shape
carat
color
clarity

Funny Furbaby Follies - Let's Share!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know how the saying goes, laughter is the best medicine. And with so many animal lovers on this forum, we all know how much our fur babies can make us laugh, or even just go :confused: :think: :roll: :lol:

So let's share our stories! Whether quirky, funny, obnoxious, confounding, whatever... give us your best cat, dog, shrimp, or squirrel ( ;-) ) stories! :D

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My parents have the most amazing cat right now, Millie. She's their soul cat for sure. I actually found her at the shelter myself, and one of the first things I noticed about her - couldn't help but notice! - was that she had such human eyes that grabbed you and communicated like she was inside your head. Freaky in a way, but captivating too!

Millie meows rarely, if ever. But she gets her point across better than any cat I've ever known, especially with those eyes. So it's winter. My parents have a wood stove, and my dad is the one who lights it up. Not always, but pretty often. My mom loves to stand next to it and get toasty. Well, Millie has taken to doing the same right alongside her! Not curled up either, rather standing, like my mom (but on four paws of course). Her Highne....er... Millie has come to expect this nice toasty fire and if there isn't one, she's not happy. As soon as she knows my Dad is home, she marches right over to it, plants herself next to it, and STARES at my dad. No blinking. Doesn't take them off of him. It's clear she is not taking no for an answer.

Needless to say, the cat gets her warm fire!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not necessarily funny but the reason I can't put out anything nice...my cats. They either break it or confiscate it for their own
use! Here is my cat Tazzy sleeping in my lovely wooden bowl from Whiteflash. Should I mention he is sleeping on top of oranges???

tazzy_in_wood_bowl.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1456931728|3998443 said:
Not necessarily funny but the reason I can't put out anything nice...my cats. They either break it or confiscate it for their own
use! Here is my cat Tazzy sleeping in my lovely wooden bowl from Whiteflash. Should I mention he is sleeping on top of oranges???

Oh, I think that's pretty funny tyty! :D Thank you for the day brightener, that's adorable!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HAHAHAHA :lol: One time, DH brought home takeout, made me a plate, brought it to me, and upon returning to the kitchen, found the container of lomein UPSIDE DOWN on the kitchen floor on top of a pile of lomein, while 2 of the cats were INHALING LOMEIN:lickout:! I heard DH let out a frustrated bellow, and I ran to the kitchen, saw the cats having the TIME OF THEIR LIVES :dance:, and just LMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank for starting this thread RainyDaze. A good laugh Is always a wonderful thing. My story is a little gross.

My brother has been very sick so I have spent a lot of time at the hospital recently My little furbaby has no problem with I take showers at night but has figured out if I shower in the morning and curl my hair there is a good chance I am leaving her for a few hours. This is never ever a good thing in her mind. A few weeks ago as I was standing in the shower with my back to her, she started banging on the glass shower door with her paws. As soon as I turned around and she realized she had my full attention she proceeded to poop on the rug right in front of the shower and then took off running. She definitely made her point about not being happy with her mom.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1456931728|3998443 said:

Too cute ... they probably feel good/therapeutic to roll around on. :lol:

I don't have any funny stories to pass along about my furbabies that strikes me at the moment; however, I do find it quite eery/interesting that there are SOOO many quirks that each of my pups (both adopted this past fall - one a german shepherd/beagle mix and the other a golden retreiver/yellow lab mix) does that some of my prior (now passed) furbabies did. Dare I say, it's almost like I have my passed-puppies back, which makes me both sad and happy at the same time.

For instance, my beagle (passed away for about 2 years now) used to chase the vacuum, barking at it and try to bite it when I'd run it. He would also be on my heels if I went somewhere (e.g., potty, kitchen for a drink, etc.). My GS/B does the exact same things; won't let me out of her sight, and terrorizes the vacuum as if it were an intruder. And I'm convinced my golden/lab mix is a reincarnation of my golden retriever (also passed about two years ago). They have almost identical personalities, and both were/are famous for carrying things out of the house to strategically place them in the back yard (like pillows, my wallet, etc.), or what's more fun, find other oddball things from outside to bring in the house ... like dead frogs :knockout: , random things that fell under the deck, etc.

