shape
carat
color
clarity

Future fiance wants to go fancy! Oval on a $7-8K budget?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondDense|1478440796|4094452 said:
tyty333|1478432930|4094416 said:
DiamondDense|1478408830|4094387 said:

This looks decent...whats the lxw (size) color, clarity etc. Yekutiel is pretty good at finding decent stones.

The images from GOG look good to me. Its not one of my favorite faceting patterns in ovals but...this ring isnt for me so if
you like it I think the light return is decent.

The GOG/JA stone is 8.14x5.74...what is the Yekutiel stone?

link to Yekutiel's. he said he'll have it in-hand on Monday and will provide additional images.

http://idjewelry.com/oval-knd02468.html

the stats seems to read quite similar to the GOG/JA stone.

This has to be the same stone...do you put it on hold with JA? What was the JA price (its no longer up). I guess you'll have to wait and
see who gets to the stone first...Yekutiel or JA? This is not the same stone in the video you posted from Yekutiel.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1478443249|4094471 said:
DiamondDense|1478440796|4094452 said:
tyty333|1478432930|4094416 said:
DiamondDense|1478408830|4094387 said:

This looks decent...whats the lxw (size) color, clarity etc. Yekutiel is pretty good at finding decent stones.

The images from GOG look good to me. Its not one of my favorite faceting patterns in ovals but...this ring isnt for me so if
you like it I think the light return is decent.

The GOG/JA stone is 8.14x5.74...what is the Yekutiel stone?

link to Yekutiel's. he said he'll have it in-hand on Monday and will provide additional images.

http://idjewelry.com/oval-knd02468.html

the stats seems to read quite similar to the GOG/JA stone.

This has to be the same stone...do you put it on hold with JA? What was the JA price (its no longer up). I guess you'll have to wait and
see who gets to the stone first...Yekutiel or JA? This is not the same stone in the video you posted from Yekutiel.

OK now i'm confused. i put the JA stone on hold as i wanted the ASET. JA price was ~$6800.

Yektuiel told me he'd have the stone (in the video) in hand on Monday.

hmmm...maybe Yektutiel is talking about a different stone? weird.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is Yuketiel talking about the one that you posted the video on? The other thought may be that he beat JA to the stone. Yuketiel is sort
of a one man band (with help) and he might move a whole lot faster than JA. Not sure the time frame that JA request a stone
from the cutter (or whoever has it) and the time that you put it on hold. I guess we will see. Post the pictures when you get them.

When did Yuketiel say he'd have it by Monday?

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1478444243|4094482 said:
Is Yuketiel talking about the one that you posted the video on? The other thought may be that he beat JA to the stone. Yuketiel is sort
of a one man band (with help) and he might move a whole lot faster than JA. Not sure the time frame that JA request a stone
from the cutter (or whoever has it) and the time that you put it on hold. I guess we will see. Post the pictures when you get them.

When did Yuketiel say he'd have it by Monday?

I saw the stone on Yekutiel site, seemed to match the JA stone stat wise.

Then I asked him about it and he sent that video.

But you thought the video was different than the JA, no?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The JA/GOG stone is not the same stone that is on the video...the faceting pattern is way different plus I could see the
GIA number on the stone and it is not the same as the GIA number on the JA site for that stone (we're referring to the
CORRECTION: 1.21 H/VVS2 correct)?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe Yuketiel is bringing in the stone that is on the video?

Edit

Doh - just saw that you said he is bringing in the stone on the video. That is not the same stone from GOG/JA. The link you
provided from IDJ is the same stone but that is not the stone that is on the video. Ok, so I guess Yuketiel is bringing in the
stone on the video...do you have a link to that stone? Do you know the mm size on that stone...have you already posted it
and I just missed it?

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1478445764|4094494 said:
Maybe Yuketiel is bringing in the stone that is on the video?

Edit

Doh - just saw that you said he is bringing in the stone on the video. That is not the same stone from GOG/JA. The link you
provided from IDJ is the same stone but that is not the stone that is on the video. Ok, so I guess Yuketiel is bringing in the
stone on the video...do you have a link to that stone? Do you know the mm size on that stone...have you already posted it
and I just missed it?
Yep the video is the outlier here. I think he may have gotten confused.

Not sure what stone that video is referencing...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, well, we'll see tomorrow!

