shape
carat
color
clarity

Fur coats...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Hi hi...

So to specifically address the ethics of the vintage leopard:

On the one hand, it IS presumably from an era before leopards were an endangered species. However, how sure can you be of that? Presuming you can be sure, then what kind of a message does the coat send? My issue would be that in wearing it, I sent the message of "wearing exotic/endangered fur is OK/sexy/rich/fashionable," which is not a message I would like to bring back. Will people who see you wearing this coat who don't know much about fur automatically think, ah, it is vintage?

It IS a beautiful coat. Yes, it would have been more beautiful on the leopard. No, personally, it would squick me first because of the situation of the animal today and also because I own domestic felines. If I had a pet cow, I imagine leather would be a little harder as well.

ETA: re, myself and fur. I don't have any because a) can't afford anyway and b) am uncomfortable with the modern situation of how they are farmed. I do have leather shoes and a leather purse, because I don't see plastic as a much better alternative for the world as a whole, and I like leather dress shoes. I wish there were certified-humane leather though.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Although it does occur to me, once again (dead horse, cough cough)---

there is an element of hypocrisy in screaming about the evils of wearing fur while bedecked in jewels.

(human rights > animal rights, last time I checked?)

chicagohills

Rough_Rock
Ok, a lot of these posts are bringing me some serious lolz. Let me say that I do love all animals (goats, exotic cats, hamsters, roosters, tapirs, etc.) very much. I believe they are a gift and should be given respect. I also believe they are a resource. I personally feel worse throwing out a chicken burrito that I didn''t reeealy feeeel like ordering than, say... wearingthisfabulousvintagesilverfoxwrap at my glorious winter wedding.
There. I said it.

Diamond*Dana, My Nana had those same.... things in her closet when I was growing up. I can still see and feel their petrified little feet. *shivers*

"I enjoy watching living animals much more than I would enjoy wearing a bunch of dead animals sewn together".

Madam Bijoux, I really love your posts. They''re always so direct. I absolutely agree with this comment. Your short, sweet, and to the point comments combined with you wearing Mitsouko.... You''re my kind of lady.

"not a real fur fan at all. not a fur fan in general actually. it makes me think of an older generation for whatever reason".

Mara, I love the "older generation" I wear pearls and silk. <--- Please, don''t throw rocks at me for killing oysters and denying butterflies flight. I wear classic perfumes and all that old stuff, and you know what.... I look fabulous. I''m also 29. I guess to me the "older generation" is classier/more elegant/more refined than today''s.
3.gif

To the OP: I won''t throw paint. I promise.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/15/2007 4:32:48 AM
Author: chicagohills

''not a real fur fan at all. not a fur fan in general actually. it makes me think of an older generation for whatever reason''.

I love the ''older generation'' I wear pearls and silk. more elegant/more refined than today''s.
3.gif
Leaving aside the fur question for a minute, I totally agree. Going thru DH''s aunt''s belongings recently reminded me of this. Even her costume jewelry, from around the 1950''s and 1960''s is so classy. You could see the style trends - for the worse starting in the 1970s - in her belongings (because she never threw anything out). Plus you watch the old movies with Grace Kelly and all - they dressed so much classier, more feminine and beautiful. Now we all dress like slobs.
5.gif
Jeans with on-purpose holes, rips and wear in them...
14.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
OK. I'm going to try not to rant too much here.

Did anyone notice that coat is made in China (oh so known for their responsible and humane ecological conservation)

What is, I wondered, a lippi cat? A clearly slanted opinion, but well laid out and researched:

http://rantingkitty.blogspot.com/2005/03/essay-on-lippi-cat.html

Do a google search....you will quickly find that no one seems to know exactly what a "lippi cat" IS.

It's just not worth the chance. Yeah, animals ARE a resource. They'll be a resource to remind our children of what used to be wild and diverse in all its splendor on this planet once we've squared what's left into parks and reserves. Great cat species are some of the most threatened of all, because they require so much territory--and because they have such lovely, lovely fur.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My worry about wearing exotic - even old exotic - is that it perpetuates the idea that it is okay to wear such furs, and that in turn perpetuates the killing of increasingly endangered animals.

When UK Customs & Excise turn up exotic furs, they burn them so that they don''t get on the market and become either fashion or collectors items.

I''m extremely anti-fur, I turned down a job interview with Fendi for that reason.

I saw a polar-bear skin in an antique shop recently, and did go and stroke him. It was so sad - I have never seen such huge claws on anything.