Any my cat ... he just sits on his perch and watches the show like the King he (thinks he) is. :lol:

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My darling furbaby is a "little" anthropomorphised. When we come home from work - or when guests come over - she INSISTS on a hug. Not a pat-pat-pat behind the ears, but a genuine hug with her head on your shoulder and her paws around your neck whilst you hold her and hug her... And she will bark until she gets her hug. Not so good with guests who are scared of dogs, in other words, hahahahahaha....

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww Scandinavian - a hugging puppy!!!

Tyty :lol: :lol: :lol: laying on oranges? My kitty #2, aka the "gavon" will eat anything, and I mean ANYTHING (a nip of sauerkraut :?: ) but CITRUS! Even the sweetest citrus! The way she backs up when you hold an orange out to her :lol: I'm really considering saving orange peels and scattering them all over my kitchen countertops LOLOLOLOL!

Explain this to me. How is it that when the doorbell rings (usually Fedex or UPS delivery), if my gavon is upstairs, she has to run ahead of me down the stairs. Like, what are you going to do? Stare them down? BUT the kicker is, if she's ON the FIRST FLOOR, and the doorbell rings, she runs UP THE STAIRS - right past me as I'm hauling butt to get to the front door :shock: :-o :o :?: :?: :?:

Whenever there are strangers in the house, Kitty #1 crawls under the vanity in the master bath. The gavon can't fit. When we first moved in, and there were "strangers" in the house, I found her head and shoulders under the vanity, facing her big sister, with her big white booty hanging out. She is sooo smart though. I pulled her out, lifted the comforter up and slid her in, and told her to hide here from now on. From then on , every time we had visitors, Kitty #1 would be under the vanity, and there would be a large lump on my bed under the comforter!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scandinavian|1456939651|3998516 said:
My darling furbaby is a "little" anthropomorphised. When we come home from work - or when guests come over - she INSISTS on a hug. Not a pat-pat-pat behind the ears, but a genuine hug with her head on your shoulder and her paws around your neck whilst you hold her and hug her... And she will bark until she gets her hug. Not so good with guests who are scared of dogs, in other words, hahahahahaha....

That's so cute!

Pinto ...wonder whats up with the oranges? I have a cat that will eat almost anything too. Havent tried sauerkrat though! I have
another cat that wont eat anything but the dry stuff.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's funny until it's time to clean up. All lids now have a lid lock and the water to this room is shut off because he is obsessed with flushing.
**edited by moderator. Please do not post video links for your own privacy!**

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty - not funny, are you kidding! It’s the oranges that got me. And his expression…. “Yes, and...?” That look always cracks me up. I love how cats try to act nonchalant but it’s written all over their face or body language that they know that we know they’re nuts. I say that with love. :)

Tazzy is beautiful. He reminds me of my very first kittyluv. My mom let me pick her out from a box in a woman’s garage - I remember the Free Kittens sign. I was two, I think. I named her Porridge.

Pinto, you’ve got sly ones! With good taste! ;-)

Callie, OMG!! I was in public when I first read your story and I’m sure I got some looks. I burst out laughing! Can you imagine if she was a teenager with that personality? Seriously? Talk about SMART… and smartass too! :lol:

JoCo, I’m sorry for the loss of your beagle and golden. So interesting that your new furbabies do the same things as they did! My dog, Sugar, is always at my heels like yours was. It’s so annoying and yet, at the same time, endearing.

Scandinavian, ohhhh my gooshhh, the cute factor of that is killing me! I want a doggy hug like that - when can I come over!?!!

Matata, it’s a good thing they’re so darn lovable, right? I’ve found cats and water to be an entertaining mix. Sometimes it’s like they can’t figure out its existence.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I just realized that my current cat, AJ (short for Agent J) does something similar to what my mom's cat does with the wood stove.

He's a big lug in all ways. 14lbs. When he lays on the couch or the dog's bed, he sprawls out and takes over. He'll poke at toys and then pretty much thump down, like he's totally beat from that one swat. So he seems lazy, like he couldn't care less about much. But when it comes to his litterbox he is fastidious. If there's one clump of pee or a bit o' poo showing, he stands beside it and meows his most pitiful meow. Mind you, it's a huge tupperware box with like a bag and a half of litter, and I clean it daily or every-other. Usually I'll help a guy out, but if I don't, he will eventually go... after he's checked out the basement box to see if that's any better.