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
@tyty calling Yekutiel now. hopefully he has good news.

question: is there anything wrong with working with multiple vendors? i plan to give Jonathan a call at GOG as well.

thanks.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondDense|1478536848|4094803 said:

question: is there anything wrong with working with multiple vendors? i plan to give Jonathan a call at GOG as well.

thanks.

There's nothing wrong with reaching out to multiple vendors, but you should be aware of the fact that GOG and IDJ both have access to pretty much the same virtual inventory and can call in the same stones so it might be counterproductive to work with both of these vendors. However, if GOG already has something in their inventory that interests you, I find it reasonable to inquire about it. :wavey:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

thanks.

I dont know how other people feel and maybe others will respond but if a vendor is calling in stones for me (they have
to pay shipping/insurance to call them in... which can add up) I prefer to stick with one vendor. Now, if GOG or some
other vendor has a stone in their possession that you are interested in then by all means call them and inquire about it.
(I guess you would have to call to see if the stone is actually in their possession).

That's just my take on it...others may feel different. I think if I talked to 2 different vendors and they were both bringing
stones in for me, I would let them know that I was looking elsewhere as well. Only seems fair...I dont know what/how
vendors feel about this subject?

Let me know what Yekutiel has to say (or has images of).

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1478545202|4094860 said:

thanks.

I dont know how other people feel and maybe others will respond but if a vendor is calling in stones for me (they have
to pay shipping/insurance to call them in... which can add up) I prefer to stick with one vendor. Now, if GOG or some
other vendor has a stone in their possession that you are interested in then by all means call them and inquire about it.
(I guess you would have to call to see if the stone is actually in their possession).

That's just my take on it...others may feel different. I think if I talked to 2 different vendors and they were both bringing
stones in for me, I would let them know that I was looking elsewhere as well. Only seems fair...I dont know what/how
vendors feel about this subject?

Let me know what Yekutiel has to say (or has images of).

i'm sticking with Yekutiel. i liked his demeanor when we talked on the phone.

i'm not in LOVE with the faceting on the original stone, as you weren't either tyty, but i believe he's giving me a decent price on it if i do decide to go with that one.

but, i am also curious as to your thoughts on the three linked above. i'd like to compare 3-4 if possible and i think those might be worthy of looking into further.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondDense|1478542373|4094847 said:
three more to put in front of the experts.

going to have yekutiel get me more info on these if they pass the initial "PS test"

http://idjewelry.com/oval-plo940.html I didnt see any image of this one so cant really comment.

http://idjewelry.com/oval-bd13655.htmlI'm afraid of all the darkness in the center of this one.
Not a bow-tie but more like leakage/contrast. I'm sure Yuketiel will have an opinion one way or the other.

http://idjewelry.com/oval-bd13289.htmlI have nothing negative to say about this one.

yekutiel is also working on some images of the initial stone

we cleared up the issue with the video - completely wrong stone as we expected @tyty

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1478546153|4094869 said:

going to have yekutiel get me more info on these if they pass the initial "PS test"

http://idjewelry.com/oval-plo940.html I didnt see any image of this one so cant really comment.

http://idjewelry.com/oval-bd13655.htmlI'm afraid of all the darkness in the center of this one.
Not a bow-tie but more like leakage/contrast. I'm sure Yuketiel will have an opinion one way or the other.

http://idjewelry.com/oval-bd13289.htmlI have nothing negative to say about this one.

we cleared up the issue with the video - completely wrong stone as we expected @tyty

So here's a photo of what Yekutiel sent me.

I think this is the one with the faceting you weren't in love with.
media_49e542dae912160dd103947b673d6fd8_0.jpg

I think I'll request more information on the ones you just commented on too.

Thanks so much you've been so helpful!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondDense|1478546921|4094874 said:
tyty333|1478546153|4094869 said:

So here's a photo of what Yekutiel sent me.

I think this is the one with the faceting you weren't in love with.
media_49e542dae912160dd103947b673d6fd8_0.jpg

I think I'll request more information on the ones you just commented on too.

Thanks so much you've been so helpful!

It looks like a bright stone and looks to have good light return...faceting pattern isnt my cup of tea but doesnt mean there is anything
wrong with it.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Is the H, VVS2 the top diamond, or are they all the same? Hard to tell. I like the H, VVS2 better in the video.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondDense|1478566554|4094986 said:

In the first video it seemed like I was seeing more black than I like through the center. The second video did look better.

So, with these two for me* it would be a trade off between taking one with better light return but not a faceting pattern that
is more of what I like or taking a faceting pattern I like with less light return. OR...third option...keep looking...