Here in the UK, you would be risking a lot wearing that coat. People who do are likely to end up with chewing gum, paint etc over it.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/15/2007 8:55:00 PM
Author: Pandora II
My worry about wearing exotic - even old exotic - is that it perpetuates the idea that it is okay to wear such furs, and that in turn perpetuates the killing of increasingly endangered animals.

When UK Customs & Excise turn up exotic furs, they burn them so that they don''t get on the market and become either fashion or collectors items.

I''m extremely anti-fur, I turned down a job interview with Fendi for that reason.

I saw a polar-bear skin in an antique shop recently, and did go and stroke him. It was so sad - I have never seen such huge claws on anything.

Here in the UK, you would be risking a lot wearing that coat. People who do are likely to end up with chewing gum, paint etc over it.
Absolutely. It still shocks me how commonplace fur is here in Manhattan. Sure, in London you see the elderly Euro dames in mink, and the odd trim, but most fur is still fake in the UK. Part of that, I think, is because there is greater consideration for animal rights in the UK (fur farms banned; veal banned; foxhunting banned; tail docking/ear cropping banned) but I do think the weather plays a part, too. Tonight it is 25 degrees in NYC (-5c), so I can understand the temptation to wear a floor-length sable, but seriously, my quilted jacket is just as warm and chic.

As a bit of an irate digression, I am still blown away by women who wear gigantic fur coats while walking their miniature fluffy dog.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

In the US in more than a few states that could get someone legally shot by the victim for trying that.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock

I''ve seen that happen once in Dublin as well.

As a side-note, our biggest designer shop, Brown Thomas, has decided to stop selling fur from February. There have been pickets outside the store for months and I''m so happy that they''ve decided to stop selling it. It will make me want to shop there more.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/business/mheyauojojkf/

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2007 1:46:11 AM
Author: strmrdr

In the US in more than a few states that could get someone legally shot by the victim for trying that.

Thankfully we don't have much of a gun culture over here
3.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely love fur!
30.gif
It's the warmest stuff in the world and in 20-degree temperatures and lower, it's perfect.

Here are some facts about fur-farming in the US: Fur Facts. Interesting!

Let's face it, in order to have a nice pelt, the animal must be well-treated and well-fed. Also, to say the animals are not used, except for their fur, is not entirely correct. Farmers will sell every part of the animal - the mink oil, the carcass for protein meal in animal/pet food, etc. Why waste something that can be sold?

What's important to me is to buy from sources that treat the animals well, do business in accordance with humane farming practices and don't engage in illegal practices. I don't think I would wear something of questionable origin and I wouldn't wear something illegally created. Of course I want a piece with excellent workmanship, which is a whole other topic!

Just like the problem with blood diamonds, getting fur from the right source is important.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
starry, with all due respect, the source you cite is one of the largest mink companies around. I wouldn''t expect their website to say anything else but that they treat their animals like royalty! It''s not in their best business interest to say anything otherwise, is it? So, not exactly an unbiased source is what I''m getting at.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2007 2:32:06 AM
Author: surfgirl
starry, with all due respect, the source you cite is one of the largest mink companies around. I wouldn't expect their website to say anything else but that they treat their animals like royalty! It's not in their best business interest to say anything otherwise, is it? So, not exactly an unbiased source is what I'm getting at.

I was just thinking that! If you're going to read up on where your fur comes from, at least read and article that's not written by a fur company.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2007 3:12:52 AM
Author: bee*
Date: 12/17/2007 2:32:06 AM

Author: surfgirl

starry, with all due respect, the source you cite is one of the largest mink companies around. I wouldn't expect their website to say anything else but that they treat their animals like royalty! It's not in their best business interest to say anything otherwise, is it? So, not exactly an unbiased source is what I'm getting at.

I was just thinking that! If you're going to read up on where your fur comes from, at least read and article that's not written by a fur company.
I can see your points, but there is some common economic sense that was missing in this discussion.

Poorly-treated, poorly-fed animals will yield less than perfect pelts. This is a money-loser. It is in the best economic interest of a farmer to give the animal the best life possible. Have you ever seen a mangy, starving fox? I have - right in the backyard. The fur is awful - thin, spotty, no luster - not something anyone would ever buy. A gorgeous Blackglama fur will come from some very healthy animals.

It is also in the best interest of the farmer to use/sell all parts of the animal. Why pay for disposal of something that can be sold instead.

A fur company doesn't need to lie about this stuff. And the fact remains that when it is really cold outside, fur is wonderful. It really keeps you warm.