Too bad the human men in my house couldn't be more like him. :lol:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat, if you happen by this thread I hope you see this -

I don't want to threadjack Gypsy's thread, too sensitive a topic for that. But I just read your "Nothing" post and I am misty-eyed and heart-warmed. You're seriously one of my favorite posters. You never fail to make me laugh, and if it's not a laughing-topic, I'm always amazed at how you managed to reach deep, really deep, while somehow keeping it light, too. I just love your way with words, and you've got a gift for delivering a message or a lesson.

You could turn that post into a children's book for dealing with the loss and grief of a pet. The whole Nothing, and that closing line, is genius.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
rainydaze|1456974532|3998892 said:

I don't want to threadjack Gypsy's thread, too sensitive a topic for that. But I just read your "Nothing" post and I am misty-eyed and heart-warmed. You're seriously one of my favorite posters. You never fail to make me laugh, and if it's not a laughing-topic, I'm always amazed at how you managed to reach deep, really deep, while somehow keeping it light, too. I just love your way with words, and you've got a gift for delivering a message or a lesson.

You could turn that post into a children's book for dealing with the loss and grief of a pet. The whole Nothing, and that closing line, is genius.

Oh goodness, I came to tell a funny dog story and see this! How completely and utterly touching rainydaze, thank you so much! Maybe I will write that book and I will dedicate it to you!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My funny story is about our pitbull, Sadie Ann. She is gone now, but when she was here..JD got her as a puppy, years before we got together and she was spoiled. When JD and I started dating, Sadie didn't take to my being there, I suppose she thought I was encroaching on her territory or what have you. It took me a while to realize why I had a bruise on my forehead..until I woke up in the middle of the night and my face was smashed against the wall. She was laying between me and JD, w/her back against him and her legs braced against me, smushing me into the wall. Strong dog. Smart dog. Used her powers for evil, not for the good of mankind. Anyway, JD and I get married, move into this house. My dad and grampa cut a cat door into the basement door so we can keep it shut and the cats can go freely to the litterbox etc in the basement. Sadie was kenneled at night (and OH how she hated it, despised it, recoiled from it--and chewed the shit out of it and could escape from anything--we finally had to put rebar on the side of it and chain thru the door/side vents...this was in the Before tho..), in the basement or she would get into everything she possibly could during the night. One morning I got up to get ready for work and was standing at the fridge getting the milk out and I hear this thump and slide-y noise. I peer over the fridge door and I see Sadie's leg come thru the cat door..and pretty soon there's her other leg and her head! She's grunting, squeezing herself thru and I cleared my throat loudly. She freezes. Squints her eyes shut really hard but doesn't move. I said "Yanno, I can SEE you" and then reaaaaaal slow, stealthy-like, she baaaacks out of the cat door and I hear thumpthumpthumpthump as she tears back downstairs. I fling open the door and she's sitting at the bottom of the stairs, doing this little...I don't know..like a shuffle? Like aw shucks haw haw ya got me but not really aw gee..not looking at me, turning to look everywhere *but* in my eyes.

:rolleyes:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a grey and white cat named Opilio Jo. She's decided London is her person. She doesn't care one whit about me or JD, she adores kids and follows London everywhere-London does a special squeaky noise and Opilio will come running.

Opilio doesn't have front claws (yes I know, we didn't know what we know now). But-she has brought me snakes, mice, shrew, a mole and birds. The snakes and birds she usually brings into the house and they're not always dead-which isn't fun. She gets in trouble for the birds and snakes, I take them away and hope they live. She figured out how to get over the fence in the back, so we need to get something so she can't do that anymore. But anyway, so last year our neighbors were outside and they said, hey, we have a story about your little cat. Our tiny little clawless cat chased a wild turkey into their back shed and had it cornered in there! made a big ole mess. He got it out and he's like "I never SEEN such a thing! That little cat of yours is a hunter!" Wild turkeys are not small, so I was pretty impressed. Another neighbor across the alley came over after that had happened, and rang their doorbell and was like..soooo I swear I just saw something but I'm not sure if I imagined it..did you have a wild turkey in your shed? Neighbor says yes. Other neighbor says did I really watch a CAT chase it in there?! So they had this laugh about our little cat and her hunting prowess.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh so many.

