stop and think. He makes some excellent points.

Sample Abstract

Diamond Report - Technical or Descriptive?

by Gabi S. Tolkowsky

a) The end Consumer: What are the major elements which make people take the decision to acquire a diamond?
Due to my numerous lectures given worldwide to consumers, and professionals alike, the "LIVE" conversations with them, their immediate reactions, their questions, comments, requests and their continuous "come backs", I will give such feedback to the audience.

b) Due to the internet and the multiple publications, our professional language spilled into common knowledge and is employed by the general public as such. Should our professional language adapt itself more towards descriptive senses such as "Rarity", "Beauty", "Dream", "Emotion", "Craftsmanship", "Art".

c) I do not Cut a diamond. The word ''Cut'' means in English: make an opening or a wound in something, with a sharp tool such as a knife or scissors:- To divide and remove something from something large;- To reduce something by removing material, etc
As a professional diamond-cutter-: I would say: "Divide" a diamond if necessary (cleaving, sawing, lasering).
As a professional diamond-bruter-: I would say: "Fashion" a shape, a form.
As a professional diamond-polisher-: I would say: "Fashion" a shape, a form, and will polish the surface by applying the "Style" of a "design" with precise "facets" or "Mirrors". Should our terminology be "Technical" or should it become more "Descriptive"? Should we have an internal, detailed Technical Diamond Report (for professional use only) and a descriptive external Diamond Report (to the attention of the consumer)?

d) What is Gemology, and what is a Gemologist. (Most of the popular dictionaries and encyclopedias do not refer to such entries).

e) What means the word - Modified or Variations?

f) What are the meanings of finish, make, proportions, cut grading, finish grading, major symmetry, minor symmetry.

g) New designs of polished diamonds are subject to very high expenses for protection purposes. The Gemological Laboratories should be able to maintain a complete and confidential library of past and future "Shapes and Styles'', and provide legal protection to creativity and invention as long as such are not yet reaching the open market.

h) New designs as well as past historical designs are presenting parameters which are not yet considered being conventional. (depth, table, crown, pavilion, cutlet, shape etc.) Should those be integrated into the general description "Fancies" or should the terminology "Fancy-Shape" be described as being "Natural shapes" (The craftsman protects symmetrically the natural outline of the individual natural rough diamond shape?).

Thank you.
Gabi Tolkowsky

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
http://www.cutstudy.com/conference/

BTW here is the link for info and registration
1.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Gabi is quite a character. He is a very engaging speaker, but he can be a bit long-winded. Once you get him going on one of these subjects, he just keeps going and going. But he does have a lot of good things to say.

I have spoken to him personally on issue g) and some of things he's suggesting are not really realistic. But he's right about patent litigation being very expensive. Gabi has at least ten patents for cut styles that I am aware of, so I can sympathize with his concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results