Honestly what bothers me most about fur is some of the "culture". A fur coat can be a very haughty status symbol. Nothing irks me more than some pompous condescending woman using her fur coat to act like everyone else is a plebeian. That's just wrong.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
It doesn't make sense that they are kept in little cages but unfortunately that's what happens. I've just spent the last hour looking at heart wrenching stories about how they are kept. I'm not going to post the websites as some of them were just horrible but if you type anything about it into google you'll see them. I think that's the reason why many societys, including spca's kick up a huge fuss about fur and not about meat/leather. It's the way that they are killed and treated while they're alive that are awful.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2007 10:42:03 AM
Author: bee*
It doesn't make sense that they are kept in little cages but unfortunately that's what happens. I've just spent the last hour looking at heart wrenching stories about how they are kept. I'm not going to post the websites as some of them were just horrible but if you type anything about it into google you'll see them. I think that's the reason why many societys, including spca's kick up a huge fuss about fur and not about meat/leather. It's the way that they are killed and treated while they're alive that are awful.
Hi Bee. I agree with you that abject cruelty and inhumane treatment of animals is not right.

I think you will find stories on both sides of the fence though. You will find animal right groups who post about a handful of farms raising animals in deplorable conditions. It is clearly in the best interest of these groups to post this stuff for shock value in order to further their cause.

Is inhumane treatment the norm? That's the question. I think the fur farm associations would disagree.

I'm sure the treatment of animals depends on the country where the farm is also. Different places in the world have different values about animals, just as they have about human life.

What really makes me angry are animal rights activists who think they have the right to spit at or spray paint people who wear fur. Fearing for your personal safety when you are doing nothing illegal is not right. There's no higher moral ground in vandalizing personal property.

Again, I think it is the responsibility of the Buyer to know where the fur is coming from. By supporting farmers who treat animals well, the rogue farmers will be put out of business. Kinda the same mechanism as the Kimberly Process for diamonds.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s just a pity that it''s not very well regulated. I''ve spent half the afternoon looking up things about it (hehe anything to not actually study what I''m meant to for my exam
3.gif
). There seems to be some very vague laws surrounding fur farms which is a pity as if it was well regulated, things would be much better.
I definitely think that if you''re going to wear fur it''s great that you find out where it''s coming from. I also don''t agree with people vandalizing other peoples property, although I can see how angry people get that would make them want to do it. I suppose it''s the whole agree to disagree thing.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2007 12:51:14 PM
Author: VegasAngel

Date: 12/14/2007 12:43:23 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana

Date: 12/14/2007 11:01:44 AM

Date: 12/13/2007 11:13:13 PM
''For whatever reason, whenever I think fur, I think of those old shrug type of things, what did they call them, ''stoles'' or something like that. The kind with the head still attached. Talk about freaking out.''

You mean this? Ah yes, we found this in my FIL''s house after he moved to his new condo...not only is it sad, but it is very disgusting! They have CLAWS! Now anyone that knows me in real life is absolutely STUNNED that I even have these little guys living under my roof. The only reason that I do is because my mouthy 8 year old has let it be known that this is the only thing that I can use against him to get him to be more cooperative. As soon as I find something that is equally as effective, I am going to give them the proper burial that they deserve.

Blech, those are gross. Wasnt that style more like a scarf? I have never seem those with limbs attached.
14.gif
A stole is is more like a wrap, no? Like this: I kind of like the way it looks. I''m not knowledgeable in fur so I may be wrong about what is what. FTR I dont have any real fur items.
I have no idea what you would call this ''style'', but I would not be wearing one. I do not and would not personally own any real animal fur, it is just not my style and I am way too into the humane treatment of animals for this sort of thing. I just don''t know what to do with this! My late MIL had a mink coat, a very pretty one, that we ended up consigning because nobody in the family wanted it.
The damage is already done, kwim? I dont know how you would feel about this but you could always sell them & donate the money to an animal welfare organization.
I would have absolutely no problem with this at all, and I did look into selling it but they are only going for $9 on ebay if they sell at all. Seriously, who would want it?!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2007 2:34:04 PM
Author: Linda W
DD,

Egad, I remember those stoles. When my brother and I were little, we used to go to church with my parents. The women of the 1950''s used to wear those god awful things. It used to scare my brother and I. One lady used to sit in front of us. My brother and I used to stare at them, waiting for them to move. The poor little things.