Especially of Hally, my AV cat. She had many nicknames. One of them was "bat cat". She was an 8 pound terror to anything invading her territory.

When we lived in NJ we had a wood burning fireplace. We'd left the flue open and a bat had come in apparently while we were at the kitchen table eating dinner. The table had a view of the hall that linked the living room to the family room. And we watched as Hally chased the intruder from living room where it had entered and back. Again and again, Hally harried the bat, not allowing it to rest anywhere until it got tired and she started to catch up to it. Now, at first we had no idea this was going on. We were eating dinner. But after a while, the other cats started following Hally, following the bat. And the first thing we noticed was the thunder of 4 cats worth of beating feet on the hard wood floors. So at this point we look up and watch, slack jawed, as the bat flies through the hallway, with Hally behind it determination in every line of her body, and the other cats behind her. And then again, from the other direction, the bat... followed by Hally... followed by the other cats.

We were actually in shock so it took us a while to process and get up and DO SOMETHING and save the BAT from HALLY.We easily corralled other cats behind a locked door, but not Hally. She kept chasing that bat for all she was worth. So we opened the front and back doors and let her chase it out. She was damned close to catching it too at the end. And she had such a look of satisfaction when it flew out of the house. We had to scoop her up to keep her from going after it though.

I've mocked up a partial floorplan so you can see what I mean. With cat prints along the path she chased the bat. She was determined she would catch the enemy in her territory.

She was one of a kind and they broke the mold.

nj_house.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ditto this. And feel free to hijack my threads.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this thread. Thank you for starting it rainy daze.

Here are a few.

Billy in my parents freezer. Not sure how he did that I was away and my parents were watching him. You know it's hard to get someone you trust to watch our furbabies LOL. I'm away and somehow he gets into the freezer. Amazing my sister and I made it to adulthood. :lol:

billyfreezer_0.jpg

Francesca loves to get into everything (don't all our kitties LOL) and somehow we managed to get this pic of her when she was little. So adorable and thank goodness she weighed next to nothing or it might have been a disaster.

frankieonblinds_0.jpg

Then there was the time she went on my paper mache tiger. LOL she definitely weighed more than the tiger yet somehow she managed not to topple it over.

panther_or_tiger.jpg

And here's a pic of her (not really) levitating. Cool right? My dh made frankie appliqués from this photo and we hand it out to all the rescue people and all the cat people we run across. He has them on almost every Tshirt and some jackets too and I have them on my workout Ts and a jacket as well. Our Frankie logos.

frankielevitating.jpg

and the logo we made from that pic.

frankieonshirt_0.jpg

LOL Billy and Butch used to sneak attack each other and knock each other down. The cutest thing to watch. They would hide, lurk and then sneak attack catching the other by surprise. I have video of that but no pics.

Tommy and his cone of silence. He jumped from the stereo speaker and it hit and broke his tail. Poor baby and definitely not funny. But he kept it hidden from us that day as he hid and I couldn't find him so didn't realize he hurt himself so badly. But when I fed them later oh boy it didn't affect his appetite thank goodness and we saw the blood trail. Rushed him to the animal hospital and they took care of him and we needed to keep the "Cone of Silence" on him so he wouldn't try to get the bandages off his tail. Well let's just say he was miserable and we had to remove the cone of silence in a few days even though it took many weeks for the tail to heal properly. Glad to say he is A-OK and his tail is as good as new!

tommy_s_cone_of_silence.jpg

Oh and then there's Fred in the car. We transport our kitties back and forth with us in their carriers whenever we go to the beach house. All 4 of them always come with us. Anyway one time we made the mistake of letting Fred out of his carrier because he was just howling and I couldn't take it anymore. Umm not a good idea. LOL. Princess Francesca however always sits on my lap during the car rides as she gets car sick and vomits if she cannot sit in my lap. No pics of that however. :knockout: :bigsmile:

fredincar.jpg

Oh and here Francesca is attacking my water shoes. Not unique but I just find it so amusing when she starts attacking inanimate objects. I keep her away from my expensive boots don't worry. :lol:

francescaattackingmywatershoes.jpg

and not funny but I love the way they sit in the window getting the sun and air. So sweet.

