shape
carat
color
clarity

Frustration with quality control - can I vent?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a PS vendor (PS vendor? Dunno. Popular vendor on PS, anyway) make me a bracelet some weeks ago.

It arrived on schedule, beautiful bezels, beautiful chains. One small problem: the chains were attached such that one bezel always faced up and the other always faced down, and if I wanted both to face up at the same time the one of the chains had to twist. I explained the problem and sent it back last Monday.

I received the 'fixed' item yesterday. The original problem is fixed, and a new one of much the same type has been introduced: the chains on the double-strand cross in the natural configuration, and there is no way to make them un-cross without twisting the other side!

It's been a long, tiresome week - I lost my grandmother, despite my best efforts it doesn't look like the move to Albany is going to work out and there's nothing more I could have done, but I feel horribly guilty anyway, and I was really looking forward to getting this bracelet back - it was the week's Good Thing. And I'm so frustrated that this passed quality control - I was assured by the head of the operation that it was personally inspected, and yet - there's the problem, clear as day! I almost broke down at the fedex facility. Yes, it's a simple little thing, and a stupid little thing to be getting so emotional about, but I paid a not-stupidly-little amount of money for it - and a vendor that prides itself on quality of pieces produced should not be making simple little mistakes like this - twice in a row on the same piece...

GAH.

Well, here's to hoping the local jeweller I took it to in exasperation can fix it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this was the original issue - when chains were straight one bezel turned upside down, the other was right side up

https://www.pricescope.com/files/images/Bracelet Chain Turn.jpg

and this is the new problem - chains come out of the jump ring on one side in A-B-C order, and in B-A-C order from the other, and there is no way to make them come out A-B-C- or B-A-C from both - they'll always cross. Can anyone tell me a better/clearer way to describe it when I talk to the vendor on Monday?

https://www.pricescope.com/files/images/One_mod.jpg

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Hi Yssie, so sorry to hear about your grandmother.

How frustrating about the bracelet. I would be annoyed with such an oversight on their part as well. I think that you have explained it well. The only other description that I could add is that the two finer chains, (on the left hand side of the bracelet when the thicker chain is on top) need to be rethreaded onto the jump ring in the opposite order to uncross them.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks HOT. It's been a long week!

hawaiianorangetree said:
How frustrating about the bracelet. I would be annoyed with such an oversight on their part as well. I think that you have explained it well. The only other description that I could add is that the two finer chains, (on the left hand side of the bracelet when the thicker chain is on top) need to be rethreaded onto the jump ring in the opposite order to uncross them.

That's it exactly - I've copied this right into my email.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Ditto HOT. Just looks like the two thin chains need to be rehooked. That is really a stupid oversight on the vendors part. I'd be pretty peeved too.

I'm sorry for your loss, Yssie.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ss - both my parents have gone to India for the services. She was ill for a long time, so it wasn't exactly a huge surprise... still a shock, though.

I'm really irritated - if someone, anyone, at any point had just put it on a table and *looked* at it it would've been caught. Obviously noone did this, despite the assurance that it was carefully checked over. If the local place doesn't fix it my POA is to cut the things myself and take it in and say "solder here"!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie, I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Even when it's not a shock it is still difficult. Hugs to you and your family.

I would be displeased with the lack of quality control on your bracelet. After returning it once you would think they would make a major effort to make sure it's right before the send it to you.

supergirl10

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for your loss Yssie, I have nothing helpful to add except that it would be a very frustrating situation!

Despite that when it is fixed it will be a beautiful bracelet! :love:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for your loss Yssie.. the bracelet should be an easy fix.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yssie I am sorry to hear this (both about your rough week and about the bracelet!) it should be an easy fix BUT it should have been right the first time.

although I must say I am glad to see you back :wavey:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie -- I'm sorry you've had such a horrible week. I'm sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing.

I don't know what else to say except that I hope your local jeweler can fix the problem on your bracelet. It's a beautiful one!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What a frustrating & stupid transaction, Yssie. Plus you're out the postage back & forth & forth & back! But it's a good thing it's easy enough to fix locally & have it over with. Neat bracelet, btw.

I'm sorry about your grandmother too. It hurts to lose someone special.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
First off Yssie- so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Even if she was I'll for a while- it's never an easy thing to accept.

Secondly-that really stinks about your bracelet. Hopefully they will be more aware in the future, but unfortunately they may gave lost you as a customer.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry Yssie. I understand your frustration. I would be nice in a week like that to have just one little thing be a bright spot.

It is a small thing for a vendor to get right. I would be mad too. I am so sorry about your grandmother.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, let's face it, they have been having some issues lately and you aren't the first. The pair of earrings that had different size bezels was another. And someone's 5 stone ring was not correct the first time and came back with new issues. My pendant came with full milgrain when I specifically specified inside-only and it was verified that the work order was correct. I guess I was the lucky one because my error turned out well. I think my surprise is that PS member orders aren't checked and double-checked before they are sent out because they know we are particular AND we post about our items.

