shape
carat
color
clarity

G SI1 or H SI2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Juiceman

Rough_Rock
which would you guys prefer(both diamonds are ideal cut or H&A). G, SI1 or H, SI2? These are the only diamonds within my budget. Also, In an ideal, how would a H SI2 hold up? Will it be hard to see the color and clarity flaws?

Thanks

2MACHO

Rough_Rock
You need to be sure the SI2 is eye clean before you buy it. It is possible to get SI2's that are eye clean but some may not be. I bought an H SI2 Ideal cut in a pear shape and it is very beautiful and eye clean.

Juiceman

Rough_Rock
thanks, I messed up in my post. I meant G SI2 vs a H SI1. In this case, is it better to go with a lower color, or a lower clarity? thanks

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
Normally I rate color more important than clarity because you can see it from a distance. But an SI2 is in a risky area -- especially if it is not an AGS or GIA cert. So I would say get the H/SI1. If you can examine them both, then you will get a better feeling about one and you can decide that way.

Is this in a store or online search? If it is at a store, you can nearly certainly get a better stone online for your budget.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
BTW, it is very likely that the H/SI1 will not reduce the beauty of those well cut diamonds.

2MACHO

Rough_Rock
I think you should go with a better color and lower clarity. As long as the ring is eye clean you will never be able to tell what the clarity is with the naked eye. Only you will know because you bought it!! The lower clarity will bring the price of the diamond down but I don't recommend buying a colorless diamond (DEF) unless you prefer having that, just remember you will pay for it! You really won't tell the difference if you get a G or H, they both face up very white.

student

Shiny_Rock
It will depend somewhat on whether you can see the diamonds before you buy, whether you can get pictures of the inclusions, whether you can get an independent appraisal before you buy, and, if you can't see the diamonds first, what the return policy is.

Juiceman

Rough_Rock
thanks for the advice. I haven't found any specific diamonds. Those are just the parameters I will use when doing the online searches. So do you guys think that if I go for a SI2, I should make sure it is AGS or GIA? I've been reading mixed opinions about the grade where color starts to show. Some people say it's G, some people say H.

Thanks

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
Not sure where the color will show when set. Depends on the setting. Probably H in the transitional point for a platinum setting or G if the person was an expert.

student

Shiny_Rock
There is no absolute answer as to the grade at which color starts to show. It depends on whether you look at the stone from the side or from the top, what it is next to, what the lighting is like, etc. The best thing to do is to go to a jeweler, ask to see stones of various colors, and see what your preference is, given the price differences. It is best if you can find a jeweler that will let you take the stones outside so you can see them in natural light.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
I got a "D". It was the only way to be sure :) But otherwise not too smart way to spend a budget.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results