shape
carat
color
clarity

Frustrating GIA grading inconsistencies....

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just got off the phone with the GIA, I had these two Diamonds graded for a client who is waiting patiently for their arrival. The grading results finally came in, all ok except GIA calling one a "cut cornered rectangular step cut" and its pair (both cut by us) a "square emerald cut".
Ok, GIA got me used to this fact that I need to live with such inconsistencies :( but they also called one culet description as a "none" and the pair's culet a "slightly large"!! (Two Kozibe effects clearly visible in the image). When addressing the GIA about these objective inconsistencies, they simply asked me to ask for a standard recheck?!?! I am guessing our and our clients time doesn't count.
IMG_1365.PNG

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, can't comment on that but wanted to say I'm drooling over the stones!! :love:

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
Were they able to explain the difference between a "cut cornered rectangular step cut" and a "square emerald cut"? Is the rectangular step cut is a few millimeters shy of being perfectly square, or something?

Especially strange about the culet, though. It seems like that one should be obvious.

Sorry for your, and your client's, frustration! I'd be confused too...

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stones!

I'm starting to wonder now whether a single location lab would provide more consistency...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got off the phone with the GIA, I had these two Diamonds graded for a client who is waiting patiently for their arrival. The grading results finally came in, all ok except GIA calling one a "cut cornered rectangular step cut" and its pair (both cut by us) a "square emerald cut".
Ok, GIA got me used to this fact that I need to live with such inconsistencies :( but they also called one culet description as a "none" and the pair's culet a "slightly large"!! (Two Kozibe effects clearly visible in the image). When addressing the GIA about these objective inconsistencies, they simply asked me to ask for a standard recheck?!?! I am guessing our and our clients time doesn't count.
IMG_1365.PNG

Good grief. Yoram, you cannot leave us without more details on those stunners.

I shall withhold all commentary on GIA inconsistencies (and my commentary would be plentiful) until you've provided more information. And I'm confident you await my input with bated breath :snooty:

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Were they able to explain the difference between a "cut cornered rectangular step cut" and a "square emerald cut"? Is the rectangular step cut is a few millimeters shy of being perfectly square, or something?

Especially strange about the culet, though. It seems like that one should be obvious.

Sorry for your, and your client's, frustration! I'd be confused too...
Both Diamonds are 1:1.05 ratio, that means they can swing both ways (rectangular &a square) together but shouldn't be one of each! Culet call is based on their default option that probably 99% of submitted Diamonds have "none" as culet calls. Still these and similar issues happen too often for this time and age, and I am not even touching their sketching knowledge or calls. That's for another frustrating tread.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wonder if it was a newbie who was doing the grading for one stone vs another who was more experienced.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's pretty crazy! Kind of like the way they handle European Cut rounds!

Those stones are pretty magnificent, no matter what they are called!:love::love::love:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just typical GIA and step cuts.
AGS isn't a lot better, I'v seen some weird calls from them also on step cuts.

yummy diamonds btw!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just typical GIA and step cuts.
AGS isn't a lot better, I'v seen some weird calls from them also on step cuts.

yummy diamonds btw!
AGS refer all Octavias as square emeralds?

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
How GIA call these diamonds in fact doesn't matter so much, but "culet none" when culet is obvious is confusing! This only prove that no laboratory is perfect, even the top rated!
In my opinion, labs have to stop giving strange names to the cut, instead the cut, they should only describe the shape - round, square, heart, cushion, rectangular, etc.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yoram,

With GIA having Lebenty Seben labs scattered here and there, it is not at all unusual for them to have difficulties in being consistent. I wonder if your diamonds were even graded at the same lab?

Please keep us posted on what they finally decide to issue as the final reports.

Wink

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not going to comment on the inconsistency (though I'm not the least surprised), but boy, those stones are TDF!! Can you share the plan for those beauties??

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA can suck sometimes, no doubt.
Sorry to hear it man:)
In NY, they might be a bit more.....willing to listen to reason.
We have our own service rep- and they do try to be helpful.
We've never had this sort of unexplainable inconsistency though....
I'll join the chorus of those who love all your emerald cuts - be they rectangular or square.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Where on earth am I going to be able to get one of these in the future if I'm here in Australia? Are these Octavias???

I presume through one of the PS vendors that works with Yoram?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you everybody who participated and read this thread...
Well, I did get a call back from a GIA rep admitting to their mistaken call on the culet identification. They even managed to correct the report without my involvement (or need to ask for a recheck). But talking to a higher ranking manager is becoming a tough task, I have asked to meet with "the" Lab manager for two days and they finally said that it "might" happen on Sunday. I need to clear up some old "name conventions" issues as well with them. One of their managers still owes me an answer for 3 months which I never got.
I'll keep you guys up to date...

Thank you all for your interest in my little GIA issue...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results