Ask Yekutiel if it making a choice between these two which one would he take?

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1478608563|4095120 said:
DiamondDense|1478566554|4094986 said:

In the first video it seemed like I was seeing more black than I like through the center. The second video did look better.

So, with these two for me* it would be a trade off between taking one with better light return but not a faceting pattern that
is more of what I like or taking a faceting pattern I like with less light return. OR...third option...keep looking...

Ask Yekutiel if it making a choice between these two which one would he take?
i sort of agree here.

i think he thinks both are pretty good and it's up to me.

not sure how far you can push it with these vendors before they get sick of dealing with a customer, but it is a large purchase and i want to get pretty close to exactly what i want.

i think i've narrowed it down fairly well:

8mm+ length
H+ color
1.34+ L/W ratio
8 main faceting
solid light return
max budget $7000 (i've since come down here b/c the Brian Gavin setting i want is somewhat spendy)

thoughts on the "keep looking option"?

Sunfish

Shiny_Rock
DiamondDense|1478608974|4095123 said:
not sure how far you can push it with these vendors before they get sick of dealing with a customer, but it is a large purchase and i want to get pretty close to exactly what i want.

In my opinion Yekutiel is some kind of a saint when it comes to customer service. I know this because I am an enormous pain in the @$$ client and he has never once turned me away when he very easily could have told me to move on. What I have learned about Yekutiel is that if you aren't happy, he isn't happy so don't settle just because you are worried that he might loose interest in you. It's an big purchase whether it's half a carat, or 4 carats and he knows that. So if you aren't 100% sold on the current options communicate that to him and he won't think twice, he will keep looking for you. He is pretty much the only vendor I use because of his customer service and patient demeanor.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do we have an aset on the one that has the 4 mains? I cant remember if it's in a link somewhere.

Have Yuketiel do an aset while he has the stone (if we dont have one yet).

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
Sunfish|1478610219|4095131 said:

In my opinion Yekutiel is some kind of a saint when it comes to customer service. I know this because I am an enormous pain in the @$$ client and he has never once turned me away when he very easily could have told me to move on. What I have learned about Yekutiel is that if you aren't happy, he isn't happy so don't settle just because you are worried that he might loose interest in you. It's an big purchase whether it's half a carat, or 4 carats and he knows that. So if you aren't 100% sold on the current options communicate that to him and he won't think twice, he will keep looking for you. He is pretty much the only vendor I use because of his customer service and patient demeanor.

good to hear. my time frame is "soon" as i want to have the ring in preparation for the holidays - but not yet urgent.

there are even a handful more i found on his site that i think might be able to compete (though i do wonder if it's a better use of both/all of our time to just let HIM pick)

http://idjewelry.com/oval-bd13376.html

http://idjewelry.com/oval-afx531-3.html

http://idjewelry.com/oval-mj429836.html

http://idjewelry.com/oval-mj474420.html

at least now i know which faceting i prefer so it narrows it down a bit.

and yekutiel has been great thus far. kind on the phone and quickly responding via text.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1478610630|4095134 said:
Do we have an aset on the one that has the 4 mains? I cant remember if it's in a link somewhere.

Have Yuketiel do an aset while he has the stone (if we dont have one yet).
yes, back on page 1 i believe.

but, i really agree with you re: 4 mains looking somewhat "messy" in the center.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondDense|1478610724|4095135 said:
Sunfish|1478610219|4095131 said:

good to hear. my time frame is "soon" as i want to have the ring in preparation for the holidays - but not yet urgent.

there are even a handful more i found on his site that i think might be able to compete (though i do wonder if it's a better use of both/all of our time to just let HIM pick)

http://idjewelry.com/oval-bd13376.html

http://idjewelry.com/oval-afx531-3.html

http://idjewelry.com/oval-mj429836.html

http://idjewelry.com/oval-mj474420.html

at least now i know which faceting i prefer so it narrows it down a bit.

and yekutiel has been great thus far. kind on the phone and quickly responding via text.

Yes, let him pick...tell him what you want
- minimum length you're hoping for (mm) with ratio
- want to see lots of red/green in the aset
- dont want a 4 main
- want to see a nice faceting pattern that feathers out nicely (doesnt go from a very chunky pattern of good light return to leakage)
- want the area of good light return in the middle to extend as far as possible to the north and south rounded ends

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results