Linda
Last year we had DH and my families over for Thanksgiving and I was hanging coats up in the closet when it caught my eye...I pulled it out to show my grandmother and my mom because it is known in my family how I am about animals (I pick up strays, feed the strays in the neighborhood, donate money to animal charities...you name it)...my grandmother put the thing around her shoulders and was modeling it for us...I seriously was getting sick to my stomach and begged her to remove them promptly!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2007 2:12:32 PM
Author: Cind11
Date: 12/14/2007 11:15:02 AM

Author: part gypsy

'So... by that standard, a sheep or cow is less worthy of living, because it's less .... magnificent? Less good-looking? Less beautiful and amazing in the wild? As for much less 'look at me' types of fur - do you think they're sanctionable?'

If you don't see the difference between wearing a leather coat made of the skin of a domesticated cow that is a by-product of the meat industry, and wearing the skin of an endangered animal, well, I don't know if I could explain it to you. Maybe you could get a gorilla hand ashtray to match it.

Nimana, as you said those who don't like fur eat meat this don't reply (you are the one censoring people, not us) but you asked opinions from those who do eat meat and wear leather (which I am in that category) what they think about wearing exotic (i.e. endangered and usually protected species) cat fur. You got it.

Vegas Angel, I don't expect everyone to agree with my views. I didn't say you don't belong, or you shouldn't post your views, but it made me have a realization that yes, maybe I don't belong in this forum.

It's hard to explain, but part of why we visit this forum is that we have a love for wonders of nature, that is in the form of these perfect mineral specimens taken from the earth, polished and faceted to be beautiful works of both art AND nature.

To me wonders like tropical forests, coral reefs, bird estuaries, and the creatures who live there are OTHER gems of this world, often more precious and far more rare than the gems we so value. I would like to believe that even if we cannot individually own them we would understand their value, or at least their right for existence, and that they will be here for my children and children's children.

A hypothetical question. If someone figured out that the profit from dismantling the Grand Canyon into 2 foot individual chunks and selling them as souveniers would bring in more profit than revenue from people visiting the park, is it the right decision to destroy the Grand Canyon because it is more profitable to do so?

I myself constantly struggle with my desire to possess, and the knowledge that some of the best things in life cannot be owned but it is our responsibility preserve them for all.

I wasn't going to post on this thread because the thought of wearing animal fur makes me incredibly sad, but you have summed up many of my thoughts perfectly.

Ditto.

I have several fur coats. All inherited and 'vintage.' One is silver fox, another is Persian embryonic lamb. The lamb makes my skin crawl, it's the most beautiful... but the most repellant. The fox looks warm and comfy... but then I can never bring myself to wear it. I have two more... but don't know what they are. Fur coats were very popular in the 50 and 60's... and that's when these were purchased.

Still I own them and haven't thrown them into a bonfire... so I guess I need to BEEP or get off the pot.

I could wear the fox to the NYE formal wedding, and it did cross my mind... but in the end, I just can't do it.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,

You are so right. They were so popular in the 50''s and 60''s. I just remembered my grandma had a mink stole. My grandpa bought it for her on their 50th wedding anniversary. She was so proud of it and wore it everywhere.

I used to think it was so soft as a kid, but now I know about those poor little animals, who gave up their life for that stole. Yuck!!! As a kid, you didn''t know about those things waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back then.

Linda

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/17/2007 11:49:29 PM

''For whatever reason, whenever I think fur, I think of those old shrug type of things, what did they call them, ''stoles'' or something like that. The kind with the head still attached. Talk about freaking out.''

You mean this? Ah yes, we found this in my FIL''s house after he moved to his new condo...not only is it sad, but it is very disgusting! They have CLAWS! Now anyone that knows me in real life is absolutely STUNNED that I even have these little guys living under my roof. The only reason that I do is because my mouthy 8 year old has let it be known that this is the only thing that I can use against him to get him to be more cooperative. As soon as I find something that is equally as effective, I am going to give them the proper burial that they deserve.