francescaexerciseroomwindow.jpg

And all of them love to workout with me. NOT. 8-)

Frankie on the treadmill but amazingly she keeps her sweet figure with hardly breaking a sweat. :halo:
frankieworkingouttokeephercutefigure.jpg

Fred doing pilates. Deep in concentration. :sun:
fredworkingout.jpg

Many more stories but I am out of time. Thank you all for sharing. These stories are brightening my day. :love:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't think of any stories as good as these this morning, but I will say that my cat, SAM, is a real trooper. He showed up here skin & bones and covered with cuts. A huge tom-cat head and a skinny beat-up body. As some of you know I have a ton of animals here and did not want another cat.
I put him in the chicken coop until I could figure out what to do with him. Within an hour he was back at the door - had chewed through the chicken wire. I tried to give him to the cat rescue and they would not take him, so I had him neutered while "situation pending". When I brought him home to care for him after surgery, I fell in love. His persistence paid off. dsc04606_0.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous baby blues Jimmianne! He picked you to be his mommy...what a smart kitty he is!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne said:
I can't think of any stories as good as these this morning, but I will say that my cat, SAM, is a real trooper. He showed up here skin & bones and covered with cuts. A huge tom-cat head and a skinny beat-up body. As some of you know I have a ton of animals here and did not want another cat.
I put him in the chicken coop until I could figure out what to do with him. Within an hour he was back at the door - had chewed through the chicken wire. I tried to give him to the cat rescue and they would not take him, so I had him neutered while "situation pending". When I brought him home to care for him after surgery, I fell in love. His persistence paid off. dsc04606_0.jpg

tyty333|1457007777|3999032 said:
Gorgeous baby blues Jimmianne! He picked you to be his mommy...what a smart kitty he is!

Smart kitty indeed!!! :appl: :love:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy, Levitating Francesca is a riot. Did you know the pic would come out like that, eyes and all? I love what you did with it!!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1457006644|3999029 said:

Oh my gosh, those blue eyes! So happy he got through to you! :D ;-)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gyspy, I've got a such a great mental image of Hally and her intrigued/confused subordinates chasing/following that bat. I would have loved to have seen it! Lol, I bet her expression in your avatar pic can fit so many of your stories... such as "Uh, hello?! Are you not aware there is a BAT flying around my house right now?! You're just gonna sit there and eat your DINNER?"

I have a bat story too, although it's the complete opposite. DH and I adopted two kitties early on in our relationship. Pumpkin' and Buster. A woman had seven females give birth around the same time, she had a kitchen full of kittens. I sat down and waited for one to tumble over to me, and when she curled up in my hands and went to sleep I knew I had mine. DH essentially did the same. We'd like to think they were sisters (yes, Buster was a girl). Anyway, we got them quite young of course and clearly they'd not had time to be taught to hunt, nor did they inherit the gene. A bat got into our first-floor apartment, we think from the basement, and the two of them just lamely followed it around and stared at it. I think there was an attempt at a poke or two, but the bat was able to calmly find his way out of the door we opened for him.... no threat whatsoever from the fluffy orange dustballs currently giving themselves a bath in favor of saving mommy's life!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would come home everyday to find ALL the cabinets and doors open. She knows how to hook the door handle to open just about every door. :bigsmile: I had to buy and use the childproof locks for the cabinets that has cleaning supplies.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes, when I'm on the "royal throne", the baby (aka kitty #3) will prop herself up with one paw on my knee, and stroke/pat my cheek (on my face :shifty: :Up_to_something: ) with her other paw. It's such a sweet gesture. I sometimes wonder what's going through her mind... "mama, i love you..." or "poor mama, no sand in your box :nono: " HAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1456977225|3998913 said:

Oh goodness, I came to tell a funny dog story and see this! How completely and utterly touching rainydaze, thank you so much! Maybe I will write that book and I will dedicate it to you!

Or better yet, to Hally and Sadie Ann! :D

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1457013842|3999063 said:
I would come home everyday to find ALL the cabinets and doors open. She knows how to hook the door handle to open just about every door. :bigsmile: I had to buy and use the childproof locks for the cabinets that has cleaning supplies.

:shock: :-o Gotta admit, my first thought would have been omg, we have to move, ghosts *are* real!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results