So sorry about your grandmother and other difficulties this week, Yssie. {{{{hugs}}}}

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1308510882|2949622 said:
Well, let's face it, they have been having some issues lately and you aren't the first. The pair of earrings that had different size bezels was another. And someone's 5 stone ring was not correct the first time and came back with new issues. My pendant came with full milgrain when I specifically specified inside-only and it was verified that the work order was correct. I guess I was the lucky one because my error turned out well. I think my surprise is that PS member orders aren't checked and double-checked before they are sent out because they know we are particular AND we post about our items.

So sorry about your grandmother and other difficulties this week, Yssie. {{{{hugs}}}}

Very true. PS members post their rave reviews, but also their frustration and PS is a powerful thing when it comes to the impact on vendors.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy, supergirl, DF, slg, Zoe, JF, Amy, luv, DS - thank you for your thoughts.

I've been calling my family in India pretty regularly, esp. once she was admitted to the hospital the first time a few weeks ago... I last called exactly eight days before she passed. She was asleep, and they offered to wake her but I told them not to and that I'd just try again later.

I didn't call again for eight days - I was in upstate NY for interviews that week that usurped my every waking thought (that's a tale for another thread!) - and my mum called me was I was driving back to my hotel from the last one to tell me she'd slipped into a coma, and that the prognosis wasn't good.

Well - she'd been sick for *years* and she was still there, she'd been in and out of hospital for weeks and she still recovered every time, so I'm ashamed to admit I didn't worry too much - and, well, she didn't. I'm still kicking myself for not having them just wake her up to talk.

My dad is a mess, unsurprisingly :(sad

marcy, super, DF - yes, the fact that it's such a little problem highlights the fact that the only possible explanation is carelessness borne of haste - twice in a row!

slg - ::)

Zoe - I hope so! If not at least I can go in and explain in-person...

JF - Thank you! It was fun to dream up. They did pay for shipping, no questions asked, so okay on that front... I'm hoping they are open to the reimbursement deal I suggested Friday for getting it fixed locally - cheaper for them than shipping, too, I should think.

luv - oh, that's it exactly. Hopefully next week will be less - eventful, in every way.

Amy, DS - I remember those threads - spelt out like that it is a damning list. Growing pains, I guess! They certainly do lovely work - the bezels are nicely made, and the custom ring I had them make for MIL several months ago is lovely, but at this point it's pretty clear that they desperately need to invest in more eyes and hands. At this point I honestly won't feel comfortable recommending them for anything but loose stones until we hear of progress.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Sometimes its the tangible things we love that get us through a big loss in our life and when there is a problem with the jewelry its hard to find the calm that the piece can give its not perfect.i get your need to have this piece perfect.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie- I just had a great experience with them, but it wasnt custom work- it is the huggies that now jumped in price by $75 overnight.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie I'm sorry for your rough week with job stuff and the loss of your grandma. This is a nice "icing" for sure :rolleyes: Do you think you will just fix it locally? I'd be tempted.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you jewelerman, Dreamer. It's also comforting to know that PSers *get it*.

Dreamer - yeah - I'm expecting it's a snap to get it fixed locally, and I'm hoping they won't be a PITA about reimbursing me for it. I don't anticipate trouble, as I should think they're about as eager to continue with this project as I am to mail it back to them!

Amy - yes, I suppose I should add RSG pieces to that list! Though the price hike is a blow.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry you lost your grandmother yssie. May she rest in peace.

I'm sure that all the other bad stuff this week made this last thing the last straw. When it rains, it pours etc etc.

I hope your jeweller can sort it all out. Dust to you!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother, Yssie.

I hope the bracelet is fixed to your satisfaction, soon.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Rosetta and Trekkie.

I just talked to the vendor, and he is certain that all was well when it left the shop. I simply don't see how it can be untangled, but maybe my mechanical engineer husband will be able to figure it out. I am really *hoping* that is the case - egg on my face and all!

Otherwise they have agreed to reimburse getting it done locally.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update:

DH couldn't get it unraveled, so he made the executive decision to take it in and get it snipped. Apparently the whole operation took ten minutes :))

And.. it's home, safe and sound, on my wrist, and I am in love all over again! A tiny part of me is disappointed that I'll never know how/if it worked - but really, I'm just glad to have it back. It does get tangled - I haven't managed to reproduce that particular configuration, but now no matter what at least I know for sure that it's undo-able 8)

hurrah for happy endings!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1308688553|2951265 said:
Update:

DH couldn't get it unraveled, so he made the executive decision to take it in and get it snipped. Apparently the whole operation took ten minutes :))

And.. it's home, safe and sound, on my wrist, and I am in love all over again! A tiny part of me is disappointed that I'll never know how/if it worked - but really, I'm just glad to have it back. It does get tangled - I haven't managed to reproduce that particular configuration, but now no matter what at least I know for sure that it's undo-able 8)

I'm sort of sure you're talking about the bracelet, right? :cheeky:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hah, I sure hope so!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
heraanderson|1308698579|2951387 said:
Yssie|1308688553|2951265 said:
Update:

I'm sort of sure you're talking about the bracelet, right? :cheeky:

SNORT. Glad it's all fixed up!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results