Blech, those are gross. Wasnt that style more like a scarf? I have never seem those with limbs attached.
14.gif
A stole is is more like a wrap, no? Like this: I kind of like the way it looks. I''m not knowledgeable in fur so I may be wrong about what is what. FTR I dont have any real fur items.
I have no idea what you would call this ''style'', but I would not be wearing one. I do not and would not personally own any real animal fur, it is just not my style and I am way too into the humane treatment of animals for this sort of thing. I just don''t know what to do with this! My late MIL had a mink coat, a very pretty one, that we ended up consigning because nobody in the family wanted it.
The damage is already done, kwim? I dont know how you would feel about this but you could always sell them & donate the money to an animal welfare organization.
I would have absolutely no problem with this at all, and I did look into selling it but they are only going for $9 on ebay if they sell at all. Seriously, who would want it?!
$9? Maybe you can do what the guy who caught his son smoking weed & sold his game did, put a story in your listing. Game sold for 9K. You could put how you found them, add the story about your mom trying them on & you getting sick to your stomach, & how vile & disgusting you think fur is & other reasons you dont like fur. I would add in the damage has already been done & put the money will go to XYZ organization. Yes, I''m being totally serious & not trying to mock you. I come across a lot of listings like this where the items sell for a lot more.

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
This thread has awakened a deep struggle I have had for years. As someone who is deeply involved with companion animal rescue/advocacy, I often ask myself, where is the line drawn?

After much thought and years of contemplation, I have developed much more reverence for all animals and more repsect for the gifts they provide us. I can''t seem to pull the trigger on being a full vegetarian but I approach eating meat as a delicacy and a treat to be savored and not abused, and fill my diet with mostly with meals based on complex carbs, fruits and vegetables.

I wear leather shoes because they are healthiest for my feet (leather breathes while plastic & vinyl do not) but I don''t overload on shoes. I get new black pumps when my old ones wear out. I re-sole my favorite leather boots because A. I adore them and B. It helps concerve.

Sometimes I become profoundly sad at the consumption of our society. Too many people, too many resources. How many cows does it take just to supply McDonalds with ONE day of hamburger meat???? Yikes. And it is a plain fact that the way animals are raised and slaughtered for meat and hide is horrendous. There are free-range meats and chickens available if you have a high-end grocer in your area. Those are better choices in terms of consideration for the animal''s quality of life before slaughter.

I am not perfect. I know some of my actions are hypocritical. Does anyone esle struggle with this?

And for the record, I find fur coats repulsive. And horribly out of touch. I live in a very affluent area of NYC and I rarely see women in fur--it''s deemed passe. No disrepsect--that''s my 2 cents.... That is why we live in America and make our own choices. I would NEVER heckle or harass someone in a fur garment. And I do not buy into the gorilla warfare tactics of some animal welfare organizations out there.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/18/2007 9:17:16 PM
Author: Apsara
This thread has awakened a deep struggle I have had for years. As someone who is deeply involved with companion animal rescue/advocacy, I often ask myself, where is the line drawn?

After much thought and years of contemplation, I have developed much more reverence for all animals and more repsect for the gifts they provide us. I can''t seem to pull the trigger on being a full vegetarian but I approach eating meat as a delicacy and a treat to be savored and not abused, and fill my diet with mostly with meals based on complex carbs, fruits and vegetables.

I wear leather shoes because they are healthiest for my feet (leather breathes while plastic & vinyl do not) but I don''t overload on shoes. I get new black pumps when my old ones wear out. I re-sole my favorite leather boots because A. I adore them and B. It helps concerve.

Sometimes I become profoundly sad at the consumption of our society. Too many people, too many resources. How many cows does it take just to supply McDonalds with ONE day of hamburger meat???? Yikes. And it is a plain fact that the way animals are raised and slaughtered for meat and hide is horrendous. There are free-range meats and chickens available if you have a high-end grocer in your area. Those are better choices in terms of consideration for the animal''s quality of life before slaughter.

I am not perfect. I know some of my actions are hypocritical. Does anyone esle struggle with this?

And for the record, I find fur coats repulsive. And horribly out of touch. I live in a very affluent area of NYC and I rarely see women in fur--it''s deemed passe. No disrepsect--that''s my 2 cents.... That is why we live in America and make our own choices. I would NEVER heckle or harass someone in a fur garment. And I do not buy into the gorilla warfare tactics of some animal welfare organizations out there.
I agree with you on all counts, but my mouth dropped a little when I read the line, "I live...in NYC and I rarely see women in fur..."

