shape
carat
color
clarity

G coloured side stones for a H colour centre 3 stone?

Sophie

Rough_Rock
I am considering a re-set for my H colour GIA round brilliant diamond.

Either a 3 stone with 2 smaller round diamonds either side or a 3 stone with a baguette diamond either side of the centre stone.

My question is will a G coloured round or G coloured baguette diamond make my H look slightly yellow? It looks nice and white on its own but unsure whether I should be looking for H's for the side stones too?

Any advice much appreciated :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an H center and G sides and I can't see any difference.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't imagine you'd be able to discern any noticeable difference between a larger H and a smaller G - they are both still in the near colourless range, so probably not likely ... but then.... there are people who are extremely colour sensitive - are you one of those people?

I'd suggest you see the colour difference in person between the stones before firming up. You'll probably be perfectly A-OK with it!

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
+1 - you need to go to a store and look at H and G diamonds side by side, just in case you are extra sensitive to color. Otherwise you won't notice any difference.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
You shouldn't see any difference at all. You would have to be super color sensitive to notice a difference, but if your concerned I would definitely take a look at the two colors side by side, but in a face up position. :))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it will be fine but it depends on your color sensitivity. I think G color step cuts will highlight whatever tint you perceive, compared to no diamond sides. If you see tint now, you will notice it more. If you do not see tint, then you won't notice it. Clear as mud? 8)

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a H colored RB center 3 stone w/ G colored RB sides--can't tell the difference w/ my eyes.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1336511253|3190405 said:
I think it will be fine but it depends on your color sensitivity. I think G color step cuts will highlight whatever tint you perceive, compared to no diamond sides. If you see tint now, you will notice it more. If you do not see tint, then you won't notice it. Clear as mud? 8)

To be clear I am NOT suggesting that you can see the difference between a GIA graded H and G. I am suggesting that sides stones that are step cut and RB side stones that are smaller than, say, .20ct handle light differently than larger RBs. The way that colorless step cuts and small RBs handle light and the way we perceive them means they tend to read "White" to the eye not matter their stated color**. The difference in optics may highlight body tint in an adjascent larger RB, for some people, and if there is body tint to see.

(**it is a little more complex than this for step cuts, but my opinion is that a G colored step cut will look very white, perhaps "whiter" than a comparable RB).

Sophie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your replies.

You have been really helpful!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't already have the stones, it would make more sense to buy H color stones. Why pay for higher priced side stones in a higher color when you can buy the color to match the center stone for less?!

MelbourneGirl

Rough_Rock
Just as some food for thought. Last week I purchased some side stones for my G cushion (doing a reset, I'm currently on a crazy spree, tragic i know). I wanted half moons but was convinced by my vendor that traps were a better option. Anyway - when they arrived they were so white next to my stone. I had to send them back which was really frustrating as I had spent over a month emailing back and forth asking lots of questions. I guess my point here is that I think you may find it best to actually have your centre stone with you when you try to match them. I know it's not always possible, and maybe it's much easier to match to rounds and that's why i had the problem. But I took the reccomendation of a much respected PS vendor and they were really really not right (I don't even consider myself to be color sensitive either). If you can try to take your stone to find matching ones. Just a thought. Good luck x

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results