shape
carat
color
clarity

Frustrating situation......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys,

I haven’t been around lately due to a frustrating problem I’m having with my engagement ring.
I’m not sure what to do about it. Hopefully you guys will have some suggestions.

I had a setting and wedding band made by Carl Messler and while I was happy with it, I wanted to have the prongs worked on to make it less bulky. Well when I got the ring back from the jeweler, I was dismayed to find that the diamond was set crooked. When my husband and I looked it over we realized the entire head of the ring was crooked. The jeweler offered to send it back to Carl Messler to work on it. Fine, so 6 weeks later the ring returned with several different problems. The biggest problem being that the head was too small to fit my diamond properly.

At this point my husband and I were beyond frustrated. The jeweler offered to give us our money back or go with a Martin Flyer setting I liked as well. We decided to go with the Martin Flyer setting. The jeweler sent my wedding band to Martin Flyer so that they could try to match it to my wedding band as much as possible. We also had to pay an additional 1600.00 to our original 3500.00 for this setting.

A few days ago the Martin Flyer setting finally came in after 3 weeks of torturous waiting. We were really excited to have this done and over with! I went in and took one look at the setting and just wanted to cry. While everything about the ring is perfect the head is not the correct shape. What I mean by the head not being the correct shape is that the corners of the head are too long. It just does not look right. I left my diamond with the jeweler to have it set hoping that it will look better with the diamond set in it but I just can’t get myself to go pick up something I am truly unhappy with. I keep telling myself that I’ll probably get used to it but for 5K I should not have to “get used to it”. Or am I just overreacting?

I just don’t know how to proceed from here. My husband is not very happy about the situation either…..I’m not sure what our options are at this point…..I guess I’m just venting a bit also. Thanks for listening and letting me vent.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry you''re having so much trouble. Did you mention the corners? I''m asking just so the jeweler may know you won''t be completely happy with this either...I guess I''d wait and see what it looks like with the stone in it, maybe it won''t look as bad as you''re expecting. But if you''re not happy, no, for that amount of $ I wouldn''t try to "live" with something. I wish you luck on this.

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Ellen, I haven''t mentioned it yet. I wanted to have the stone set to see if it would look somewhat okay. I just can''t get myself to go look at it.
At this point I''m afraid they will just trow their hands up and say they can''t help me anymore. I swear I am not a difficult customer....just am not having luck with this setting I guess....Thanks again Ellen.

mrsv

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh that sucks. Is there a chance that the original setting could be made from scratch with thinner prongs? I think it is tough to alter things after they are completed, but perhaps if they did it from the outset the final product would be more pleasing to you.

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the response mrsv. They remade the ring completly the second time and I have no idea what happend to the original setting....
The original setting was crooked so I''m not sure that they could have fixed it....

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my heart goes out to you. There''s nothing worse than having something so special go wrong.

My only advice is that you MUST tell the jeweller about the corners. It''ll be easier for him to fix before setting your diamond (and could be quite an easy job). Don''t feel like you''re being awkward. You''ve paid a lot of money and should demand perfection.

Now, have a strong cup of coffee and make that call ............... In the meantime, I''m sending you a ((((hug))))

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate to hear you are having such trouble. I often take them a picture of what I want and seem to have good luck with that. Maybe find a photo here of someone else''s ring that looks like what you want and take that in with you. Good luck! You should have it exactly the way you want it.

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Oh! My heart just ached reading your post. Trust me, I know how frustrating it is to go through what you are going through. My advice is to keep at it until they get it right.
Do not settle for something you are not 100% happy with. I hope the issues get resolved soon and to your satisfaction. Sending good vibes your way.

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Thanks LovingDiamonds, I don''t think it''s someting the jeweler can fix. They would have to send the ring back to Martin Flyer to have the ring remade I''m afraid.
I need to call the jeweler today....

marcyc, thanks for the advice and kind words, the ring I ordered from martin flyer is one of their designs so I''m not sure how this happened. I was so confident that Martin Flyer would get it right....

Thanks everyone again....now I just have to make this call....
14.gif

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
lesco,

Thank you very much for the good vibes. You are right, I should not settle. But at this point I''m tempted to just ask for a refund and just walk away.

mrsv

Brilliant_Rock
Do let us know how it goes....just and FYI the cost of my LM setting (without the price of the pears) was similar to what you mentioned. If you cannot find a stock setting that makes your heart sing he might be able work something out for you. I also have some lovely things from both Quest in VA and WF in TX and would recommend both.

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Thanks mrsv, while I love leon''s settings I don''t think we can afford it...especially with all the pave involved. I guess it wouldn''t hurt to give him a call though.
Whiteflash might be my best bet since I live in Austin, TX.

The good news is we got our money back!! I''m so glad this is over with, I can finally breath again.

Thanks again everyone!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
My friend was recently quoted by LM for a ring with lots of pave - in the basket and two rows split shank (no halo). It was under what you paid. Maytal has great prices for the quality of work she does.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 1:48:27 PM
Author: idreamofice

The good news is we got our money back!! I''m so glad this is over with, I can finally breath again.

Thanks again everyone!!
Yay!
36.gif

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Charmypoo! I will give leon a call.

lol, Thanks Ellen!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results