Fur is *everywhere* here. I live in Soho (wall-to-wall trims and vintage, from my observations) and can''t think of an area in Manhattan where the darned stuff isn''t prevalent. Maybe hipster Brooklyn is less saturated, but everywhere else... well, it makes me sad, too.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/18/2007 10:29:32 AM

Date: 12/17/2007 11:49:29 PM

14.gif
$9? Maybe you can do what the guy who caught his son smoking weed & sold his game did, put a story in your listing. Game sold for 9K. You could put how you found them, add the story about your mom trying them on & you getting sick to your stomach, & how vile & disgusting you think fur is & other reasons you dont like fur. I would add in the damage has already been done & put the money will go to XYZ organization. Yes, I''m being totally serious & not trying to mock you. I come across a lot of listings like this where the items sell for a lot more.
I didn''t think that you were mocking me, not at all! Gosh, I would love to do that but I am so bad at writing, not very creative at all! I have come across those listings as well. There is a local "no kill" animal shelter that I would love to donate the money too...I try to make a difference whenever I can (put change in a jar, visit the animal rescue site, always buy personal checks that support the ASPCA)...if anyone can come up with a creative listing, I will put them up on ebay for charity!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Trying to sort out the original question -

Is a vintage fur easier to buy (for the conscious'' sake) than a new fur? I''m going to go with yes. Personally, fur isn''t my thing, but if I were to own one, I''d choose a vintage one. My mom found one in a consignment shop years ago and looooves it. Considering it existed before PETA (or before people really thought much about animal rights), I figure you have two choices - wear it or bury it. Might as well wear it.

But new fur coat? That just seems a little over-the-top to me, especially given the emotional/gut response people have to furs these days. To me, fur is a vintage look, so why not actually buy the vintage piece.

I''m really afraid this is going to sound snarky, and I know that part of my feeling is based on my regional background - I''m sure that fur/animal patterns are very normal in metro areas - but I just don''t think animal patterns are attractive as clothing or outerwear, even if it''s 100% synthetic.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
And this may sound snarky, but many people would say that faux fur is tacky. My question is if you are against fur, why wear something that synthesizes it if you don''t want to perpetuate the notion that fur=luxury, unless you agree that the look is appealing? And if it is appealing, I would say that all the arguing about animals rights could be summed up into all the polution created by the factories that create this synthetic fur that is neither biodegradeable, and is often tested in beginning stages (sometimes on animals) as an allergen and to see if the paints or coatings causes any reactions to skin.

Animals truly are wonderous creatures no one will argue their long and healthy lives. But if anyone caught Boston Legal today (which I don''t get to watch all that often), I have to say that everyone''s perceived notions of environment and what is good and bad was certainly called into question as a matter of perspective.

There is nothing wrong with believing what you believe, but I am against hearing pious half statements by anyone, whether it happened here or not...but this topic tends to get a lot of that in general I feel.

The original poster''s question was likely only asnwered by about 1/8th of the comments. Sorry but I hate to see someone ask a specific question (with a caveat), and just get people vilifying them.

Maybe a seperate post about animal rights is more appropriate than a hijack? Just a thought...
emotion-18.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
IMHO, faux fur *is* tacky, and not great for the environment, either...and yes, I totally second the luxury=fur issue being reinforced by wearing it.

And yes, this was COMPLETELY thread-jacked and the OP hasn''t shown up for a good few pages, probably due to the mentions of chewing gum, paint, and *guns*! (although aimed the other way). Goodness.

RE: The *original* post, as I said, I do think this "lippi cat" she mentions in the Nieman''s ad is HIGHLY suspect, and I am not at all certain about wearing an vintage exotic cat fur, first and foremost because they are endangered now, followed by other reasons.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2007 1:28:34 AM
Author: Linda W
Gypsy,

You are so right. They were so popular in the 50''s and 60''s. I just remembered my grandma had a mink stole. My grandpa bought it for her on their 50th wedding anniversary. She was so proud of it and wore it everywhere.

I used to think it was so soft as a kid, but now I know about those poor little animals, who gave up their life for that stole. Yuck!!! As a kid, you didn''t know about those things waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back then.

Linda

I remember playing with these furs as a child, playing dress up and so forth too Linda. Didn''t know better.
2.gif

But we learn, as we grow ... both as individuals and as a society.

For the record: I have not sold these on consignment... because I don''t want to perpetuate fur wearing. Even a vintage fur, with the damage done, perpetuates the idea that wearing fur is okay. And I don''t think that it is.

I too am a hypocrite. I eat meat and wear leather shoes. It''s something that I am aware of.

I do not wear fake fur, or use it in my home. The ONLY thing I have that even approaches this catagory is a pair of fabric shoes with an animal print on them.

As for the OP being gone. I don''t think this thread is about her choices any longer... it''s evolve into a forum for discussing our views and sharing our experiences, and I think that''s perfectly acceptable, and see no reason to stop posting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results